How many devices can I connect with the XB7

winterpeg
Grasshopper

Okay, I am back before Rogers takes over and we all have to start again.

I have a XB7 in my home, lots of devices connected to it, I have 20 connected to the 2.4 GHZ side and it seems NOT to be able to handle that many without dropping a few of them. On the 5GHZ side, I have another 6 devices connected. The home is about 2500 sq ft, 1700 sq ft on the main level where all but 2 of the devices are located. I have done just about everything and the Blue Curve app shows decent connection on all of the devices.

I pay for the XB7, so would the XB8 be a better fit for my home and the number of devices. I do NOT want to BUY/RENT those extender "pods" as I believe it is Shaw's responsibility for the WIFI to function properly.

Thank you very much for your responses.

Labels (1)
9 Replies

There is a client limit of 75 on 2.4GHz and 75 on 5GHZ.

rstra
Grand Master

@winterpeg There is a client limit of 75 on 2.4GHz and 75 on 5GHZ.

0 Kudos

-- the DHCP-server inside the XB7 can hand-out 254 "local...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@winterpeg -- the DHCP-server inside the XB7 can hand-out 254 "local" IP-addresses (reserving one for itself and one for "broadcast") split over all your wired/wireless devices. 

You could connect one of its 4 LAN ports to a switch, and the switch might have 8 or 16 or 32 Ethernet sockets. So, with 4 switches, you could have 32 or 64 or 128 "wired" computers on your private network, if you can afford the electrical bill for air-conditioning of all those computers.   🙂

P.S. The XB8 can do "WiFi 6E", but the XB7 cannot.

0 Kudos

Okay, I know what you are saying about the theoretical nu...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

Okay, I know what you are saying about the theoretical number that can be connected. What I have happening is that due to "internet" strength at certain times of the day, some of my devices are dropped. I can set my watch when this occurs. At 10PM CST everyday, the camera reconnects. and then in the morning by about 8AM CST, it is dropped. It looks like the XB7 can not handle the bandwidth? NOT sure if that is the right terminology. That camera is upstairs in the house. Anyway, fun times at Shaw High!

0 Kudos

-- At 10PM CST everyday, the camera reconnects That time...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@winterpeg -- At 10PM CST everyday, the camera reconnects

That time is nowhere near "1 AM to 6 AM" (Calgary) when Shaw schedules its "overnight" outages.

So, I doubt that Shaw's offices, in Calgary, cause your outage.

> and then in the morning by about 8 AM CST, it is dropped. 

Could it be the situation that your modem does a "scheduled" restart at 10 PM?

Can you change that schedule, either the time, or the frequency (once per week?)

0 Kudos

I have no idea if the Gateway is set for a restart ay any...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

I have no idea if the Gateway is set for a restart ay anytime. I have the Blue Curve app which allows me to do a restart but I can NOT access the Gateway via the address10.0.0.1  due to my remote address right now. I am 2000 miles away and will not be at the physical address of the house until mid April.

0 Kudos

Also, the camera came back online about an hour ago, ie:...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

Also, the camera came back online about an hour ago, ie: 10PM CST.

0 Kudos

BlueCurve doesn’t have a daily reboot, the TV boxes do da...

rstra
Grand Master

@winterpeg  BlueCurve doesn’t have a daily reboot, the TV boxes do daily a update, but not the modem. Could it be that the cameras have a schedule set, I have my Blink cameras set to be off during part of the day. Or, maybe the cameras are connected to a profile in BC that has a schedule set?

0 Kudos

-- At 10PM CST everyday, the camera reconnects. and then...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@winterpeg -- At 10PM CST everyday, the camera reconnects. and then in the morning by about 8AM CST, it is dropped. 

What time is sunset? 10 PM? What time is sunrise? 8 AM?

Is the camera connected to electrical power that includes a sensor that turns-on the "night-lights" when it gets dark, to provide flood-lights to the exterior of your house, until the next morning?

Any "smart-plugs" in your home, that are programmed to turn on a lamp every evening? Is your camera powered via such a device?

I am 2000 miles away.

To the south, or to the east?   🙂

0 Kudos

I have separate smart plugs. The cameras are all connecte...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

I have separate smart plugs. The cameras are all connected into regular electrical sockets. I am of the opinion that the Blue Curve Gateway is NOT strong enough to provide adequate signal strength to the camera. Depending on the time of day that the camera do not connect, my other 18 devices are most active. The camera is on the 2nd floor as well. From what I have read, the XB* has more antennae for all WiFi bands, which should give more strength to the 2,4GHZ.

When I get back in April, I will get a replacement for the XB7 with the XB8.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help