Google wifi network slow

pmack
Grasshopper

Hello,

I have a shaw modem and google wifi network.  The speed tests indicates that the data speeds are three times faster on the shaw wifi network compared to the google wifi network.  Are you able to help me figure this out?

Thanks

Labels (1)
3 Replies

-- are you able to help me to figure this out? Yes, I am...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@pmack -- are you able to help me to figure this out?

Yes, I am able to try, although your comments are qualitative, rather than quantitative, in nature.

What level of service are you paying Shaw to receive? "Internet 75" ? "Internet 300" ? "Internet 600" ?

Use a CAT-5e or CAT-6 cable to connect your computer to your Shaw modem -- avoid using any "CAT-5" cable, which is only certified to 100 megabits/second.

Then, run the Shaw SpeedTest. What numbers do you get for download speed? for upload?

If your computer has WiFi, disconnect the Ethernet cable, and rerun the SpeedTest over your WiFi network. Numbers?

Use only a CAT-5e or CAT-6 cable to connect the Google WiFi adapter directly to your cable-modem.

If the Google WiFi adapter has an Ethernet socket other than the socket that is being used to connect to your Shaw modem, use a CAT-5e or CAT-6 cable to connect your computer to that socket on your Google WiFi adapter. Rerun the SpeedTest. Numbers? 

Or, if the Googlel WiFi adapter has only the one Ethernet socket, use WiFi to connect your computer to your Google WiFi adapter. Rerun the SpeedTest. Numbers? 

Tell us the results.

0 Kudos

Thanks for your help: I have Internet 600.  Using a bluec...

pmack
Grasshopper

Thanks for your help:

I have Internet 600.  Using a bluecurve modem.  I have 5e cables, throughout and have replaced them.  If I plug it into an old windows computer (with no wifi capability it reads speed of 647.2 / 21.7/ 8ms.  Without changing anything, I tried it on wifi on a new iMac from the next room over: much slower: 130.1 / 17.6 / 11 ms.  iMac was in adjoining room (maybe 4m away) around a corner but almost direct line but I brought it in same room as modem and retested: 383.5 / 20.2 / 11 ms.  Which is wierd because modem is centrally located in home and only one room away from where iMac was.  Then I plugged the ethernet cable into the iMac and it runs at 644.3 / 21.1/ 5ms.  So then I moved the iMac to another room 5m away but directly in view of the modem: 395 / 21.0.  Then I closed a wooden door between the two devices and it dropped to 195 / 20.

So far I have concluded that ethernet works ok, but wifi is slower even directly beside the modem. It then drops throughout the house.  We live in an old fashioned but small house, with lots of small rooms.  We have 6 people living in it so need good wifi throughout.

For google wifi: first I ethernet connected the computer to the primary wifi point (the one connected to the shaw modem).  It read 600, so full.

For wifi part, I did an iPhone comparison using as follows: only reporting download speeds as no differences between upload speeds:

Same room as modem:  Bluecurve -   269.9     Google wifi 248.7

Next room over:  Bluecurve - 137.9    Google wifi 35.9

Basement (beside Google wifi pod)  Bluecurve 180.3   Google wifi 59.6

For the google wifi I am going to try reinstalling the network and moving the pucks closer to the primary point.  

For the bluecurve modem, I would still be interested in why the drop in wifi compared to ethernet or is that expected?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos

The Windows computer must have a 10/100/1000 Ethernet ada...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

The Windows computer must have a 10/100/1000 Ethernet adapter.

With an Ethernet cable into the iMac, it runs at 644.3 / 21.1/ 5ms, as expected.

The iMac must have a wireless Ethernet adapter that is limiting it to 383.5 -- fast-enough for "Internet 300", but not quite good-enough for "Internet 600".

(I wonder how many web-sites can "push" data towards your BlueCurve at 600 mbps. Only a few, I suspect.)

The speed on your iPhone was less than 300 mbps.

On Windows, note that the Shaw SpeedTest requires a computer with at least a 2 Ghz dual-core processor, to run the test at full speed, on an "Internet 300" connection.  The processors in your iMac and your iPhone (which version?) may not be that fast, and thus you do not get the "full-speed" numbers.

You might consider a pair of Ethernet-over-power adapters. Plug one adapter into an AC wall-socket near the BlueCurve, and connect an Ethernet cable into it, and the other end into one of the Ethernet ports on the BlueCurve. Plug the second adapter into an AC wall-socket, near the far end of the house, plug an Ethernet cable into it, and plug the other end of the Ethernet cable into the "uplink" port on your WiFi router. Computers at the far end of the house can connect to that router's WiFi, while computers near the BlueCurve can connect to the BlueCurve's WiFi.

Or, Shaw does rent WiFi extenders, to make a "mesh" of wireless access-points inside your home, e.g., place the BlueCurve at the 1/3 point in the width of your home, and an extender at the 2/3 point. The BlueCurve should cover 1/2 of your home, and the pod should cover the other 1/2.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help