email

jimjaarsma
Grasshopper

I've been told that it's not possible to automatically delete emails from the server after it has been downloaded to my home computer. Is this info accurate? I never had this problem in the past but over the last number of months I keep getting automatic warnings that I'm approaching the maximum 1G quota that's permitted.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies

-- It depends on which E-mail "client" app you are using,...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@jimjaarsma -- It depends on which E-mail "client" app you are using, and how you have configured it.

One configuration-option is "POP" [Post Office Protocol] -- when you empty the mailbox on the outside of your home, and bring the mail into your home, it no longer exists inside the exterior mailbox.  

The other configuration-option is "IMAP" -- when you open the mailbox on the outside of your home, and "peek" at the messages, then you can move a piece of mail directly into your Blue Box Recycle Bin. Anything you leave inside the mailbox stays there. Later, you (or your home-mate) can "peek" again, to see the pieces that you left there.

If you are using Shaw WebMail, it is using IMAP.  On the left edge of its window, move the mouse-pointer over the "Trash" folder, and a pop-up will tell you how many messages you have deleted, and how much of your quota of disk-space those messages are using. If you open that folder, and "permanently-delete" all the items, you will have more space available within your quota (1 Gigabyte).

0 Kudos

Is there any way to change the configuration from IMAP to...

jimjaarsma
Grasshopper

Is there any way to change the configuration from IMAP to POP? I'm sure that in the past my mail was deleted from Webmail after opened it on my home computer which was a lot more convenient. Thanks, Jim

0 Kudos

Switch your email to POP. https://support.shaw.ca/t5/inte...

rstra
Grand Master
0 Kudos

I would like to change our email from @shaw.ca to @gmail....

Ernie27
Grasshopper

I would like to change our email from @shaw.ca to @gmail.com

0 Kudos

Can this be done

Ernie27
Grasshopper

Can this be done

0 Kudos

Change email from lyubo omasheva@shaw.ca to lyubovomashev...

Ernie27
Grasshopper

Change email from lyubo omasheva@shaw.ca to lyubovomasheva@gmail.ca

0 Kudos

You wouldn’t be changing your Shaw email to Gmail, you wo...

rstra
Grand Master

@Ernie27  You wouldn’t be changing your Shaw email to Gmail, you would just be creating a new gmail account.

0 Kudos

-- I'm sure that in the past, my mail was deleted from We...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@jimjaarsma -- I'm sure that in the past, my mail was deleted from Webmail after opened it on my home computer, which was a lot more convenient. 

Your home-computer was using POP -- it pulled the E-mail from Shaw's mail-server, saved it on your computer, and deleted it from Shaw's mail-server.  Use Shaw WebMail, using IMAP, to  conveniently "preview" any "new" messages, when you are away from your home computer.

0 Kudos

-- as an interim measure, you can use the My Shaw Portal...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Ernie27 -- as an interim measure, you can use the My Shaw Portal to automatically "forward" all incoming E-mail messages addressed to your Shaw ID to a GMail ID of your choosing.

0 Kudos