Flash Player Un-Supported Dec 2020

gordn
Grasshopper

Will the changes to flash player affect the shaw webmail?

Labels (1)
12 Replies

If you are running Windows 7 (which itself will be unsupp...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

If you are running Windows 7 (which itself will be unsupported after January 2020), you can experiment: uninstall Flash Player, reboot, and launch Shaw WebMail.  If it works, you have your answer.

Or, from a July 2017 posting: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/07/with-html5-webgl-javascript-ascendant-adobe-t...

Microsoft will continue to update Flash Player in Windows 8 and Windows 10 until the end of 2020.

After that, a few possibilities:

* Microsoft will "booby-trap" Flash, so that it will not run;

* Microsoft will uninstall Flash;

* Microsoft will allow Flash, if already installed, to continue to run.

I presume that Shaw is aware of this end-of-support, and has been updating their web-sites to eliminate any uses of Flash Player. Given the imminent "sunset" of Windows 7, all supported web-browsers will have support for HTML5, and web-sites can be recoded to replace usage of Flash by newer technologies.

0 Kudos

I am not, all on Win 10

gordn
Grasshopper

I am not, all on Win 10

0 Kudos

>>> All on Win 10 Microsoft will continue to update Flash...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

>>> All on Win 10

Microsoft will continue to update Flash Player in Windows 8 and Windows 10 until the end of 2020.

0 Kudos

> FLASH Bump. Flash's sunset date (and Christmas) are app...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> FLASH

Bump. Flash's sunset date (and Christmas) are approaching. 🙂

Why has Shaw not eliminated Flash on its platform? My fri...

ianinafrica
Grasshopper

Why has Shaw not eliminated Flash on its platform? My friends who are on Telus do not have to deal with manually enabling Flash, Telus has either eliminated it or has patched the security vulnerability and returned it to auto-enable.

0 Kudos

Hi  the problem is not with Shaw but actually Xfinity/Com...

g-idk
Master

Hi @ianinafrica the problem is not with Shaw but actually Xfinity/Comcast in the States.  All equipment and Core Software has been licensed to Shaw to use their platform.  Xfininty/Comcast in the States has still not done the switchover to say HTML5 or another alternative, So we have to wait to see what happens.  There are lots of people complaining on the Xfinity/Comcast forums as well, so hopefully this happens before the end of the year.  

-- Why has Shaw not eliminated Flash on its platform?  Th...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ianinafrica -- Why has Shaw not eliminated Flash on its platform? 

This is a peer-to-peer discussion forum, not an official path to contact Shaw Support.

So, while you may find speculation on this forum, you won't find an authoritative response, especially to a "why" question.

Note that any Shaw employee who wishes to continue to be employed will not reveal any "company confidential" information on this forum, or anywhere else.

Certainly, Shaw is aware of the deadline. I expect that they will make an official announcement, before the "sunset" date for Adobe Flash.

What services are you using that currently require Adobe Flash?

Flash is no longer being updated by Adobe. (as of Jan 202...

lamont_hurd
Grasshopper

Flash is no longer being updated by Adobe. (as of Jan 2021) Shaw NEEDS to fix this! 

0 Kudos

-- Shaw NEEDS to fix this!  Can you please elaborate?  Wh...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@lamont_hurd -- Shaw NEEDS to fix this! 

Can you please elaborate?  What Shaw service do you use that you think still is reliant on Flash?

Are you using an iPad, iPhone, Apple notebook, or Windows 8 (or 10) desktop?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help