E-mail Slowdown Again

appleMacTech
Grasshopper

OK, so I updated to iOS 13.4.1 on my iPhone 8 Plus quite a while back and painstakingly deleted my 8 IMAP e-mail accounts and started fresh and created new ones, all Exchange accounts again this time (like they originally were). Things seemed to work good for about 2 months. This morning, I get up and it's "here we go again, what did Shaw do overnight"?

This is similar to my other (long) post (SHAW TICKET # ENOP0007174):

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-discussions/talking-forever-to-check-e-mail/m-p/14795

Makes no difference if I'm using my own Wi-Fi network or my neighbor's Wi-Fi network or a coffee shop Wi-Fi network or ShawOpen or Rogers Cellular. It is randomly taking up to 40+ seconds again to check all 8 of my Shaw e-mail accounts using Apple Mail (there are NO other e-mail accounts on my iPhone anymore). I say randomly because sometimes checking all 8 accounts will happen in about 3 seconds, most of the time is more like 20 to 25 seconds. Every fourth or fifth time, it takes 40 seconds or more. This is a very inconsistent problem as it has been all other times in the past. A year ago, it took about a half a second to check all 8 accounts

What happened? Which "patches" did Shaw apply this time? Keep in mind that I am an ACMT (Apple Certified Macintosh Technician) with close to 30 years of experience working exclusively with Macs. This is NOT a problem on my end. Something has changed again at Shaw -- it drains my battery, uses up my data plan and drives me insane on top of it all.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

> it drains my battery, uses up my data plan How often is...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> it drains my battery, uses up my data plan

How often is your E-mail client "refreshing" -- contacting the IMAP server, to check for brand-new messages?  Doing that "too often" will drain your battery, and will eat-up your data plan.

I've been using an iPhone for years, ever since they were...

appleMacTech
Grasshopper

I've been using an iPhone for years, ever since they were invented. This has never happened on my iPhone before -- not until last December when Shaw admittedly made changes that affected Apple Mail clients (go back and read my older posts). I'm an Apple Tech, this has absolutely nothing to do with "refreshing" as you call it. It has nothing to do with the way my iPhone is set up (all exchange accounts, not IMAP). This is a 100% pure Shaw problem.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help