Jump to solution

Re: Internet 150 -doubled to 300 but really its less

Not applicable

no wifi here, direct connection.

Since this announcement email my speed has dropped.

I rebooted my modem, its on bridge mode so I didn't reset it

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Not applicable

If you are running the Hitron cable modem/router in "Bridge" mode, the speed problem may lie with your personal home router, chances are if you update you personal router's firmware, it may fix the speed problem, it did for me. I'm running a Netgear WNDR3700v4 with DD-WRT firmware, it was a older firmware and ran fine at 150 but didn't want to run at 300, once a newer firmware revision was installed, then I got 300. Of course, your personal router has to have gigabit ethernet capabilities on the WAN port at the hardware level.

Regards: Jack

Jump to solution

Not applicable

jack_81 wrote:

If you are running the Hitron cable modem/router in "Bridge" mode, the speed problem may lie with your personal home router, chances are if you update you personal router's firmware, it may fix the speed problem, it did for me. I'm running a Netgear WNDR3700v4 with DD-WRT firmware, it was a older firmware and ran fine at 150 but didn't want to run at 300, once a newer firmware revision was installed, then I got 300. Of course, your personal router has to have gigabit ethernet capabilities on the WAN port at the hardware level.

I doubt it since the speeds are slower with the same router.

I would agree if I got 225 or 185 but its 156 where I always get 178

Wow you were right, I apologise.

My router is choking on its own vomit, thus lowering the speed.

Jump to solution

Not applicable

Hi cartel, happy to hear you got your problem fixed, enjoy the extra speed!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Not applicable

I also was looking forward to the roll out of 150 to 300.  Unfortunately my speed has dropped instead.  I have tried everything suggested above.  I have ordered a cat7 cable to further try to increase my speed.  Talking to a tech it once reached 233 but never again.  Called a tech again, but was cut off, he didn't call back.  One suggestion above is to change the bw from 40 to 80.  I am going to give that a shot.  I will let you know the results after I received the cat7.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

deercroft
Grasshopper

Some of you may be having same problem (and has been reported up to 2 years ago). Chrome, Edge and IE are running at 160-170 mbps on two different machines of mine directly connected to router while Firefox on same machines is running 330 mbps. Shaw hasn't figured it out (tech was out yesterday). My brother uses same browsers but is getting 330 on all in different area.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Not applicable

Hi Deercroft. I just tried running the shaw speed test on my machine using both Firefox and Edge and got over 300 with both. I then tried on my Wife's computer using Vivaldi web browser (Chromium based) and also got over 300. These are all wired machines (1gig ethernet).

Maybe do a search on how to reset the TCPIP stack in windows, there's a command line to do this (I just can't remember right now) and see if that helps.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Not applicable

Hi Caser41. Unless you are running a very old cable (Cat 3 or 4) or your current cable is damaged, I don't think a Cat 7 cable will matter. I'm running CAT 5e here on my LAN and get 1 gbps speeds file sharing between computers (112 megabytes per second). Are you trying to get that kind of speed via Wifi or wired machines?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

deercroft
Grasshopper

Thanks for suggestion. Yes I reset the TCP/IP stack and rebooted but get same results.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Not applicable

Hi Jack_81.  Thanks for the suggestions.  I am using cat4 thus the reason for ordering cat7.  I experience slow speeds no matter what browser I am using or whether it is wired or wireless.  I am waiting until the end of the holidays to tackle on force the problem.  I also am going to install a ssd drive in my imac which I have coming along with the cat7 cable.  I have also tweaked the modem, (I hope).  Same speeds show both on my imac or pc.  Thanks for your suggestions... and by the way 'Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year to you and yours and everyone else on this forum.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help