Jump to solution

That is really strange, particularly for webmail. Shaw mu...

rstra
Grand Master

That is really strange, particularly for webmail. Shaw must have blacklisted the IP, normally, you can send on any provider. Maybe one of the @shaw-moderator can look in to this for you. Who is your VPN provider?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I see this is an older thread but I just experienced the...

LesKrus
Grasshopper

I see this is an older thread but I just experienced the same issue. I tried to send and email (Thunderbird Client) with Norton VPN running for the first time today and it would not send. The message I got was "An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: shw-obgw-4001a.ext.cloudfilter.net cmsmtp 35.183.22.142 is listed on Cloudmark CSI-Global. Please visit:// https AUP#IPBL1000." It appears the IP address is an Amazon.com address in Quebec. It appears Norton VPN is run on Amazon Web Services based in Quebec. It is clear that Shaw, as a service provider, is blocking sending emails through the VPN services. This is likely to cut down on spam emails that are not traceable. I get this, but when Shaw customers are doing their work through VPN sending regular emails, not spam, it is just an annoyance. Maybe Shaw is not going to be our provider any longer. Spammers, by sending spam emails through VPN providers, are making it much more difficult for privacy focused people to work on the internet  within a VPN, since ISP companies feel they need to blacklist VPN IP addresses due to this activity. I don't have a solution where I can continuously use a VPN service at this point. Just my two cents.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I am also frustrated with having to disable my VPN whenev...

Mentor
Grasshopper

I am also frustrated with having to disable my VPN whenever I wish to send a simple email with a Shaw account. Funny thing is I most often use a VPN server that's based right here in Vancouver. I have begun advising most contacts that I'm using Gmail since I have no issues sending or receiving with Gmail. So more and more people aren't even aware now that I'm a Shaw customer since I don't use a @shaw.ca email. That's actually less promotion for Shaw itself now. And I've been a customer for more than 20 years! I'm also switching most accounts I have (hydro, cell, and other service providers) over to gmail so I can reply to their messages WITHOUT having to DISABLE my VPN. No kudos for SHAW on the VPN front!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- I tried to send and email (Thunderbird Client) with No...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@LesKrus -- I tried to send and email (Thunderbird Client) with Norton VPN running for the first time today and it would not send. 

Correct. Shaw does not want any "spammer" to use a VPN to connect to their (outsourced) "CloudFilter" network. The point is that spammers do not "authenticate" (unless they are exploiting a compromised Shaw E-mail ID/password).

Configure your E-mail program to "authenticate" -- to pass your Shaw E-mail ID and password -- through the VPN to Shaw's mail-server. Once authenticated, you should be able to send through the mail-server at "smtp.shaw.ca".

By the way, what's the point of using any VPN service that is located inside Canada?

I can see the value of using a VPN service located in some other country, such as the USA, when you want to access a geographically-restricted server, such as the NBC "Peacock" streaming service, because its content is only licensed for distribution inside the USA. 

Otherwise, the VPN server only hides your Shaw IP-address from the web-server that you are choosing to access. To me, that's not much of a gain.  Also, routing "into" and "out" from the VPN-server to a web-server is going to be slower than a "direct" connection to a web-server.  Compare flying Vancouver -> Calgary -> Edmonton, instead of directly from Vancouver -> Edmonton. Extra time wasted at the Calgary airport. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

--  having to disable my VPN whenever I wish to send a si...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Mentor --  having to disable my VPN whenever I wish to send a simple email with a Shaw account

Again, this is a matter of configuring your E-mail client to "authenticate" to Shaw's mail-server before trying to send through that server. When NOT using a VPN, your Shaw-provided IP-address gives you authentication to use Shaw's mail-server. When using a VPN, authenticate before trying to use Shaw's mail-server.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Please see the reply from mdk on this page. You can also...

shaw-daniel

Please see the reply from mdk on this page. You can also report the issue of sending out messages using Shaw webmail to your VPN provider. If you run into an issue when using Shaw webmail without the VPN,  please reach out to our tech support team at shaw.ca/contact-us

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Years later, the problem hasn't been resolved. Can't conn...

JH-ISP-support
Grasshopper

Years later, the problem hasn't been resolved. Can't connect to SMTP through VPN.

Everyone on the planet advises VPN use as a very basic security measure. Shaw don't like it. Why stay with Shaw?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Same problem here. Almost 2023. MacOS Mail- NordVPN Canno...

JH-ISP-support
Grasshopper

Same problem here. Almost 2023. MacOS Mail- NordVPN

Cannot connect to SMTP through VPN.

1- Shaw says "Call Apple".

2- Apple says, "Call NordVPN".

3- NordVPN says, "Call Shaw".

4- Goto #1. Repeat ad infinitum...

A Shaw Helpdesk agent suggests that I don't use VPN at all. Well, thanks.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Agree, time to leave Shaw. They do not support vpn techno...

rondes
Grasshopper

Agree, time to leave Shaw. They do not support vpn technology, they have. 1 gig email storage capacity that constantly deletes 2 week old emails and their customer support has dwindled. I am switching to gmail- 15 gigs of memory and no vpn issues. Shaw does not care. They are jp for sale anyway.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I just picked up the Google Pixel 7 which has built in VP...

shamus_neeson
Grasshopper

I just picked up the Google Pixel 7 which has built in VPN and I was experiencing this as well. I didn't know what was going on and tried snoozing it to see if anything would change. I can ONLY send mail by snoozing it or turning off the VPN outright. 

0 Kudos