Jump to solution

Hardwired pods come off and online repeatedly

Edgar1347
Grasshopper

Hi,

I hope someone can help with this issue.  I have tried chat and we've been unable to solve this.

I have Bluecurve Gateway XB6 that I must place at a corner of the house because of current wiring in the house.  I connect a Netgear 16-port Gigabit Ethernet switch (GS316) to the gateway to supply signal to all wall ports in the house.

Because of this setup, the pod closest to the gateway receives weak signal so the entire wifi mesh is weak.  For this reason following recommendation in Plume's support page, I hardwired two of the pods as follows:
Pod 1 -basement - hardwired
Pod 2 - mainfloor - wifi
Pod 3 - upstairs - hardwired.
Pods 1 and 2 that are hardwired come offline for 15 to 30 seconds and connect back online every 1-2 minutes. Pod 2 never goes offline.

Network setup.jpg

I've tried, disconnecting and reconnecting the gateway, pods, etc ... nothing helps.

During chat session, the support engineer setup a second IP but that didn't help either.  

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Sorry, I have had a couple of beer so I will do my best �...

rstra
Grand Master

Sorry, I have had a couple of beer so I will do my best 😁

You can still keep the Ethernet jacks in the house connected via the switch. Is there a more central cable outlet where you could place the BlueCurve and then back feed the the internet connection back to the switch via Ethernet? If the BC is more central, then maybe the pods would work better.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Jump to solution

Are these Shaw pods or do you go through Plume? Shaw pods...

rstra
Grand Master

Are these Shaw pods or do you go through Plume? Shaw pods aren’t supposed to be hardwired. 

Jump to solution

Hi, They are Shaw pods that from the shaw chat conversati...

Edgar1347
Grasshopper

Hi,

They are Shaw pods that from the shaw chat conversation I had they are supplied by Plume. 

They come with ethernet port.

If hardwiring is not supported, how do I overcome the signal problem?  As mentioned, the closest I can place a pod inside the house that is closest to the gateway receives already weak wifi signal to be able to amplify to the other pods so the entire mesh is very weak.

thanks

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

The ethernet ports are for connecting devices wired to th...

rstra
Grand Master

The ethernet ports are for connecting devices wired to the network.

Jump to solution

is ok to say "I don't know".

Edgar1347
Grasshopper

😂   is ok to say "I don't know".

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

there is a different way to interpret your reply. You mea...

Edgar1347
Grasshopper

there is a different way to interpret your reply. You mean the ports available with the pods are to connect external devices into it?  I suppose a use case for that would be a desktop ... strange but I guess ... 

I scratch my head how to solve my problem where both requirements need to be met:

1. Ensure all pods receive strong wifi signal to create a strong enough wifi mesh in the house.

2. all wires that feed all wall ethernet drops  in the house are centrally located in a corner of the house, physically. How do I keep all wall ethernet plugs live and available?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Sorry, I have had a couple of beer so I will do my best �...

rstra
Grand Master

Sorry, I have had a couple of beer so I will do my best 😁

You can still keep the Ethernet jacks in the house connected via the switch. Is there a more central cable outlet where you could place the BlueCurve and then back feed the the internet connection back to the switch via Ethernet? If the BC is more central, then maybe the pods would work better.

Jump to solution

well, it was after I had couple beers I rethought and und...

Edgar1347
Grasshopper

well, it was after I had couple beers I rethought and understood your answer   🍺 🍺 😋

hmm ... let me see ... ok ... sounds right ...  please let me know if I got it right:

1. I have a cable drop in a corner on the main floor of the house, where I have my receiver and hometheater and one of the BC TV players.

2. one ethernet wall drop is also here in that same corner.

So what you say is, that ethernet plug on the wall can reverse and be the supply point back to the switch? so ...

1. bring the gateway here and plug the cable to the gateway for the signal

2. plug one of the ethernet plugs on the gateway to the wall plug

3. the cable end in the distribution box, in that far corner of the house, that corresponds to the wall plug connected to the gateway and that is currently already plugged to the Netgear switch, now just becomes the feed into the box.

4. all other wires plugged to the Netgear switch continue feeding the remaining wall drops in the house.

5. Pods should now have best signal.

Yes?  makes sense to me ... but can you confirm I got your suggestion right?

Thanks

Jump to solution

Yes, that sounds right.

rstra
Grand Master

Yes, that sounds right. 

Jump to solution

Yes! It worked beautifully!  My focus on the one solution...

Edgar1347
Grasshopper

Yes! It worked beautifully!  My focus on the one solution kept me from solving my real requirements.  🙈

Next round's on me!  🍻 😀

Thanks a lot!

TALK TO US
We're here to help