Emails sent to shaw addresses failing with 421 4.1.0 'server temporarily unavailable' errors

kaptaink
Grasshopper

Hi there,

Our sports organization is having an issue with just our parents that have shaw email accounts where sometimes our email messages are bouncing with the following error (I've omitted the part that references the specific mailbox for privacy reasons:

shw-central.mx.a.cloudfilter.net[3.96.81.40]
said: 421 4.1.0 <youthrugby@jbaa.ca> server temporarily unavailable
AUP#MXRT (in reply to MAIL FROM command)

<eventservice@shaw.ca>: host
shw-central.mx.a.cloudfilter.net[3.96.81.40] said:
421 4.1.0 <youthrugby@jbaa.ca> server temporarily unavailable
AUP#MXRT (in
reply to MAIL FROM command)

Can you shed light on what the issue might be? It is intermittent, which is extra puzzling. We want to make sure these parents are getting our messages.

Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
5 Replies

-- please read the posting by   at: https://support.shaw....

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@kaptaink -- please read the posting by @khensu 

at: https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-discussions/shaw-server-blocking-emails-from-domain-it-used-to-w...

for a good explanation of "MXRT".

Sorry to hear about your troubles but I am glad it isn't...

khensu
Grasshopper

Sorry to hear about your troubles but I am glad it isn't just me. I see that you use Mailchannels incoming spam filter. Do you know if you use their outgoing filter as well?

Thanks for chiming in ! To answer your question: I don't...

kaptaink
Grasshopper

Thanks for chiming in @khensu!

To answer your question: I don't know. I'm the tech admin for the sports organization but I wasn't the one sending the emails that are bouncing. I will ask, but just to clarify, would this outgoing spam filter be from the email client or via our email host provider? The organization uses Dreamhost.

We have had huge growth with our youth sports program and this is resulting in the need to send emails to hundreds of parents. The club uses Mailchimp for club email communication in an attempt to stay on the good side of spam policy but for team-based communication from the coaches it's too much overhead. Thus the current situation where our youth coordinator is trying to send emails via a club email account to many, many people at one time (and with at least weekly frequency).

I've read the thread that @mdk posted and it sounds like I need to contact Shaw to see if we can do something with emails coming from our club's domain. To confirm, @khensu is that what you ended up doing and did that work out in your case?

Thanks so much for both of you chiming in.

0 Kudos

--  Thus the current situation where our youth coordinato...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@kaptaink --  Thus the current situation where our youth coordinator is trying to send emails via a club email account to many, many people at one time ...

If that E-mail ID is an "@shaw.ca" ID, then it is Shaw's mail-server that is limiting the number of recipients for messages.

> it sounds like I need to contact Shaw to see if we can do something with emails coming from our club's domain.

It probably is NOT E-mail from your "@jbaa.ca" domain (web-site hosted by DreamHost) that is being limited.

Ask Shaw if they can increase their limit for that one "club" ID.

Ah Dreamhost. Ok I know they use Mailchannels like we do....

khensu
Grasshopper

Ah Dreamhost. Ok I know they use Mailchannels like we do. It isn't a Mailchannels issue but since a high volume of email goes through them it's quicker to encounter the issue. 

I have opened a case with Shaw. No response yet. 

TALK TO US
We're here to help