Email storage space

TrojanRotts
Grasshopper

I'm having a problem with my new computer. I used a different email program before, where once the old computer downloaded my emails, they would come off the server, so my webmail would be empty (I was fine with this).  Now with the new computer, it has synced with the Shaw server, and Shaw webmail (via my iphone) is storing all downloaded emails from my computer.  I have constantly reaching the 1000 mb limit.  How do I change the settings so that my webmail empties every time I download my emails to the computer?  Computer is using Windows Mail.

ADDING:  I have gone in and changed from IMAP to POP settings, but that doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Labels (1)
10 Replies

-- POP has an option to "leave mail on server for NN days...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@TrojanRotts -- POP has an option to "leave mail on server for NN days".

Is your iPhone really using POP to download all your messages, and then does the iPhone delete the messages from Shaw's server?

Within Shaw WebMail, move the mouse-pointer over the name of the "Sent" folder, and "hover" there. After a few seconds, you should see "123 messages occupying 456 MB", or something like that. Can you delete some messages from that folder, and then "empty trash" ?

0 Kudos

Where is the option?   Nothing is being deleted from the...

TrojanRotts
Grasshopper

Where is the option?   Nothing is being deleted from the server.  

I empty the trash, spam, etc., several times a day. I delete all emails I don't need to keep.  Making more room is NOT an option, and I've already asked if I can buy more space, also not an option.

I just want to be able to keep all my emails on my home computer.  And when I check my email on my phone, etc., I just want to be able to see the new emails (I want NOTHING kept on the server, as I will constantly be at the 1000mb limit).

It doesn't matter if I check my webmail on a remote computer, or my iphone, all the emails are staying on the server. I want them emptied every time I download emails to my home desktop.  My old computer was set up this way for many years. I can't get it to do it with the new one, and I've gone through my Shaw Webmail options to try and set it to not store messages on the server, but can not find that option.  On Telus, it is easily done. On Shaw, not so (unless I'm missing something  very obvious?)

-- It doesn't matter if I check my webmail on a remote co...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@TrojanRotts -- It doesn't matter if I check my webmail on a remote computer, or my iphone, all the emails are staying on the server.

Shaw WebMail is an IMAP client -- mail stays on Shaw's server, counting against your limit.

Your phone probably is an IMAP client.

If your new computer is configured as an IMAP client, mail stays on Shaw's server.

To delete a message from Shaw's server, "double-delete" it -- delete it from your INBOX, and then delete it from your TRASH folder.

In Shaw Web-mail, hold down your keyboard's SHIFT key, and then click DELETE, to do the "double-delete".

There are more details about POP & IMAP on a Shaw web-page.

Thank you, I know how to delete from the shaw server, etc...

TrojanRotts
Grasshopper

Thank you, I know how to delete from the shaw server, etc.  But when I do that, it is also deleting from my computer, which I can not have happen. So if I can't change my phone or computer to a non IMAP client (ie. POP), then I basically only can have what I can save on the Shaw Server (meaning only 1000 mb)?  If that's true, that's insane.

I am trying to use online Outlook with POP settings (with DO NOT STORE EMAILS ON SERVER clicked) and I was able to get all my emails but unfortunately, they all still saved on the Shaw server.

-- But when I do that, it is also deleting from my comput...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@TrojanRotts -- But when I do that, it is also deleting from my computer, which I can not have happen.

That is how IMAP is supposed to work. If you "double-delete" on any device, the other devices synchronize, to reflect your action of deleting.

What E-mail program do you use on your new computer? For example, Microsoft Outlook can create "Local Storage Folders". Messages dragged-and-dropped into this folder occupy space on your computer's "C:" disk-drive, instead of on Shaw's mail-server.

> if I can't change my phone or computer to a non IMAP client (ie. POP), then I basically only can have what I can save on the Shaw Server (meaning only 1000 mb)?  If that's true, that's insane.

That is how IMAP is supposed to work -- your E-mail is accessible, using IMAP on any computer that is logged-on to Shaw's mail-server.  GMail & Hotmail are the same -- full-access to all the messages, from any authorized computer.

> I am trying to use online Outlook with POP settings (with DO NOT STORE EMAILS ON SERVER clicked) and I was able to get all my emails, but unfortunately, they all still saved on the Shaw server.

That is strange. The whole principle of POP is to move the messages from Shaw's mail-server onto your computer's "C:" disk-drive. If you logout from all your IMAP-using computers, after POP'ing, do the messages still show when using Shaw WebMail to view the INBOX folder?

TrojanRotts this is my problem too. Did you ever get this...

1Moe
Grasshopper

TrojanRotts this is my problem too. Did you ever get this issue resolved? If so, can you please tell me what you did?

0 Kudos

-- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum. Please...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@1Moe -- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum.

Please read the previous posting about "local storage folders" -- E-mail messages that are stored only on your computer, making them unavailable to Shaw WebMail and to any E-mail program on any iPhone. Such messages are NOT counted as part of your 1000 Mbytes "quota" of E-mail messages.

0 Kudos

I have the same problem as TrojanRotts. I am using MS Out...

Pus
Grasshopper

I have the same problem as TrojanRotts. I am using MS Outlook (set up as IMAP) and followed your advice and set up a Local Storage Folder on my Home computer. This works in that it saves my emails on my home PC but it is inconvenient having to drag them into this folder and if I am out of town for a week or so, I am not able to do this and will exceed the 1000 MB quota on the Shaw server. When I am out of town, I use an iPad to connect to Shaw Webmail but I am unable to open most of the attachments to my email on my iPad. If I exceed the quota when I am away from home, I could delete some email notes on my iPad but don't want to do this if I can't open the attachment as then I would never know what the attachment contained and lose that information permanently. I think my only option is to change my MS Outlook email account from IMAP to POP3 but am anxious about doing this as I do not understand If this is possible and I am afraid it might mean I inadvertently lose some of my emails. Is it possible to change from IMAP to POP3 on my current email account or would I have to uninstall MS Outlook and reinstall it?

0 Kudos

-- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum. You did...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Pus -- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum.

You did get a response to one of your other postings, at: I have this problem too. My Shaw webmail account i... - Shaw Support

So, please access that "thread" on this discussion forum.

You also got a response at: https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-discussions/webmail-not-handling-attachments/m-p/46810

Please do not "double-post", or "triple-post".  Thank you.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help