> just deleting everything is not an option for me.  The...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> just deleting everything is not an option for me. 

The Microsoft Outlook client allows you to create "storage folders" -- folders that are stored on your local computer, not on Shaw's mail-server. Cut-and-paste the important messages from the Shaw server into one (or more) of those "storage folders".

I've had my Shaw address since the 90's and I have never...

dirtdiggingdeb
Grasshopper

I've had my Shaw address since the 90's and I have never had a Quota warning ...... since the beginning of this year I've had many emails from Shaw stating I'm near my quota and must delete my messages. I'm confused because I regularly delete messages  and have never had an issue. 
is something new or different?

Are you deleting from webmail.shaw.ca, and emptying trash?

rstra
Grand Master

Are you deleting from webmail.shaw.ca, and emptying trash?

I didn't see this internet hero reply till now. YES, I do...

Frenzee
Grasshopper
"‎2020-05-05 10:36 PM

You mean free like gmail? Which reads all your email, to gather as much information it can to build a profile about you to follow you around the web?  It's not free, you're just paying with your privacy. "

I didn't see this internet hero reply till now. YES, I do understand how things work in this world. Take off the tinfoil hat there mate, take a deep breath. No1 cares what you or I prefer to purchase except an algorithm. We are not that interesting and you can always say no. 1000MB is just ridic for an email service. I suspect you probably work for Shaw, and you need to stop drinking the Shaw kool-aid.

Hi dirtdiggingdeb, I'm in the same cohort. I've recently b...

themarmotguy
Grasshopper

Hi dirtdiggingdeb,  I'm in the same cohort. 

I've recently been getting messages from Shaw that my "email is nearing limits".  The emails seem legit.  I have my email client (Thunderbird) configured to only keep messages on the Shaw server for a maximum of three days.  Some messages I've not received.  What gives?

In the past I've logged into my Shaw Webmail, verified that my "inbox" is below the 1GB limit, and carried on.

Hmm.  Although my email client (Thunderbird) is configured to not leave anything on the Shaw server after 3 days...it turns out that it keeps a copy of every "sent" message from my phone...so I had messages from 2005 still there (complete with photos).  As my Shaw account only allows for 1 GB of email storage, no wonder emails were "bouncing back".

So. I think the Shaw feedback is valid.  But I think what is different is how we're using our smartphones.  Shaw could be smart enough to notify its customers that the "sent" outbox is the problem...but they'd earn less money than they would by asking you to "upgrade your storage".  Over to you, Shaw.

-- ‎2020-04-23 08:15 PM Within Shaw WebMail, move th...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@themarmotguy -- ‎2020-04-23 08:15 PM

Within Shaw WebMail, move the mouse-pointer over any of the folder-names, and let it "hover", until you see a message like "666 messages and 777 MBytes".  It could be your "Sent" and "Trash" folders that are consuming most of your 1000 MB "quota".

0 Kudos

Me too. My folders re-fill automatically until my quota i...

CaptBilly
Grasshopper

Me too.

My folders re-fill automatically until my quota is maxed out again.

In my case the refills are random that might be years old - and into random folders - so I can't even find them again without a lot of work. 

0 Kudos

-- on how many computers and tablets and smart-phones do...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@CaptBilly -- on how many computers and tablets and smart-phones do you access your Shaw E-mail ID?

If you close the E-mail app on all of them, and then open Shaw WebMail, what do you see? Still approaching your "quota" ?

If you delete from the "Trash" folder, does the available space increase?

0 Kudos

One PC and one Andriod Phone. I am so ready to stop tryin...

CaptBilly
Grasshopper

One PC and one Andriod Phone.

I am so ready to stop trying to become an email expert.  All I want is for it work without a lot of maintenance.

A really great resource at Outlook (amazing that you can get someone who seems to know on the phone in about 3 minutes).  She understood the problem and suggested a solution to it.  I have switched over to POP.  That removes a lot of the attempted, but non properly working, functionality of Shaw WebMail.

A longer reply appears in another thread.  POP, set to delete messages after downloading from the Servers seems to have solved the circular download/upload/repeat problem.

0 Kudos

Thank you!  I was constantly getting 90% quota messages a...

jaf61
Grasshopper

Thank you!  I was constantly getting 90% quota messages and I never thought to check my sent box. Just deleted them all and now I'm at 3%.

TALK TO US
We're here to help