Help with Creating an Access Point

Donorob
Grasshopper

Got my Shaw Modem in the mail (1 gigabyte  if it matters for model). Installed working no issues.(installed in basement - furnace room)

Installed 3, Cat6A runs in my basement they go to a switch and the switch is plugged directly into 1 of 2 ports on the Shaw modem.

I have another run that goes to the main level of my house, I want to make my personal router (Nighthawk R7000 - AC1900) an access point. This is plugged into the other port of the Shaw modem.

(only two ports for internet, not sure why so few. There are also two ports for phone)

I don’t want to bridge the connection because I want the benefit of the wi fi from the Shaw modem in the basement and from my personal modem upstairs (and to use the other ports as a switch)

Configuring the Nighthawk modem to an Access Point is easy enough, disable DCHP and retrieve IP from host (Shaw)  modem.

I understand I should use a lan port on the Nighthawk modem and not the wan.

They are both have the same SSID and Password. (Tried a different SSID, still didn’t work)

Only option on the Shaw modem is to bridge connection.

I can’t get it working 

looking for any assistance.

Labels (1)
18 Replies

-- Configuring the Nighthawk modem to an Access Point is...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Donorob -- Configuring the Nighthawk modem to an Access Point is easy enough, disable DCHP and retrieve IP from host (Shaw)  modem.

I would not do that.

The Shaw BlueCurve cable-modem provides "private" IP-addresses, e.g., "10.0.0.xxx" to the two Ethernet ports, and to any WiFi devices that connect to its SSID. Do you have any problems when the Nighthawk router is powered-off? Can you connect to the BlueCurve's WiFi, and get Internet access? If you connect a computer to one of the Ethernet ports, does it get Internet access?

> I understand I should use a LAN port on the Nighthawk modem and not the WAN.

I disagree. If you connect the WAN port on the Nighthawk router to the Ethernet cable running from the Shaw cable-modem, it should also obtain a private IP-address (e.g., "10.0.0.xxx"), if the DHCP-client inside the Nighthawk still is enabled. When your devices connect to the Nighthawk (wired/wireless), the DHCP-server inside the Nighthawk, if it still is enabled, will provide private IP-addresses, e.g., "192.168.xxx.yyy").

Because you use the same SSID for both WiFi-capable devices, any wireless device will connect to the "better" signal. Check the IP-address that has been assigned to your device: "10.0.0.xxx" is a connection to the BlueCurve, while "192.168.xx.yy" is a connection to the Nighthawk.

Any computer wired to the switch in your basement that requests an IP-address will receive a response from the BlueCurve (tunneling through the switch) from the BlueCurve.  Verify that each computer gets a "10.0.0.xxx" IP-address.

Given the above, tell us what works for you, and what does not work.

I just set up something very similar with my new XB6 Blue...

Gtown122
Grasshopper

I just set up something very similar with my new XB6 Blue Curve. I have just upgraded from an absolutely horrible Hitron that was causing me unbelievable frustration and problems with both wifi and ethernet connections. I had purchased a TP-Link AC1900 router to bridge the Hitron, but set it up as a Wireless Access Point first to see how it would function, so spent a lot of time configuring the TP Link only to find out it was the Hitron causing all the issues. The following set up is working excellent so far with the new Blue Curve

• I have the TP Link wired to the Blue Curve through my ethernet jack in the basement. It is connected to the WAN port as instructed by TP Link.
  • I have made sure the TP Link is in Wireless Access Point mode and not in normal router mode
  • I gave the TP Link a static IP address, (should be set in the LAN section of your Nighthawk set up) in this case it was 10.0.0.2, so not to confuse it with the Blue Curve 10.0.0.1 address
  • The subnet mask stays the same (should be 255.255.255.0) but I used 10.0.0.1 as the default gateway
  • I turned off the DHCP server on the TP Link
  • I am using separate SSID's for the Blue Curve and TP Link so I can tell which one I am on

So far everything is working great. I have an Apple TV connected by ethernet to the TP Link in the basement and can use the TP Link wifi in a deadspot that the Blue Curve can't reach. The above set up was suggested by TP Link tech's to set up the WAP when I was attempting to configure on the Hitron, and so far so good.

Hope this helps

-- an absolutely horrible Hitron that was causing me unbe...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Gtown122 -- an absolutely horrible Hitron that was causing me unbelievable frustration and problems with both wifi and ethernet connections.

On the other hand, my HITRON has been perfectly fine. Did Shaw ever offer to replace your "dud" ?

> So far, everything is working great.

That is good to hear.

0 Kudos

Update: I called Shaw and they said the modem only comes...

Donorob
Grasshopper

Update: I called Shaw and they said the modem only comes with 1 IP assigned to it.

they added another (for free) and I set Shaw modem to bridge to the nighthawk. 

wifi works, I can get an ip on the back of the nighthawk, but still not the other port.

Anything plug in this other port: I can search for things on google, results come up, but can’t go to any sites.  I’m thinking DNS server issues? I tried shaws DNS servers, didn’t work.

I went has far has plugging my laptop in the other port of the Shaw modem same issue.

to rule out my switch / cable run.

I am going to play around with it again tonight, tech can’t come until next week.

I can go to the Shaw routers page through problematic port as well.

No change when I change the up to a 10.0.0.xx

0 Kudos

Update: I called Shaw and they said the modem only comes...

Donorob
Grasshopper

Update: I called Shaw and they said the modem only comes with 1 IP assigned to it.

they added another (for free) and I set Shaw modem to bridge to the nighthawk. 

(my wife didn’t want different ssid’s, i got veto’d)

wifi works, I can get an ip on the back of the nighthawk, but still not the other port.

Anything plug in this other port: I can search for things on google, results come up, but can’t go to any sites.  I’m thinking DNS server issues? I tried shaws DNS servers, didn’t work.

I went has far has plugging my laptop in the other port of the Shaw modem same issue.

to rule out my switch / cable run.

I am going to play around with it again tonight, tech can’t come until next week.

I can go to the Shaw routers page through problematic port as well.

No change when I change the up to a 10.0.0.xx

I was lucky with the nighthawk it was easy to fix in the end.(when they gave me another option) But still have the issue with the other port.

0 Kudos

I was getting an 50 IPv4 and sometimes an IPv6 address,...

Donorob
Grasshopper

I was getting a 50.xx.xx.xx IPv4

Some times an APIPA

and sometimes an IPv6 address, same issue can search for this one google, I get a response but can’t go to the actual site.

still moving in our house, I’ll have a few hours tonight to try some more Options. 

0 Kudos

I see that you are bridging the XB6 and if I understand y...

Gtown122
Grasshopper

I see that you are bridging the XB6 and if I understand you correctly, you are having some port issues with the second XB6 port after bridging. I currently am not bridged and use both ports on the XB6, one to the TP Link WAP and one to a local computer. I will be getting a ethernet hub next week to expand the ports so I can finish wiring all my ethernet devices. I am not sure you need to bridge as I am not using that function. The nice thing about the XB6 is you have control over bridging. 

Does the Nighthawk have a dedicated Wireless Access Point Mode? The TP link allows you to set it up as either a WAP or normal router during setup. Setting it up as a WAP, creating a static IP and turning off the DHCP and not having to bridge seems to working fine for me so far.

0 Kudos

Yes it does have a Access Point Mode, I was worried about...

Donorob
Grasshopper

Yes it does have a Access Point Mode, I was worried about having interference  if they were both running the same SSID.

my wife gets frustrated with any technology and for sanity sake there can only be one SSID.

the nighthawk  has a smart connect which does the handoff between 2.4 and 5 very while broadcasting the SSID.

I think my first issue was only having 1 IP address. 

I called Shaw they fixed that, after that I bridge the modems, wifi was working great.

I can plug whatever I want into the nighthawk ports as well and it works.

that other port on the Shaw modem doesn’t, on the Shaw end they said it’s working fine. On mine end I can browse and get results from google, but when I click the link to go to the site it can’t connect, I can also get to the modem.

to drop shoot my switch on the second port I plugged my laptop directly into the modem, same issue.

I was wondering about the bridging of the modems, I asked Shaw and they said it has zero effect on the ports usage ( as long as I have an IP address for each, which I do now)

I understand why I can reach the modem, but why the google stuff?

0 Kudos

With respect to the Hitron, it was the usual "everything...

Gtown122
Grasshopper

@mdk With respect to the Hitron, it was the usual "everything looks good at our end", so no, they did not offer to replace. I asked for a XB6 because I was a 300 subscriber, but they wanted to charge me $10/month just for the modem. I mentioned that I should be eligible for a replacement XB6 instead of another Hitron, but they only offered me 7 months of modem credit. I ended up upgrading to the 750 package to get the XB6 included, and they gave me a credit for my troubles. I thought that was very good customer service, trying to work with me on the issue. It will cost a little more in the long run, but already the modem and speed have been great.

With respect to the Hitron, I plan on posting in the near future a list of the issues and work arounds that I went through to in an attempt keep the unit running in the hope that it will help anyone who is having similar problems. I spent many, many hours troubleshooting issues and think it might be useful info to share. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help