The Plume pods (which the Shaw pods are rebranded version...

1800PP51DOODOO
Grasshopper

The Plume pods (which the Shaw pods are rebranded versions of) do support ethernet backhaul:

https://support.plume.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002331007-Does-hardwiring-pods-improve-Wi-Fi-performa...

The Shaw pods have this feature disabled, as confirmed by tech support on June 12, 2021. They had no information as to whether the feature would be enabled in a future firmware update or not.

0 Kudos

Not sure what you mean by "chained". I have a Nighthawk A...

dcchapman
Grasshopper

Not sure what you mean by "chained".

I have a Nighthawk AC1900 router configured as a WiFi AP (access point) connected to the LAN formed by my Hitron router.  It works fine and has done so for years. (I believe this is the configuration that the OP was hoping the BlueCurve Pods could support).  I am unclear what a Shaw Update could do to make this configuration not work for a "router" configured as an access point.

Some installations have the Hitron configured in bridge-mode or "passthru" whereby the functionality of the Hitron router and its WiFi access is disabled and the raw internet stream is bridged thru to the WAN port.  If this is the case then your NightHawk might have been configured as the main router providing DHCP (local IP address server).  If the Hitron got reverted to its normal router mode by a Shaw Update then having two operational routers in your network would definitely break things.  Is that what happened?

0 Kudos

Shaw, is there any documentation on the use  of the ether...

tc10
Grasshopper

Shaw, is there any documentation on the use  of the ethernet ports on the BlueCurve Pods? Can we use it for backhaul.  

I have kad this capability on my Netgear Orbi RBR50 an dit s satellite for at least 5 years. It real makes a difference.

I have searched to find very little documentation on these ports other than to connect a device rather than wifi. A few posts state that the Gigapods can use a port for backhaul  This would be very helpful as many old houses have lathe & plaster walls (Faraday cages).  

Please contact your supplier can provide us with an update.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

also, where is the link so that we can edit our replies???

tc10
Grasshopper

also, where is the link so that we can edit our replies???

0 Kudos

-- where is the "edit" link? It vanished, a few months ag...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@tc10 -- where is the "edit" link?

It vanished, a few months ago, when Shaw updated the software that provides this discussion forum.

[Scroll-down and click "Your Voice" to tell Shaw that you want this functionality restored.]

Also, please read the posting from 2021-06-12 12:03 PM   (above), that seems to answer your question about "backhaul".

0 Kudos

--  having two operational routers in your network would...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dcchapman --  having two operational routers in your network would definitely break things

I disagree. The HITRON & XB6 & XB7 routers have two operational channels (2.4 & 5 Ghz). The HITRON also broadcasts a third SSID for use by Freedom Mobile customers. My WiFi devices can also "see" the SSIDs of WiFi networks in my neighbours' homes.  So, my home is "saturated" by multiple WiFi "clouds".

0 Kudos

This backhaul ethernet function (feature?) is critical in...

tc10
Grasshopper

Editted

(submit a "Your Voice" to request this)

0 Kudos

Thanks MDK done & done. I submitted to "Your Voice" for...

tc10
Grasshopper

Thanks MDK

done   I submitted to "Your Voice" for

<editted>
I found the edit (white circle on grey on top left of post)

tuning on backhaul for gigapods - I need it due to faraday cage effect in our older home resulting in 10-20% wifi at best.

If others are interested hopefully they will do the same.

Cheers

To be more clear, what I was trying to say was: "If the H...

dcchapman
Grasshopper

To be more clear, what I was trying to say was: "If the Hitron got reverted to its normal router mode by a Shaw Update enabling DHCP service then having two operational routers, both providing DHCP service to your network, would definitely break things".

0 Kudos

--  faraday cage effect in our older home resulting in 10...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@tc10 --  faraday cage effect in our older home resulting in 10-20% WiFi at best

Power-off your Gigapod.

Take your WiFi device into the same room as the cable-modem, and note the signal-strength and run the Shaw Speed Test.

Move your WiFi device into an adjacent room (one room closer to where the Gigapod is), and measure & test.

Again, move your WiFi device into an adjacent room (another room closer to where the Gigapod is), and measure & test.

Repeat, if necessary.

Tell us your observations.

How many rooms are there between an outside wall of your home and the Gigapod?

How many rooms are there between the cable-modem and the Gigapod?

TALK TO US
We're here to help