Jump to solution

--  the max speed I can get is 400mbps  What is the speed...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@MapleSchnitzel --  the max speed I can get is 400mbps 

What is the speed of each processor inside your CPU? (A "quad-core" CPU will have 4 processors, or maybe 8.)

I've seen quad-core systems, with under 2 Ghz per processor *NOT* run the Shaw Speedtest at its full speed; obviously, lower speeds will be reported.

When running the Shaw SpeedTest, are you watching on the "Performance" tab of the Windows "Task Manager", to see what the instantaneous speeds that Windows is reporting? The SpeedTest shows an "averaged" value, recalculating at 1-second intervals.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

was this speed test over WiFi or direct ethernet connecti...

shaw-tony

@MapleSchnitzel was this speed test over WiFi or direct ethernet connections?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I have tried it with 3 different laptops, 1 desktop. I ha...

MapleSchnitzel
Grasshopper

I have tried it with 3 different laptops, 1 desktop. I have tried wired to the modem wireless to the shaw modem, wireless to my router wired to my router.  I have tried moving the modem to the main cable connection so nothing else was connected eg my home phone or my T.V box. I also tried two computers hooked up to the shaw modem and running the speed test at the dame time and the 400 mbps get split between the two computer 200ish on each.  I tried bridging the shaw modem, I also called and they tried bridging it and adding a I.P address for my router. Nothing worked never got over 425mbps. So between this and calling support and chatting and this message board I have spent over 4 hours of my life. So last time a called shaw, I down graded my internet to 300 mbps and as soon as a tech can come to my house and check it out I will up grade back to Fiber+

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- dame time Previously on this thread, I listed a 14-poi...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@MapleSchnitzel -- dame time

Previously on this thread, I listed a 14-point check-list.

Also, contact Shaw (online-chat has priority over telephone) and get them to remotely logon to your cable-modem, to check "signal-strength". Also, get them to redo the "provisioning" of your modem, in case it is currently configured to a maximum of 400 Mbps.

Note that "1300" is the maximum speed of a WiFi connection between your computer and your cable-modem.  It is not the speed at which the cable-modem is configured to receive from the Internet.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

When I tried WiFi its an WiFI 6 at 160 mhz which speed is...

MapleSchnitzel
Grasshopper

When I tried WiFi its an WiFI 6 at 160 mhz which speed is way over 1Gbps.  Thats why I tried 2 laptops one computer in port 1 and one computer in port two of the Shaw router\modem. Both with CAT8 cables both 2 feet long  ran the speed test at the same time if connection was supporting 1 gbps. Then they both should have bin around 500mbps I would have accepted 400 mbps. But if I ran one of them I got 400mbps and if I ran them at the same time they both ran at 200mbps, if I staggered them I could see it pull the one computer down to 200mbps, so that means its not the computers its the connection. So to honest i have bin on the phone with Shaw 2 separate times and chatted 2 separate times and spent over 4-5 hours of my time on this issue I'm not wasting anymore time. (Which you can probably look it up if you want)  . Once a tech is allowed to come to my house they can deal with it.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I spent some time getting up to speed (pardon the pun)

rickatk
Master

I spent some time getting up to speed (pardon the pun) with my new Fibre Gig+ service. Over the years with numerous speed increases I was always happy with Shaw’s internet performance. No issues. What was promised was delivered. Fibre+ Gigabit was different however. In fact some speed test results showed slower results than my previous 600Mbps service, which handily delivered 630Mbps over wifi using the XB6 Technicolour gateway. After much interaction with the Shaw techs I was satisfied my system and connection was fine and that everything was working well. I could see approx 800Mbps over wifi after a little tweaking and allowing the systems to “get its legs” on my fastest computer. An i7 iMac. More importantly my devices seem to work very well and felt in some cases faster and smoother. My wifi music players seemed stable, same for the wifi tv players. Web pages are very snappy on my devices. I was  advised by Shaw techs this was indeed the objective of the Fibre+ Gig service. A stable network because of more bandwith being made available to many in home devices.

I will be curious to see what the next generation Gateway brings. I understand it will handle over 2 gigabits throughput which may translate into higher wifi speeds.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

> may translate into higher wifi speeds. Will the "AC" wi...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master
> may translate into higher wifi speeds. Will the "AC" wireless protocol exceed 1300 Mbps, or is there a newer protocol that is faster -- fast-enough to handle 2 Gbps ?
0 Kudos
Jump to solution

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/broadband-gatewa...

rickatk
Master

@mdk wrote:
> may translate into higher wifi speeds. Will the "AC" wireless protocol exceed 1300 Mbps, or is there a newer protocol that is faster -- fast-enough to handle 2 Gbps ?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/broadband-gateways-userguides

Looks like this new Comcast gateway supports 2.5 Gbps and uses the AX protocol. I think the pods may be upgraded as well. Just gets better and better. 

Note: Shaw hasn’t made any formal announcement but they have been following Comcast  pretty closely with all the rollouts.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- When I tried WiFi its an WiFI 6 at 160 mhz which speed...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@MapleSchnitzel -- When I tried WiFi its an WiFI 6 at 160 mhz which speed is way over 1Gbps.

If your computer's WiFi adapter is "WiFi 6", if you connect to a "WiFi 5" router, you won't get "WiFi 6" speed.

So, does your Shaw cable-modem/router support G/N/AC (WiFi 3/4/5), or does it support AX (WiFi 6) ?

After you downgraded to 300 Mbps, are you actually getting that speed (where previously you got 400 Mbps before you downgraded) ?

Note: currently, Shaw technician are allowed to "come to my house", but not to physically enter. They can use their mobile-phone to talk to you, to guide you through some trouble-shooting steps.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Looks like this new Comcast gateway ... uses the AX pr...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rickatk -- Looks like this new Comcast gateway ... uses the AX protocol.

I didn't see that details on that web-page.

I did see:

• Model Numbers: CGM4331COM
  • Friendly Model Name: XB7
  • Gigabit Ethernet Ports: 4
  • Maximum Data Throughput: 2.5 Gbs.

It is good to have 4 Ethernet ports.

It is bad that each port is limited to 1 Gigabit (if you ever get a multi-Gigabit network adapter in your computer).

It is good to allow "two-point-five" 🙂 computers simultaneously receiving 1 Gbps streams.

Now, all I need is to find web-servers that can "push" data at 1 Gbps; currently, they are very rare!

TALK TO US
We're here to help