Ethernet switch compatibility

Kreedlore
Grasshopper

What Ethernet Switch is going to be compatible with the new XB7

Is there a preferred model and brand?

I need to have more than the 4 ports on the XB7 I need to have at least 8 ethernet ports to plug into.

will adding a switch stop the wifi for the modem like it did to the XB6?

I do understand I will need an unmanaged switch , I just want to clarify which one will work the best with the XB7.

Thank you in advanced

Kreed

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Any switch souls work. I have one attached to my xb6 and...

rstra
Grand Master

Any switch souls work. I have one attached to my xb6 and it didn’t affect wifi, not sure why it would. 

0 Kudos

-- do not "bridge" your XB7.  You need to stay in "router...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Kreedlore -- do not "bridge" your XB7.  You need to stay in "router" mode, so that it can provide 8 unique IP-addresses to your devices, all starting with "10.0.0". 

Be sure to get a switch that has 10/100/1000 ports, not an older "pre-owned" one that only has 10/100 ports.

Note that the XB7 has one Ethernet port that exceeds 1000 Mbits/second, but it would require:

1. that you are subscribed to "Shaw Fibre+ Gig 1.5", to get 1500 Mbps coming-in to your cable-modem,

2. a high-end switch that has one faster-than-1000 port, to send/receive from that "fastest" port on the XB7.

3. a "CAT 6" or "CAT 8" cable that can carry faster-than-1000 speeds -- a "CAT 5e" cable maxes-out at 1000 Mbps.

Like @rstra indicated, a "non-bridged" cable-modem does NOT disable its internal WiFi adapter.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help