Jump to solution

> I am thinking to add a router behind the modem. > Can y...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I am thinking to add a router behind the modem.

> Can you please give a procedure about how to configure the Gateway and Router to make the router physically separate from the home network?

1. Buy a router.
  2. There is no need for any "configuration" on the Shaw devices.
  3. Temporarily connect your computer to one of the "network" ports on the router.
  4. Power-on the router.
  5. Reboot your computer, to get an IP-address from the router.
  6. From your computer, login to the router.
  7. Change the range of IP-addresses that the router hands-out to "192.168.123.xxx".
  8. Change the router's own IP-address to "192.168.123.100" as its "gateway".
  9. Reboot the router (if the above changes do not automatically force a reboot).
  10. Reboot your computer. It will get a new IP-address on the "192.168.123.xxx" subnet.
  11. Login to the router, and configure an SSID and password for your "guests" to use WiFi.
  12. Disconnect your computer from the router.
  13. Power-off the router.
  14. Connect the "Internet" port on the router to one of the "local network" ports on the Shaw device.
  15. Power-on the router.
  16. The router will obtain, from the Shaw device, a new IP-address on the "192.168.0.xxx" subnet.
  17. The router will supply IP-addresses on the "192.168.123.xxx" subnet to your guests' devices.
  18. The Shaw device will supply IP-addresses on the "192.168.0.xxx" subnet to your own devices.
  19. Because the guest devices are on a different subnet than your own devices, THEY CANNOT COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR DEVICES, AND VICE-VERSA, but the guests will have Internet access via the SSID/password you defined on your router.

QED.

Jump to solution

> I have a work crew on site for two weeks and don't want...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I have a work crew on site for two weeks and don't want to give out my main password.

> I don't want my whole network viewable by a guest,

My previous post (a few minutes ago) describes how to add a router to logically (not physically) create a separate subnet for either the work-crew or your guest(s) with a distinct SSID/password.

Because the "192.168.0.xxx" subnet cannot communicate with the "192.168.123.yyy" subnet, those "outsiders" cannot access your subnet.

Of course, with a lot of configuration changes on your router and on the Shaw device, it is possible to "route" traffic from one subnet to the other subnet.  But, that is not what you want, in this case.

P.S. Look on your local "buy/sell" web-sites (many of them owned by "www.used.ca") for any INEXPENSIVE router with wireless capability.  That router can be so old that it only supports the older "Wireless-G" communications, not the newer "Wireless-N" protocol nor the newest "Wireless-AC" high-speed protocols. Avoid older D-Link routers -- many of them have a firmware problem such that they don't work properly after 1/1/2013 -- yes, they have a "Y2K-plus-13" bug that forces you to power-cycle the D-Link router EVERY DAY.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I appreciate your feedback. A private guest network is no...

shaw-tony

@IslandPlanet @Xtech I appreciate your feedback. A private guest network is not an available option on the BlueCurve Gateway. It is still available on the Hitron/Cisco Advanced WiFi modems if you are looking for that specific feature.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Just signed up with Shaw and this is a big deal.  Didnt t...

slercara
Grasshopper

Just signed up with Shaw and this is a big deal.  Didnt think one would need to check if this feature was available.  I have people over at my house every week and for me this is a show stopper.

Time to reconsider if I should go back to Bell or fix a problem that only shaw has?

Jump to solution

Workaround: Guest network on BlueCurve

mpuk40
Grasshopper

...a possible workaround could be to separate the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz networks.

The BlueCurve Gateway offers both and there is an option to create separate SSIDs and passwords for each (rather than the default of same config for both upon initial configuration).

Login to internet.shaw.ca with your Shaw account details.

You will land on the Overview page. Immediately below you will see a line for Gateway status. And below that you will see your network name. Click on your network name.

Next page you will see your network name at the top. Immediately to the far right you will see a blue "Edit WiFi' button. Click this.

Tick the checkbox labelled 'Use different names and passwords for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks'.

Scroll down and adjust the network SSIDs and passwords to your preferences. Perhaps use the 2.4Ghz (slower) network for the guest network. Once you are done, scroll to the bottom and Apply Changes.

Hope that workaround helps. Good luck.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I was also hoping a guest network would be a feature and...

Logan_e138
Grasshopper

I was also hoping a guest network would be a feature and didn't even think to look in to whether or not it was, since separate networks are advertised on Shaw's commercials all the time. Separating 5g and 2.4g networks isn't an option as the combined network feature is required for the range extender pods and wireless receivers. And changing passwords at this point is a pain because then you have to re enter the new password in to ALL of the connected devices in your home (hubs, phones, thermostats, switches, plugs, lap tops, etc.) And lots of devices then also need their automation schedules and scenes re added. Not having a guest network isn't a show stopper for us, but is a nice feature to have. Hopefully Shaw will come up with a solution that will be easy to add or integrate in to existing networks and hardware

Jump to solution

Why are only the tech questions resolved and none of the...

clsmith
Grasshopper

Why are only the tech questions resolved and none of the wait time questions

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

That is ridiculous for a new device to not support a now...

Fletch15
Grasshopper

That is ridiculous for a new device to not support a now basic function of providing a guest network. 

Jump to solution

This is a significant miss to just "not mention," smarmy...

dfawsfvwaeszfvW
Grasshopper

This is a significant miss to just "not mention," smarmy customer service.

Jump to solution

I am extremely disappointed in Shaw. I cannot remember a...

Gerardo
Grasshopper

I am extremely disappointed in Shaw. I cannot remember a time when a guest network was not supported and I am not sure, except the modem must have cost less, what reason Shaw would have had for not supporting it now, but I do want Shaw to tell me the reason it believes that this feature is no longer warranted.

TALK TO US
We're here to help