Have an Intenet 300 but am lucky to get 15-17MBPS.

ChrisDL
Grasshopper

Hi.  Bought this Internet 300 from Shaw but of late I noticed that i am lucky to get 11-13MBPS Download and 11MBPS upload.  I connected my laptop directly to the modem with the same results.  I restarted the modem and still am only getting same results.  Need assistance please.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

-- did you mean "MB" -- megabytes, or "Mb" -- megabits? I...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ChrisDL -- did you mean "MB" -- megabytes, or "Mb" -- megabits?

Internet 300 should give you about 15 Mbit/second upload speed.  So, your result is below that speed.

Getting identical results with both "wired" and "WiFi" is unusual. It's as if your laptop used WiFi both times, as it would if the Ethernet cable was not allowing any data-transfer, i.e., "broken" or "not connected". Open the Windows 10 "Task Manager", and switch to the "Performance" tab. It should show separate graphs for Ethernet and for WiFi. Start the Shaw SpeedTest, and switch back to this window, and watch the two graphs, to see which adapter is being tested.

Did Shaw lease you (at a net of $0/month) a new cable-modem, such as the "Hitron", that is capable of "Internet 300"? Older cable-modems maxed-out at 25 Mbit/second.

Older laptops had WiFi adapters that were only capable of a maximum of 11 Mbit/second. Open the Windows "Device Manager", and check the adapter's properties.  Or, within Windows 10 "Task Manager", click the icon for the WiFi adapter, to see its properties.

Disconnect the AC power from the Shaw modem, wait a minute, reconnect the AC power, and let it restart, and rerun the Shaw SpeedTest.

Be sure to use a "CAT-5e" (or "CAT-6") Ethernet cable, because a "CAT-5" cable is only certified to 100 Mbits/second -- inadequate for "Internet 300" service.

Contact Shaw, to confirm that they have configured your modem for "Internet 300".

TALK TO US
We're here to help