Has Shaw modified POP email download process in the past week or so?

Kritiker
Grasshopper

For the past week or so my email client had been unable to download my POP emails from the Shaw mail server.

Today, when I tried it again, it did.

Nothing has changed at my end since I last tried a few days ago, so what has changed at the Shaw end?

Thanks.

PS Chat was absolutely useless - would not connect with an agent and kept timing out. Email support is long gone too.

Labels (1)
13 Replies

I haven't heard of any changes to our email servers. Did...

shaw-tony

@Kritiker I haven't heard of any changes to our email servers. Did the emails in https://webmail.shaw.ca/ show up delayed as well?

Chat should be working as expected, please disable any browser extensions such as Adblock or test in a different browser to see if it works.

0 Kudos

Hi, No emails were delayed. Webmail (i.e.,  https://webma...

Kritiker
Grasshopper

Hi,

No emails were delayed. Webmail (i.e.,  https://webmail.shaw.ca/) worked just fine, all the emails were there.

My email client was able to send emails with no trouble. It just could not receive any.

I changed the incoming POP server from shawmail.wp.shawcable.net to pop.shaw.ca thinking that might help. It didn't. I left it all alone (using pop.shaw.ca) for 3 or 4 days and then suddenly I was able to download POP emails again. They all downloaded, no problem. And it's been working fine, at least so far.

So how can 3 or 4 days of my doing nothing at my end, suddenly fix this? I have to assume some obscure setting changed at Shaw and then changed back again.

And it cannot be a certificate issue. The problem occurred both with and without requiring SSL and went away again for both.

Any other ideas? It's puzzling.

Thanks.

PS

My client is using TLSv1 for both sending and receiving but I keep getting the message: 

Certificate bad: Destination Host name does not match host name in certificate
But ignoring this error because Certificate is trusted

This is for server:shawmail.wp.shawcable.net on sending and server:pop.shaw.ca on receiving.

PPS

Sending with SSL works fairly quickly. Receiving is very slow.

0 Kudos

that is indeed puzzling and certainly odd. As long as the...

shaw-tony

@Kritiker that is indeed puzzling and certainly odd. As long as the server settings are set the same as the ones here, email should work as expected. I wasn't able to find any tickets about email issues. As for client-related errors, they are unsupported.

0 Kudos

> I changed the incoming POP server from shawmail.wp.shaw...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I changed the incoming POP server from shawmail.wp.shawcable.net to pop.shaw.ca thinking that might help. It didn't.

$ nslookup shawmail.wp.shawcable.net

Name: shawmail.glb.shawcable.net

Alias: shawmail.wp.shawcable.net

$ nslookup pop.shaw.ca

Name: pop.glb.shawcable.net

Alias: pop.shaw.ca

For all these host-names, the same IP-addresses (64.59.128.135 and 64.59.136.142) were returned.

More aliases than a secret-agent with multiple passports. 🙂

0 Kudos

Well thanks all for the info.

Kritiker
Grasshopper

Well thanks all for the info.

0 Kudos

The date is 2022-01-31 and the problem still exist, clear...

hengelking
Grasshopper

The date is 2022-01-31 and the problem still exist, clearly SHAW does not know the problem exists or they do not know how to fix it.  Emails are available in SHAW WEBMAIL but will not down load to Outlook Desktop or other applications it sounds like. What can you say?  SHAW cannot even deliver email.

No problems with with my email.

rstra
Grand Master

@hengelking 

No problems with with my email.

0 Kudos

We are having the same problem. After 1 1/2 hours trying...

Ourhouse20
Grasshopper

We are having the same problem. After 1 1/2 hours trying to fix the problem and then I was disconnected…..no call back from Tarique.   I called them back and was told there was no info recorded. She actually told me he was probably at the end of his shift.  After another hour and half explaining everything again I was told to wait a day and see what happens.

0 Kudos

Sorry to but in but I am having the same problem. It all...

ajhilker
Grasshopper

Sorry to but in but I am having the same problem. It all started April 10. No email program other than Windows 10 Mail works. All is fine on Shaw Webmail but I can't get any emails on SeaMonkey plus 3 others. No one at tech knows what to heck I am talking about. One program gave me an error as "Connection Closed Gracefully". That means Shaw Mail Server blocked email downloads. No reason given and no one at Shaw seems to know or worse care. Obviously there is a reason.  Is there a corrupt email or possibly the account has been flagged. Something needs to be done at Shaw.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help