Jump to solution

Thanks for that. It is frustrating, that there is nothing...

cynarra
Grasshopper

Thanks for that. It is frustrating, that there is nothing I can do about it. I have been forwarding, with the original header, to the Shaw Reporting address and to internet abuse... but that won't do any good?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- but that won't do any good? Really? If Shaw did not ca...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@cynarra -- but that won't do any good?

Really? If Shaw did not care, then their "reportspam" E-mail ID would not be offered.

Shaw wants to keep you as a monthly-paying customer. That's one reason that they offer spam-filtering.

I have been told that 90% of the E-mail into a local University is "spam" or "phishing" attempts. That is astonishing. I wonder what percentage that Shaw is blocking.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- I see:    X-Reply-To: ⁨2022grahamwl-NsTQmiHhMw Can you...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@nanuuk -- I see:

X-Reply-To: ⁨2022grahamwl-NsTQmiHhMw

Can you add a "filter" to look into the "X-Reply-To" tag, where it contains "grahamwl" ?

Also:

> Received: from mail105.suw17.mcsv.net ([54.202.88.245])

> Received: from mail105.suw17.mcsv.net ([34.215.173.215])

> Received: from stereophile.com ([18.185.126.14])

> Received: from stereophile.com ([34.221.223.117])

> Received: from softdroid.net ([35.156.46.25])

All these IP-addresses are allocated to AMAZON AWS "Elastic Cloud" server-hosting:

Name:    ec2-54-202-88-245.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com
Address:  54.202.88.245

Name:    ec2-34-215-173-215.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com
Address:  34.215.173.215

Name:    ec2-18-185-126-141.eu-central-1.compute.amazonaws.com
Address:  18.185.126.141

Name:    ec2-34-221-223-117.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com
Address:  34.221.223.117

Name:    ec2-35-156-46-25.eu-central-1.compute.amazonaws.com
Address:  35.156.46.25

So, sending each E-mail, with full headers, to <abuse@amazon.com> is recommended.

Jump to solution

Mdk, you constant useless posts are doing nothing for thi...

kayos
Grasshopper

Mdk, you constant useless posts are doing nothing for this thread.  If you don’t have anything new to add you should probably just stop with the same thing over and over and let real support fix the issue.  You are almost as bad as the spammers we are complaining about.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- before the latest update to the software that this pee...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

-- before the latest update to the software that this peer-to-peer discussion forum uses, there was a "report inappropriate message" hyperlink that you could have used.By the way, this discussion forum has House Rules:

While we have Moderators comprised of Shaw experts, these forums are intended to be a platform for peer-to-peer communication that is friendly with useful information about Shaw-related topics. There are a few housekeeping rules that we want to share to ensure we can all participate in positive and constructive discussions. At the end of the day, we want you to feel safe and comfortable in sharing your thoughts

• Any posts that are deemed to be offensive, inappropriate, obscene or otherwise unwelcoming will be removed to preserve a healthy online community environment.
  • We are all responsible for cultivating a positive and respectful community by being courteous and friendly with one another.
  • We encourage honesty and transparency, but let’s all stay away from any sort of inflammatory language. 
  • Threads created with the appearance to incite anger or negative reactions will be closely monitored and subject to editing or removal. If you have a complaint or concern, please take the time to phrase it in a constructive manner.

Thank you for your continued participation in this peer-to-peer- forum. This forum is not a path to Shaw Support. Please contact Shaw Support, via Shaw's Your Voice, or via www.shaw.ca/chat or at 1-888-472-2222, and let real support fix the issue.  

@kayos

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I am getting a lot of junk emails still (March 7, 2021)....

BarbM
Grasshopper

I am getting a lot of junk emails still (March 7, 2021).  Seems like the filters are not working properly.  

Jump to solution

One of my email accounts returns email TO: Me (from perso...

whomever
Grasshopper
  1. One of my email accounts returns email TO: Me (from person that sends me email in the past) bouncing it back to him with a "554 mi06.dcs.int.inet cmsmtp Connection refused - 209.85.222.44 " which is Shaw refusing it. The 209.*.*.* is the Google spammers arena and is used the most by spammers, even if the email is spoofed, it's still resourced through googiedes 209.85.*.* mail severs. 
  2. Another of my Shaw email accounts is inundated with spam from Googles 209.85.*.*. servers. Google doesn't want any complaints about their related octet addresses. Shaw lets spam through, but bounces a legit email. 
  3. As one user pointed out there, settings in our online email account editor are missing. Went AWOL with no Shaw spam protection. 

Summary: I have one email address that for years had no spam. Zero, zilch, nadda which is now a spam collector.  The spam-free email addy  refuses all email from Gmail. NOT a setting I invented, and if I were (and should be) able to add the IPs octets I want, I won't have to wait weeks to start receiving email again, not just spam.

Passing the buck out of Shaw's responsibility won't fix the problem. Shaw looks ridiculous blaming end users and outside influences on the disappearance of the Email settings in Accounts and for bouncing legit email. 

Can't anyone at Shaw answer the question as to where the settings went without disguising a response as a redirect.

I know you are just a volunteer  and have no pull over Shaw, but you have inside connections and maybe it's time to let them know that email is back to where it was 25 years ago. Time the Shaw fees reflect that rate along with it's retro email.

Gotta go - more spam just arrived. Mopping up to do after Shaw.

~w~

Jump to solution

-- 209.85.222.44 which is Shaw refusing it That IP-addres...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@whomever -- 209.85.222.44 which is Shaw refusing it

That IP-address is used by Google:

Name:    mail-ua1-f44.google.com
Address:  209.85.222.44

Maybe, your conjecture -- Google [is a] spammers arena -- is correct, and maybe Shaw is "rate-limiting" the number of messages per hour that it will accept, before switching to the "connect refused" message.

It's quite possible that compromised GMail IDs are belching out vast quantities of spam E-mail targeted at "@shaw.ca" E-mail IDs. Or, the GMail IDs were created by the spammers.

If you are getting spam E-mail from Google's mail-servers, or citing a GMAIL ID in the "Reply-To" field, use their web-form:

https://support.google.com/mail/contact/abuse

to report that spammer's message.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Every time you forward email headers to our spam team, th...

shaw-tony

@cynarra @BarbM @whomever Every time you forward email headers to our spam team, they update our filters accordingly. The weekend is when the most spam is generated and our teams are manually cleaning it up. The filters are working as expected and not related to the previous incident.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I don't understand why you repeated information I provide...

whomever
Grasshopper

I don't understand why you repeated information I provided as a answer to what I provided.  But - they say plagiarism is the best form of flattery.

As for any "conjecture", (1) I am not a Goggie, (2) Have not been assimilated, and (3) I'm not a part of the collective and can see and read and track spam. Most spam comes out of Google spoofed, or a hijacked address, or as plain and simple shaw@gmail.com warming me to log in or lose my account (where shaw@gmail is spoof). Second worse, amazonnaws and OVH in that descending order. You don't have to repeat it back.

Clearly, Shaw has a problem lately, as per the many complaints about spam.  Suggesting customers spend the long time trudging through Googles gobbledygook and befuddlement does not explain why our access to our email accounts to change spam settings was taken from us. Did some kid choke on it or is this Shaw's new free DIY plan? As I understand it, Shaw WAS using SBLs like professional ISPs do - what happened? Many of the spams through Shaw I get are listed in SBLs. 

The following explains why this OP is not "Solved"....

He didn't send the spam as you conjectured. He sent me a copy of his email that was sent to me but rejected by SHAW. And you told me to pound sand at Google.

He forwarded this to me showing that Shaw bounced it back to him because of his legit Google IP. I checked SBLs and that IP is/was not on the SBL.

• ---------- Forwarded message ---------
    From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <mailer-daemon@googlemail.com>
    Date: Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 11:57 AM
    Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)
    To: <hisname@gmail.com>

Message not delivered
    There was a problem delivering your message to whomever@shaw.ca. See the technical details below, or try resending in a few minutes.
    The response from the remote server was:

554 mi06.dcs.int.inet cmsmtp Connection refused - 209.85.222.44 *{{not on the SBLs}} 

* My comment
Of course, I do not have the full headers because it was a forward, but it goes well beyond what you provided as a answer - contact Google? They have no control over Shaw email.  Google didn't bounce it - Shaw did - without any reason. Some people that post here do have experience in varied areas. Just because we're customers doesn't mean we're clueless. 

I've yet to see a explanation as to why we may no longer log into our account and turn anti-spam on, rate it, or 'accept it' options. 

Lastly, your response does not merit the "Solved" stamp of go away. It is not solved.

~w~

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help