download speed not ideal at all

WendyRmd
Grasshopper

I have subscribed to Internet 300 for years.  i have the modem wired downstairs (for TV) and have my computer and wifi modem upstairs now far where modem located downstairs.  The  average download speedtest I got is in between 23 mbps and 30 mbps, worse that an Internet 50 plan.  sometimes i wonder the wifi modem they provide me is that a not so good refurbished / reset one.  i had gone to the shop and exchanged once already about a year ago i guess.  am not joking...it's average 25mpbs download speed and sometimes even have the intermittent disconnected.  

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

that is certainly slower than expected. Have you only rec...

shaw-tony

@WendyRmd that is certainly slower than expected. Have you only recently noticed the slow speeds? What current troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

0 Kudos

> i have the modem wired downstairs (for TV) and have my...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> i have the modem wired downstairs (for TV) and have my computer and wifi modem upstairs now far where modem located downstairs. 

Do you have a laptop with an Ethernet port, and an Ethernet cable (labelled "CAT-5e" or "CAT-6", not just "CAT-5"), that you can directly connect to that downstairs modem? What speeds do you get? Note that laptops require at least a dual-core 2.0 Ghz processor, to run the Shaw Speedtest at full speed.

Bring the wireless modem downstairs, and directly connect it to your Shaw modem, again avoiding the use of a "CAT-5" cable. Connect your laptop to your mode, and repeat the test. What speeds to you get?

The "CAT-5" Ethernet cable is only certified to 100 Mbps -- slower than your "Internet 300" service. Use "CAT-5e" (1000 Mbps) or the even-faster "CAT-6".

Are you using a CAT-5E cable to connect from "downstairs" to your wireless modem "upstairs" ?

Upstairs, are you speed-testing via WiFi on your computer, or via an Ethernet cable?

Is your WiFi modem capable of 10/100/1000 speeds, or just 10/100 speeds?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help