Bridge mode, and Port Forwarding

emersonrosa
Grasshopper
My shaw modem is in bridge mode, it connects to my Orbi (RBR20) mesh router, I have opened the port in the Orbi, but it still seems to be closed form outside. I can't open ports in my Shaw modem since it is in Bridge mode. The reason why I set to bridge is so it would not broadcast a new Wifi and be causing clogging with the Orbi.
I have rebooted both modem and router multiple times after trying to open the port, I have tried the DMZ in the Orbi settings.
The Orbi UI is showing the correct public IP that I can check only, and is pulling that information from the ISP.
Any opinions ?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

-- if you can successfully "ping" the public IP-address o...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@emersonrosa -- if you can successfully "ping" the public IP-address of your own router, then the Shaw cable-modem is not blocking that traffic.

What port-numbers are you trying to use?

While the "ping" is active, do you see any activity on the lamp near the WAN port on your router, to indicate that your router is receiving those packets?

Presumably, you have a computer connected to a LAN port on your router.

Can that computer access web-sites on the Internet, to show that the responses to HTTP requests goes "out" of your computer, through your router, and through the Shaw cable-modem, and that responses are being received?

Have you defined port-forwarding on your router to forward the packets to a specific "private" IP-address within your local area network?

I presume that you have some app on your computer that is expecting input on your choice of port-number. Correct? 

Is that computer running Windows or MacOS or some variant of Linux? 

Is there "firewall" software on your computer that could be blocking unsolicited incoming traffic to your choice of port-number?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help