Does the Shaw Fibre+ Gateway (XB6) have a Smart Queue Management option?

JoeyBob
Grasshopper

I am getting a lot of buffer bloat and was wondering if the router has SQM or any settings that prioritizes devices with small queues. I can't seem to find any such setting.

If the firmware it has doesn't support SQM, does anyone know if the router allows for downloading open source router firmwares like OpenWrt that support such functionality?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

-- does anyone know if the router allows for downloading...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@JoeyBob -- does anyone know if the router allows for downloading open-source router firmware like OpenWrt that support such functionality?

Since the Shaw boxes are a combination of a "modem" (modulator-demodulator) and a "router", I would very-much doubt that there is any alternative firmware that emulates both functions of the Shaw boxes.  Note that software like OPENWRT receives Ethernet traffic, and distributes that traffic; the third-party routers compatible with OPENWRT lack that "modem" functionality.

I doubt that the Shaw Network Engineers would allow you to connect a "non-Shaw" modem to their network.

How are you measuring "buffer bloat" and how does it affect you?

Have you tried "bridging" the Shaw modem, and using one of these routers:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/list-of-smart-queue-management-sqm-routers.47183/

that do support SQM ?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help