Fibre 300 internet is slow

PChwts
Grasshopper

I subscribed for Fibre 300 about a month ago and I was getting 150 Mbps initially for 2 weeks,  then after it's 20, 30 & 40Mbps the most. I was on Shaw chat the last week or so, spending hours with changing agents. Yesterday (mdk) replied me to call in again to Shaw support and do a speed test with my modem. This is my 3rd modem in a month, and went through so many agents but unable to solve the problem, he even mentioned that the technician coming this Sunday might not help much. I believe Shaw has all the records of my chat. Would another chat call help? I am frustrated because my Shaw wireless TV box kept pausing on my hockey program. 

For the start a month ago, I have no issues with many devices getting optimum speed of 150Mbps but why slow down now the last 2 weeks. I just return home from Europe with my Home Vodafone 600Mbps and all devices got 380 Mbps max. This are the same devices, iphone 8, 11, macbook, What I didn't understand with the same devices now I got 35 Mbps. Even with direct connection Ethernet, it's still 35 Mbps. What can Shaw support do in this case, I'll wait for your technician come and trouble shoot, probably the coaxial cable is too old. 

I'd like to post all the speedtest.shaw.ca and fast.com but don't see how to post this.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

that is certainly odd. Checking the signal to your modem...

shaw-tony

@PChwts that is certainly odd. Checking the signal to your modem it looks good with no errors to report. Do you have any 3rd party routers/switches attached to the modem? Are you running any special settings or VPNs? 

0 Kudos

I checked now is good, 150Mbps. It’s Friday afternoon, wo...

PChwts
Grasshopper

I checked now is good, 150Mbps. It’s Friday afternoon, working from home and school is over. That speed normally is good for couple of hours, then it drops to ridiculously low of 20 Mbps. I couldn’t even watch playoff hockey last time, pausing or no sound mist of the time. I paid extra for additional wireless TV box and mist time unable to watch any TV because of the slow WiFi. I am talking even direct Ethernet connection. Paying so much & not getting what I paid. Check the event log yesterday or the week, you can see how frequent the internet drops with missing option 24 & 82. Anyway the technician Is coming Sunday, hopefully will resolved once & for all. 

I recently upgraded to Shaw 300.  I did so, staying with...

Zopkios
Grasshopper

I recently upgraded to Shaw 300.  I did so, staying with their supplied Cisco DPC3848 gateway.  But as I've been always doing, I have the gateway bridged so as to be able to use my own router, that being an AirPort Extreme 5th Generation.  With the new faster service, I was expecting to get at least 200Mbps since my router was 802.11n as is my older MacBook Air.  But best speed I was getting was about 140.  So I had Shaw remove bridge mode, activating the router within the gateway.  I can't now recall the best speed I then got but it was close to 200Mbps, maybe even more.  I would have remained with that but it was too convoluted a process to configure my IP security camera, an Axis M1004W.  Axis configuration software is Microsoft Windows so no use to me since I'm MacOS.  So I went back to my AirPort Extreme setup and upgraded the patch cables from CAT5e to CAT6.  Not much difference, if any.  I then looked to buy an AirPort Extreme 6th Generation 802.11AC, that being the last one Apple made before exiting the router business about 2 years ago.  Going price on the "buy and sells" is $60 to $80.  Well, let me tell you what a difference!  I now am getting download speeds over 300Mbps.  I am sure that Windows platform users could enjoy the same success simply by bridging the gateway and going with an 802.11ac router.  BTW, an Apple Airport Extreme isn't just for Apple products.  

Same thing here also.  Fibre 300 is so slow.  It always s...

Adonalen1209
Grasshopper

Same thing here also.  Fibre 300 is so slow.  It always says poor connection and always have call dropped..  I want my old subscription on internet.  Fibre 300 is so frustrating, 

0 Kudos

After the technician came to service, my 3 wireless TV bo...

PChwts
Grasshopper

After the technician came to service, my 3 wireless TV box are fine now, no more lagging but internet 5G is average 60Mbps at least not like 25Mbps rarely you see 150Mbps

0 Kudos

-- with "Wireless N", one web-page states: 802.11n - 600...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Zopkios -- with "Wireless N", one web-page states:

802.11n - 600 Mbps (2.4GHz and 5 GHz) - 150Mbps typical for network adapters, 300Mbps, 450Mbps, and 600Mbps speeds when bonding channels with some routers.

So, "getting at least 200 mbps" from your Airport Extreme 5th Generation might be expecting too much. Of course, if your MacBook Air does not support "bonding", it would send/receive at a maximum of 150 Mbps.

0 Kudos

-- Same thing here also.  Fibre 300 is so slow.  It alway...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Adonalen1209 -- Same thing here also.  Fibre 300 is so slow.  It always says poor connection and always have call dropped..  I want my old subscription on internet.  Fibre 300 is so frustrating, 

Recently, Shaw Marketing "rebranded" their Internet services, e.g., "Internet 300" was renamed to be "Fibre+ 100". None of Shaw's hardware changed, unless you changed cable-modems recently.  So, "changing your subscription" will not help.

I recommend that you contact Shaw Support (currently, online chat has priority over telephone) and get the Shaw agent to remote logon to your cable-modem, to view the "signal-strength" and some other values. They can do other trouble-shooting, before needing to dispatch a technician to the Shaw "demarcation box" on the outside of your home, to do more testing.

When you write "call dropped", is this Skype running on your desktop or your mobile device, or are you using the new Shaw Mobile cellular telephone service?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help