-- yes, of course, on each computer and device inside you...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@chadreitsma -- yes, of course, on each computer and device inside your home network, you can individually configure the network settings to use any DNS-server.

The "non-issue" here is users of the Hitron cable-modem can change the DNS-settings just once, on the Hitron, to have the those settings be used by all the computers inside your home network, as stated in a previous post in this thread.

However, the issue here is that users with either BlueCurve modem (XB6 or XB7) cannot change the DNS-settings on the BlueCurve.

If you don't understand what the issue is, then perhaps you shouldn't be commenting about it.

0 Kudos

I wasn't the one making excuses about messing with settin...

chadreitsma
Grasshopper

I wasn't the one making excuses about messing with settings I don't understand. Ridiculous.

0 Kudos

To run an adblocker, like a pihole.

dougler
Grasshopper

To run an adblocker, like a pihole.

0 Kudos

This is what I found when I was fiddling  around in the s...

pwrmngr66
Grasshopper

This is what I found when I was fiddling  around in the system maybe it’s got something to do with when I used to work for Sean. It allows me to

change everything so

F2588A3D-CD3B-4150-B20C-0EB1D0C2D2B6.png

780E82D5-4BDC-4F15-8B78-D6B5E395DE0C.png

0 Kudos

Everyone has that option, but we are unable to change DNS.

rstra
Grand Master

@pwrmngr66 

Everyone has that option, but we are unable to change DNS. 

0 Kudos

While Shaw does not support DNS, you can still manually s...

ilsebarrios
Grasshopper

While Shaw does not support DNS, you can still manually set up a DNS server on your devices. I was looking to install PiHole onto my network, and after searching a couple of forums, I found https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/how-do-i-configure-my-devices-to-use-pi-hole-as-their-dns-server/245 the bottom shows how to do this manually. Hope this helps 

0 Kudos

I have found the BlueCurve is very useless. It is not ver...

dleite123
Grasshopper

I have found the BlueCurve is very useless. It is not very configurable... At all!

To manually configure DNS with the Shaw Blue Curve modem/...

pack_rat
Grasshopper

To manually configure DNS with the Shaw Blue Curve modem/router to use Pi-Hole, it sounds like my options are:

1. Connect the pi-hole to router via Ethernet, then manually set each device to use the pi-hole as its DNS server.

2. Set the Blue Curve modem/router to bridge (or passthrough?) mode, then use my router so manually set the DNS server.

Does that sound correct?

0 Kudos

Yes

rstra
Grand Master

@pack_rat   Yes

0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply. I'll try those options out and see...

pack_rat
Grasshopper

Thanks for the reply. I'll try those options out and see how it goes.

Overall, it is frustrating. I am stuck with Shaw for another half year, but after that, on to something better.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help