Jump to solution

Why did you include me in your story about spam? My post...

whomever
Grasshopper

Why did you include me in your story about spam? My post has nothing to do with spending time forwarding spam to Shaw. It questions why a legit email sent to my address @shaw was rejected by Shaw because of a NON SBL address. Yet, known spammers listed in the SBLs gets through. 

Topics that anyone can see is spam.

• You have a package waiting UPS@whatever.xyz
  • URGENT: Your Shaw account will be blocked. Login to your Shaw account now to - (via Outlook to .co.uk, to OVH to Shaw. 
  • ED? We have the cure (from name@gmail.com)
  • Canada Post parcel waiting (gmail again)
  • I am looking to find some good memories (gmail)
  • We have now completed the payment against your invoice (amazonnaws and OVH)

and dozens more every day, all easily seen as generic spam, phishing, and worms. Out of the 34 email addresses I manage, including 9 accounts with Shaw, only one Shaw email address is inundated with garbage. These are not new kinds of spam, they are old as sin itself and yet Shaw sends them on through.

I doubt the 'spam team' reads every email forwarded to abuse (or wherever@shaw) to test if it is really spam or not. It would be much more cheaper to subscribe to SBLs. 

To go years without spam, and then suddenly all the generic cut & paste scams, phish, worms and spam show up. Naw. Too hard to swallow. Sorry Tony, and as you might remember, I support the hard work people do here in the "Community" to help address customer issues, but this time - I'm shocked. 

~w~

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

"Can you add a "filter" to look into the "X-Reply-To" tag...

nanuuk
Grasshopper

"Can you add a "filter" to look into the "X-Reply-To" tag, where it contains "" ?"

I am not exactly sure how to do that and what it would accomplish.

As far as AWS goes, I contact them directly some month back and they even put me onto AWS support. I do not have an AWS account. Amazon just told me to change my communication preferences. They were already set to no commercial e-mails for Amazon.ca and Amazon.com.

I'll revisit those sites.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I found this with a google search. It is an unsubscribe e...

nanuuk
Grasshopper

I found this with a google search. It is an unsubscribe e-mail link with AWS.

https://pages.awscloud.com/communication-preferences

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- >> Can you add a "filter" to look into the "X-Reply-To...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@nanuuk --

>> Can you add a "filter" to look into the "X-Reply-To" tag, where it contains ...

> I am not exactly sure how to do that and what it would accomplish.

Launch Shaw WebMail

Click "Preferences"

Click "Filters"

Add a new filter, selecting "SUBJECT", and put one apostrophe, such as the contraction of "it is OK" to "it's OK", into the "contains" field

Click "Browse", and select the "Junk Mail" folder

Click "Save"

This will accomplish the automatic moving of any incoming E-mail containing the apostrophe character in the SUBJECT line into your "Junk Mail" folder, rather than staying in your "Inbox" folder.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

So I’m guessing Shaw is ignoring on this issue.  Nothing...

kayos
Grasshopper

So I’m guessing Shaw is ignoring on this issue.  Nothing has been done in weeks.  Maybe use a SBL at the least would be a good start.  The spam coming through is the most basic of all.

Jump to solution

--  Nothing has been done in weeks. This is a "Catch 22"....

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@kayos --  Nothing has been done in weeks.

This is a "Catch 22". You are not seeing how many messages that Shaw has blocked, either a month ago, or this week.

Jump to solution

Good tip. But for many, I feel is the tip of the iceberg...

whomever
Grasshopper

Good tip. But for many, I feel is the tip of the iceberg because A: many have no idea what "full headers" are and don't want to know. And B: many that do know would probably not appreciate more learning curves tossed at them plus tasks added to their already heavy use of digital attachments. C: they don't have the time to manually take out the trash; i.e. cleaning house after their own ISP fails them by allowing garbage trucks to dump what they want through customer windows. 

Some ISPs spam control onus has been handed down to the end user to deal with spending even more time creating filters. Why? Probably economics. Shut down the Spam Block List (SBL) costs and re-write and prioritize those much needed servers to handle the 'Higher than normal call volumes..." 😁

Then a memo from the black ivory towers dictates that the Anti-spam "team" support the unemployment line by example to be replaced with a design by GIGO's staring **A.I.

~w~

* GIGO: Garbage In, Garbage Out
** A.I: Artificial Idiot

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- many have no idea what "full headers" are and don't wa...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@whomever -- many have no idea what "full headers" are and don't want to know

For those who do want to know --- in Shaw WebMail, click on "Actions", then click on "Show Original".

Then, for Microsoft Windows users, hold-down the CTRL key, type one "A", and release both keys,

then hold down the CTRL key, type one "C", and release both keys.

You have now copied all of the original message, with "full headers", to the Windows clipboard.

Then, visit www.shaw.ca/reportspam and follow the steps to "paste" from the clipboard.

QED

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Perhaps I don't understand but I found the link you gave...

whomever
Grasshopper

@mdk 

Perhaps I don't understand but I found the link you gave is for "Phone Spam" not email spam. There are two choices of what someone is reporting for Shaw; neither address email spam. 

I have sent spam to abuse@shaw.ca but it came back a few days later with a robo-note stating my submission was too old. I reported it as soon as the email arrived, within 5 minutes of it arriving. 

Too, that's a load of work for most people who have sudden;y started to receive mounds of generic spam, once easily blocked by Shaw, but no longer. Also gone is the option to decide if want Shaw ads or not, to detect spam and mark it and send it anyway, or to delet marked spam before we even see it. Now it's see loads of it, spend time copying and pasting full source to, what I have been told is "the Team". Then Shaw's "team" will analyze, digest, and if they agree, mark it as spam. 

On the browser mail system, there are no options to block IPs, just build filters, that Shaw no longer does? Equates to millions of people building individual filters for the same spam. That's a lot of bytes stored on a lot computers for the same thing. Makes me wonder just how much Shaw is saving by removing those 3 options, and drop using SBLs.

Side note: Those 2 35 - 45 minute wait for a call-back from Shaw is sure taking a long time. Twenty-four hours late now! And still waiting.

~w~

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- from a Shaw web-site: Reporting spam using 3rd party e...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@whomever -- from a Shaw web-site:

Reporting spam using 3rd party email apps

If you would prefer to report spam Shaw through your 3rd party email app:

1. Forward the spam email to reportspam@shaw.ca.
  2. Include the spam's email headers into the body of your email.

How to view email headers varies by email app.

==========================

Correct the highlighted errors and try again.

• Your post has been changed, because invalid HTML was found in the message body.
  • The invalid HTML has been removed.
  • Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help