-- you need to go back to the Hitron. Not really. You can...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@plinka -- you need to go back to the Hitron.

Not really.

You can manually configure any Microsoft Windows computer to a "static" setting of DNS-servers, rather than "automatically" using the IP-addresses of the DNS-servers returned by your DHCP-request.

I believe your only option would be to disable the wifi a...

pjo
Grasshopper

I believe your only option would be to disable the wifi and install your own wireless router downstream of the the modem.

0 Kudos

-- your only option Not really "only".  You can configure...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@pjo -- your only option

Not really "only".  You can configure each computer to use "static" DNS-servers, e.g., 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8

instead of using the DNS-servers listed in the response to your DHCP-request for connection information (IP-address, domain-name, TTL-lease, gateway-IP, etc.)

0 Kudos

There is only one way to control your internet experience...

jwilliams0647
Grasshopper

There is only one way to control your internet experience with Shaw.  You have to bridge their modem and then plug in yours and with modems, you get what you pay for. If you are on a budget then pick one that you can download open firmware such as Tomato.

Another note if you are using a shaw modem it does not support wifi 6 which is support on the last two generations of iPhones and most new android phones along with new Chromebooks and laptops.  Wifi 6 makes a huge difference in your speed and the sq footage your router will cover.

As far as tech help with Shaw it makes a huge difference who you get.  I was having an upload speed problem my first agent tried to tell me that the 600 down i was paying for was not supported in my area and would have to be cut back to 300 when myself and many of my neibours had been solicited by shaw to upgrade.  Finally, after three different agents, I found one that did her research and advised there was a problem in my area that Shaw did not know what it was but were working on it. She promised to call me back but never did but the problem was fixed a few weeks later i noticed when checking the speeds

0 Kudos

I believe if f you're on a budget you shouldn't be consid...

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

I believe if f you're on a budget you shouldn't be considering an aftermarket router. DDRT and Tomato routers are costly. If they're not, you usually sacrifice performance over customization because you're likely buying an old model. Most people rarely customize their routers beyond what's typically found on ISP provided modems. 
 Customer service issues including ignorance from tech support is common now. One usually has to file formal complaints with the CCTS to get competent and knowledgeable staff to assist and resolve your issues. 

0 Kudos

-- One usually has to file formal complaints with the CCT...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Upfront6891 -- One usually has to file formal complaints with the CCTS to get competent and knowledgeable staff to assist and resolve your issues. 

No, the sky is not falling. 🙂

I never have had to file such a complaint; Always, I have gotten good help from Shaw Agents (telephone or chat) and from Shaw technicians (doing a site-visit to my home).

0 Kudos

What's extra frustrating about this, is they will not let...

jamiebenoir
Grasshopper

What's extra frustrating about this, is they will not let you use your own modem, yet they tag on $10/month for the privilege of using their garbage hardware. So if you want to have control over your DNS settings, port forwarding, etc. You have to pay out the Beep for a good router (when the hitron worked fine - and also had more than 2 ethernet ports) in addition to paying their outrageous monthly fee. This is an illegal practice called tied selling. 

tied selling means

• (a) any practice whereby a supplier of a product, as a condition of supplying the product (the “tying” product) to a customer, requires that customer to

• (i) acquire any other product from the supplier or the supplier’s nominee...

source: https://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-34/page-22.html#h-89522

Make a complaint to the competition bureau. https://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/frm-eng/GH%C3%89T-7TDNA5

Write your MLAs and MPs about this. MP: https://www.ourcommons.ca/members/en BC MLA: https://www.leg.bc.ca/learn-about-us/members

I'm so sick of being screwed over by our terrible telecoms. 

-- [Shaw] tag on $10/month for the privilege of using the...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@jamiebenoir -- [Shaw] tag on $10/month for the privilege of using their garbage hardware

I have a "two-year Value Plan", and I get a monthly promotional discount that matches the monthly rental fee for the cable-modem, giving a net cost of "zero" for it. Also, same offset of the rental fee for the Gateway PVR by a promotional discount.

Note that the XB7 cable-modem (currently available in Calgary) will be rolled-out to other regions. It has WiFi 6 and DOCSIS 3.1 and 2.5 GHz networking and 4 Ethernet ports, as you have stated that you want.

0 Kudos

For many of us, two-year contracts just aren't practical...

jamiebenoir
Grasshopper

For many of us, two-year contracts just aren't practical because we move around. The "free" monthly rental is only valuable because the modem is forced on you; furthermore, I'm sure that shaw hasn't accounted for these "discounts" in their overall pricing scheme.

Will shaw pay for the ethernet splitter I had to buy to accommodate the POS XB6? What a mess.

0 Kudos

-- Will Shaw pay for the Ethernet splitter I had to buy t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@jamiebenoir -- Will Shaw pay for the Ethernet splitter I had to buy to accommodate the ... XB6? 

Probably not. Did you mean "coaxial-splitter" ? Did you purchase a "Ethernet network hub" or a "Ethernet network switch" or "Ethernet router" ?

I helped a friend move on March 1, 2021. The Shaw installer supplied a 1-to-3 coaxial-splitter, to feed her Shaw Phone adapter, her Shaw PVR, and her Hitron cable-modem, at no cost to her.

> For many of us, two-year contracts just aren't practical because we move around. 

Many of us have not moved in many years, either because we own, or because our current monthly rent is much below what any other rental unit would cost. 

If you do plan to move, see: www.shaw.ca/moving/ for details about moving your Shaw services.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help