Jump to solution

If you unplug it, it's no longer powered, and all transmi...

Techjunkie
Grasshopper

If you unplug it, it's no longer powered, and all transmission/receiving stops.

It makes no difference if it's still connected to the coax.

No power supply, no nothing.

Jump to solution

Same here. 6 hidden high powered SSID. I literally wrappe...

myevit
Grasshopper

Same here. 6 hidden high powered SSID. I literally wrapped modem with aluminum foil. Instantly from -50db to -70db and less interference to my wifi switches and SONOS speakers.

Untitled.jpg

Jump to solution

-- from your "Net-Stumbler" (or some other similar "sniff...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@myevit -- from your "Net-Stumbler" (or some other similar "sniffing" software):

Some neighbour of yours, with both 2.4 Ghz & 5 Ghz networks:
74:83:C2:D6:D0:18 LAN Before Time
74:83:C2:D6:D0:19 LAN Before Time

8E:57:9B:06:09:60 Your BRAVIA TV's WiFi adapter

44:FE:3B:9B:CD:D9 TELUS 8EBF - a neighbour's WiFi

10:78:5B:FE:11:92 LSVG - another neighbour's WiFi

SSIDs on your cable-modem/router:
A0:FF:70:17:57:9A the "open sea" SSID you said that you defined
A0:FF:70:17:57:9B Hidden Network
A0:FF:70:17:57:9C OutOfService
A0:FF:70:17:57:9D Hidden Network
A0:FF:70:17:57:9F Hidden Network

Did you define just one WiFi network (2.4 Ghz & 5 Ghz) with the "open sea" SSID, and "disable" the other network, to make it "out-of-service", or are you enabling "band-steering", so that a WiFi adapter can choose the "better" connection: 2.4 or 5 Ghz ?

After you power-off the cable-modem/router, please repeat the scan, to see which SSIDs are still present.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

There are also A0:FF:70:17:57:A5, A0:FF:70:17:57:A7. Open...

myevit
Grasshopper

There are also A0:FF:70:17:57:A5, A0:FF:70:17:57:A7. Which makes it 7 SSIDs.

Open Sea is the SSID I name when I was setting up new Blue Curve modem. And right after initial set up I've put it into the bridge mode. I've done power cycle - same all SSID are up. I've turned it back to normal mode, disabled WIFI, put it into the bridge again - same wifi. So I just wrapped it up with aluminium foil, now -70db, finally. but all SSID are still there.

This scan done when modem is in the bridge mode. WiFi suppose to be disabled.

Unplug the blue curve - no SSID.

By the way my router is on the main floor in the center, and blue curve is in the farthest corner in the basement. -50db and -51db! That's a lot of power. More power = more interference. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Open Sea is the SSID I name when I was setting up new...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@myevit -- Open Sea is the SSID I name when I was setting up new Blue Curve modem. And right after initial set up I've put it into the bridge mode. I've done power cycle - same all SSID are up.

That is weird, unless you have two devices broadcasting that "Open Sea" SSID. Maybe, a range-extender is repeating that SSID?

The whole point of "bridging" the cable-modem is to disable its broadcasting of your SSID. The BlueCurve *always* broadcasts those "hidden" networks, for exclusive use of those Shaw TV players in other rooms in your home.

After "bridging" (and a power-off/power-on), connect one computer to the BlueCurve, and open a command-line prompt, and enter IPCONFIG, and press Enter.  What is the IP-address assigned to the computer? Does it start with "10.0" or "192.168" or "24."? The first two IP-addresses indicate that the BlueCurve is still in "router" mode. That "24." IP-address indicates that the BlueCurve is getting a "public" IP-address from Shaw's DHCP-server, not from your "bridged" modem.

> More power = more interference

Not necessarily. Your other devices should automatically use a different WiFi channel, to minimize the interference from the one channel that the cable-modem is using.

> Unplug the blue curve - no SSID

You should still be able to see the BRAVIA and those TELUSnnnn networks.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I don't have extenders and don't use Open Sea SSID name....

myevit
Grasshopper

I don't have extenders and don't use Open Sea SSID name.

I have public IP assigned to my personal router. Bridging is working

>>> More power = more interference

>>Not necessarily. Your other devices should automatically use a different WiFi channel, to minimize the interference from the one channel that the cable-modem is using.

In my cause - I had it.

>> Unplug the blue curve - no SSID

>You should still be able to see the BRAVIA and those TELUSnnnn networks.

Of course I see all WIFIs around me, just without 7 SSID A0:FF:70:17:57:XX - clearly it's from Blue Curve

My understanding - firmware bug. But I do want have just a simple modem. Apparently it's too difficult for Shaw to have.

Jump to solution

-- My understanding - firmware bug. I disagree. The Blue...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@myevit -- My understanding - firmware bug.

I disagree. The BlueCurve uses WiFi to communicate with the Shaw TV players (in other rooms in your house), whether or not the BlueCurve is "bridged".

> But I do want have just a simple modem. Apparently it's too difficult for Shaw to have.

A local "Shaw Business" customer has a HITRON modem with 4 Ethernet sockets, *NO* fan (making it QUIET), and built-in WiFi, but *NO* support for Shaw TV players.  They do not disable its WiFi, but they could.

This model of the HITRON (which is not the same one as Shaw Residential customers get) is what Shaw currently does offer.

P.S. The BlueCurve modem also offers a separate WiFi network, for use by Shaw's "Freedom Mobile" and "Shaw Mobile" customers to connect to WiFi. Customers can enable/disable this network.

Jump to solution

The BlueCurve modem doesn't have the hotspot enabled.  ht...

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk The BlueCurve modem doesn't have the hotspot enabled. 

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/service-updates-outages/shaw-hotspot/ta-p/6066

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- doesn't have the hotspot enabled. Not now, I presume....

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra -- doesn't have the hotspot enabled.

Not now, I presume. But, from the web-page that you cited:

Which modems are now broadcasting this secondary WiFi network?

• Shaw’s Hitron Advanced WiFi modems are now broadcasting this secondary WiFi network.
  • The XB6 Advanced WiFi modem is also capable of broadcasting this secondary WiFi network, and is expected to launch at a later date.

I wonder what that "later date" will be.  :-^

I am hoping for an "earlier date" for provisioning 100 Mbps uploads through my HITRON.  🙂

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

It has been that way for a few years, there was some push...

rstra
Grand Master

It has been that way for a few years, there was some pushback after the initial launch, so I am not sure if Shaw will ever launch it for BlueCurve. 

As for the Hitron and the faster upload speed, it may not be capable because it is only DOCSIS 3.0. It is a superior modem and wish they would make a DOCSIS 3.1 version available to residential internet only customers. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help