Couldn't connect to USB Storage Drive SOLVED

iamcharles
Grasshopper

Have Gateway Blue Curve Modem. Used ethernet cable to attach a new second router with USB port for hard drive. Worked for a while then couldn't access the drive. Ran Troubleshooter said I had a NAT problem. Found an article from PCWorld (How to identify and resolve double-NAT problems) then went to my router settings and found a Switch Mode section that allowed me to make the router an access point which turned off the NAT function. Appears to have solved the problem. Posting this as a heads up for others.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

wrote: Ran Troubleshooter said I had a NAT problem. A Sha...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@iamcharles wrote: Ran Troubleshooter said I had a NAT problem.

A Shaw router has a DHCP-server that gives out "private" IP-addresses: the 192.168.0.xxx range or the 10.0.0.yyy range, depending on which Shaw router you have.

It is probable that your own router has a default of giving out "private" IP-addresses in the 192.168.xxx.yyy range.

If you configure your own router to give out IP-addresses in a different range, e.g., 192.168.123.xxx, that will end the conflict of having two routers both using the same range.  No need to "bridge" the Shaw/Rogers router.  🙂

QED

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help