Re: Can't get 300mbps, can't even get more than 95mbps.

dirtweed
Grasshopper

An Ethernet cable has a max capacity of 100 mb, most wired modems on computers are the same.  Wireless will actually get you higher speed closer to the router, I’ve tested this before.  It’s true.  A cable gives a more solid connection, but more bandwidth through wireless believe it or not.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Umm...  No, just no..  Completely no.

An Ethernet cable really doesn't have a maximum speed..  Category 8 will do 40 gbps.

Most wired modems and/or computers 100 mbps, not really..  Older stuff might still have 100 mbps network adapters, but they are not common.  My twelve year old laptop has a 1000 mbps adapter..

Either this computer only has a 100 mbps adapter, or something else is wrong.  The somethings that could be wrong is a short list, but still worth checking out because they are simple to check.

Wired is almost always better than wireless, consistancy probably being the most important.

If the said computer only has a 100 mbps network port, it is very unlikely to already have a faster WiFi card inside it. 

0 Kudos

dvongrad
Grasshopper

I did the free upgrade to 300 on December 4 and nothing was ever consistent for me. When I upgraded to 150 with the Hitron about 1.5 years ago, a speed test consistently gave me about 170 when coupled with the Asus RT-AC68U router and I was happy. But power cycling the modem did not get me anything near 300 on my desktop PC.

My desktop was custom built about 5 years ago. Its Asus PZ77-V motherboard has an Intel 82579-V Gigabit Network Connection built onto it. I’ve also tested a Surface Pro 4 with a Marvell AVSTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller. Both run the latest updates of Windows 10 Pro using only Windows Defender for antivirus. There is no difference in the firewall. The startup apps of each are different but I don't think any would cause the speed issue unless there are some obvious gotchas that someone can suggest. The primary hard drives for both are 500 GB SSD and each system has 16 GB RAM.

The desktop is connected directly to the modem with a 5e cable. With the Hitron, I expected close to 300 but I barely got 130. With the XB6, I can get 160 to 180. The Surface gets 300+ with the XB6 (either wired or Wi-Fi) but I’ve had to remove the Asus router to get those speeds—with it in the mix, I could get only 180 max. I can also get 300+ from an older Acer laptop wired into the XB6 (I have a screenshot where fast.com reported 1.1 Gbps one time!)—I wasn’t expecting much in Wi-Fi because it has only a 100 Mbps adapter.

For the desktop, I’ve tried a cat 6 cable, a dedicated network adapter, different 5e cables, different ports on either modem and modem resets—all without success. Speed tests from speedtest.net and fast.com gave expected results on the Surface and Acer—wired or not. Strangely, all the machines now say it can’t connect to a server and to try again later from speedtest.shaw.ca.

No one from Shaw (multiple online chats or on the phone and one service call), Asus, or Intel could come up with a solution. I suspect this is software related in that the network settings on the desktop are different than that of the Surface or Acer. I have gone through the adapter properties and Network and Sharing but I don't know what could be changed to resolve this issue without potentially making it worse. On several occasions, suggested troubleshooters couldn't identify the problem which is of no help to me. My last resort is to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 Pro x64 to see if that helps. I'll be faced with a 2-day task of a clean install (testing the speed as soon as I can after only the OS is installed) followed with dozens of apps and updates, but I will do this as an absolute last resort if I can be guaranteed the 300 Mbps from my existing PC hardware. I got 170 on the 150 plan with the Hitron, so I fail to see why I can’t get 300+ on the XB6 when none of the hardware has changed in years and yet the XB6 wired to other devices works perfectly fine.

chickitycha
Grasshopper

Have two of the exact same PC, both wired to the modem, as well as my PS4 wired in. One PC I get 300mbps, the other 170mbps, and the PS4 gets a steady 20MB/s. Haven't checked my wifi recently, but at least 1 PC is getting the 300mbps.

0 Kudos

dvongrad
Grasshopper

This is what I told Intel, thinking the onboard adapter was at fault:

"I got a new advanced modem from my ISP and all I could get was 160 to 180 Mbps. As my last resort, I rebuilt the system from scratch with a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. With the new modem in bridge mode and my router simply reset and configured with my desired network name, etc, I am now getting the expected download speed of 300+ Mbps. I checked the speed again after each major software install such as Microsoft Office and the Adobe creative Cloud suite which require logging in for their subscriptions. I will continue to check the speed after I install my other applications to see if there might be one that adversely affects the speed but I have my doubts any of them will be a problem as the majority of them have no access to the Internet or very little at most.

It seems to be as I suspected—there was some obscure setting in the network adapter configuration or perhaps some registry setting that may have adversely affected the download speed."

I just checked fast.com seconds before sending this reply. All is still good. It may be worthwhile for other users experiencing this problem to completely refresh their system before discounting the modem. If a clean system still has issues, it could be that the modem is defective or existing hardware isn't capable of handling advertised speeds.

0 Kudos

deercroft
Grasshopper

might not be your issue but on all my machines wired to router i get half download speed with 3 browsers--edge, IE, and chrome with 160-170 mbps. Firefox gives full 330 mbps. doesnt matter if i go incognito/private window or not

shaw tech hasn"t figured it out yet

0 Kudos

Not applicable

dvongrad wrote:

It seems to be as I suspected—there was some obscure setting in the network adapter configuration or perhaps some registry setting that may have adversely affected the download speed."

Yes, Speed & Duplex settings in Device Manager..  It is possible to force connection speeds.  10 half, 10 full, 100 half, 100 full, 1000, or Auto.

Different drivers sometimes call them different things or even have them separated, but yes, there are settings for that.

0 Kudos

dvongrad
Grasshopper

I wish I would have known that before rebuilding the system, but it gave me an excuse to do some cleanup, which was long overdue!

Thanks for mentioning that—my Speed & Duplex is set to Auto Negotiation now. If I run into any speed issues again, that'll be the first thing I check!

0 Kudos

Not applicable

One way to find out if your computers are putting out the 1gbps speeds is to transfer a large file between your computers on your own home network, something like a 1 to 2 gigabyte file. If windows file explorer shows the transfer speed being anywhere near 112 Megabytes a second, then your machines are running at gigabit speeds. Process of elimination, troubleshoot your own machines first. Also, I've read that turning off QOS (Quality Of Service) in network settings has helped some people, it didn't make any difference for me.

Regards:  Jack

0 Kudos

When it says 300mbs that means if I download something it...

rocks
Grasshopper

When it says 300mbs that means if I download something it'll do 300mbs? cuz i never an I download sometimes 1200gbs a month an I've never seen it go higher than 22mbs. I was actually thinking when i saw 22mbs was fasti downloaded aerofly 2 it has 123 gbs an it 6 hours to download mind i was watching youtube, but ihave 300mbs an I'm the only one who uses the internet. I know the connection uses half the time an disconnect the other half. I've never downloaded one game an it stay connect 2/3 its like 50/50 an i've seen a 10gb take well over an hour. I play world of warships an loading for it to start sometimes the game started an they shooting an I'm sitting there as long as 2 mins after everyone started, now I bought a hp omen last april an it has 16 gbs ram i7 7700hq I mean I can play all games on ultra. i don't know if this is what your talking about, but I mean i'm going to see how long a 10gb game should take at 300mbs, I've taken 3 attempts to download all my soundpools but i have 27 an if I even try to download all it'll freeze up on me everytime. there still not downloaded. these are the issues I've had since day 1 whn I bought my laptop last year I was calling hp they'd remote into my laptop then I'd have to factory reset it an it take me weeks an 8 to 10 hours a day for weeks to download my stuff again. my aerofly 2 with 123gbs took well over 5 hours to download an the peak it hit was 22mbs an that I swear on my daughters life, sole an happiness, an i use the blue curve i think its called. whats weird is my laptop has a dual feature you can use the wifi an the ethernet at the same time, so 1 for downloading other for streaming an if I'm downloading I'll litterly have to pause my game an go stop the downloading cuz my game is lagging so bad. but I'll tell you I've never seen 100mbs a second on steam ever an it records peak download speeds I've never seen 50 like I said when I saw 22 today i was like wow thats fast, an if i'm supposed to see 300 then someone forgot to give me that service cuz 22 mbs is the fastest on steam i've ever seen now i don't know if steam has a slower download or if thats possible, but yes steam has never seen 30 mbs but i'm going to  test different sites now thou 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help