Jump to solution

-- I recommend that you contact Shaw (online-chat is give...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@capnvini -- I recommend that you contact Shaw (online-chat is given priority over telephone) and get them to trouble-shoot your "less-than-optimal" connection.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I am sick of contacting shaw. Everytime I contact them th...

Amith
Grasshopper

I am sick of contacting shaw. Everytime I contact them they ask me to troubleshoot! Do i pay for bluecurve 600 every month so I can troubleshoot this piece of **bleep**!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Everytime I contact them, they ask me to troubleshoot!...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Amith -- Everytime I contact them, they ask me to troubleshoot!

What did you expect? To tell you to switch to some other provider? To say "tough, you're on a 2-year contract, with huge penalties for cancelling" ?

The problems could be in one or more places:

• your computer -- if it is a notebook/laptop, take it to a friend's home, and run the Shaw SpeedTest while connected to their network;
  • your network -- if a friend has a notebook/laptop, bring it to your home, and run the same test on their computer while connected to your network;
  • your WiFi adapter inside your computer -- connect your computer with a "CAT-5e" or "CAT-6" Ethernet to your cable-modem, and run the same test;
  • your Ethernet adapter inside your computer -- if your computer also has WiFi, disconnect the Ethernet cable, and run the same test;
  • try a different Ethernet cable between your computer and the cable-modem;
  • disconnect the coaxial-cable between your cable-modem and the wall-port, and reconnect it, to ensure a good connection;
  • if you have another activated cable wall-port in your home, connect your cable-modem to that port, and connect your computer (wired or Ethernet) to the cable-modem, and run the same test;
  • while doing an online-chat with Shaw, ask them to remotely logon to your cable-modem, to view its statistics, such as "signal-strength". Bad, or "out-of-specifications", values are not good.
  • ask Shaw to ship you a replacement cable-modem - 3 or 4 "business-days" to get Canada Post to deliver it.

After all, you're paying literally thousands of dollars per year for Shaw Support -- contact them, make them "earn" your money.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

yes, I had same issues and when the shaw tech came out he...

Jennthompson5
Grasshopper

yes, I had same issues and when the shaw tech came out he confirmed with a test I wasn't getting anywhere near the speed I was paying and this was after 2 returns of boxes and the agents blaming it on that. The tech shared that they are upgrading people to 600 but most houses don't have the newer wires going from the pole to the house that can take the blue curve so most people are paying for something they aren't getting. In the end after endless calls nothing was resolved and I went and got my old box back and hooked it back up but unfortunately they couldn't give me my blue curve pvr back and so now I am paying more money and can't really watch many shows as this one takes forever to get to channels and I don't have Netflix I can access on my tv.  I hope you have better luck. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- The tech shared that they are upgrading people to 600...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Jennthompson5 -- The tech shared that they are upgrading people to 600 but most houses don't have the newer wires going from the pole to the house that can take the blue curve so most people are paying for something they aren't getting.

I am unclear. You write "most" houses, but did the technician identify your run of cable as being an example of the "most" ?

If so, did the technician write a ticket to the Shaw technicians who string cable from the telephone (ironically!) pole to your Shaw "demarcation-box", to replace that run of cable. I've seen Shaw redoing the wiring into some MURBs (Multi-Unit Residential Building) as part of their normal "upgrade" of older cables.

If "most people are not getting", what are they doing? Downgrading to a speed that their older cable can handle? Contacting Shaw, to schedule a technician to re-string the cable? Not contacting Shaw at all?  Not that this matters to you -- you want Shaw to fix something for your service, and you probably care much less for "most people" to get the similar re-stringing.

> unfortunately they couldn't give me my blue curve pvr back

What do you mean? When you "downgraded", did you return your BlueCurve to Shaw, and did Shaw give you a "Gateway PVR" to replace it?

> this one takes forever to get to channels

Which PVR do you now have? What channel (NBC? CBC?) are you switching "from", and what channel are you switching "to" (MTV? PBS HighDef?)

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

You either misunderstood the technician or they don’t kno...

rstra
Grand Master

You either misunderstood the technician or they don’t know what they are doing. All cable that Shaw uses is capable of providing those internet speeds. There may be some houses where the drop is over-extended, but that is solved by the technician upgrading the drop, and you would have had issues with the other internet speeds as well.  The vast majority of homes are good to go. As far as Shaw’s infrastructure before the home, they are also able to deliver those download speeds, they are doing upgrades to improve the upload speeds.

Jump to solution

Same dropped connections every couple minutes. Even when...

JLSCL
Grasshopper

Same dropped connections every couple minutes.

Even when it's working (internet 600) the service has some lag and scrabbled pictures on movies we're streaming.  But I have to write quickly cause I don't know when this connection will drop!

Did the chat to check issues.  Had a tech come just a few weeks ago. Upgraded to the Blue curve...waste of $$ i. 

My neighbour uses Telus and her internet also went down on Sunday and she's back up and running....and they are working.  She said they have an issue once every year or two.  Not us! Waiting for a tech to come again....still have the old modem (which is identical looking to the 'new' modem) as the technician wasn't allowed to take it with him cause of the covid restrictions. Guess he will be saving me a trip to drop it off 😉  I can't keep waiting a week for a tech to come...and can't expect to have a tech come every month and a half! Very put off Shaw

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- the service has some lag and scrabbled pictures on mov...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@JLSCL -- the service has some lag and scrabbled pictures on movies we're streaming. 

These are typical symptoms of a "slower-than-normal" connection.

> the technician wasn't allowed to take it with him cause of the covid restrictions.

Agreed.

> Guess he will be saving me a trip to drop it off

Before you take the equipment to the local Shaw retail store, check that they will accept equipment returns. At this moment, they are not even accepting payments (cash/cheque) for the monthly invoices.

Instead, contact Shaw, to get a mailing-label. Put the equipment into the box. Affix the label. Take the box to your local Canada Post outlet. It will be "prepaid". Be sure to get a Canada Post Tracking Number -- if there is a dispute whether you returned the equipment, that Tracking Number will be sufficient proof that you tried.

> I can't keep waiting a week for a tech to come

Then do not wait. Contact Shaw (currently online-chat is given priority over telephone) and get them to trouble-shoot. They should remotely logon to your cable-modem, to view its statistics, including "signal strength" reaching your modem.

Run the Shaw SpeedTest, both on your own computer and one "independent" one (borrowed from friend/relative/neighbour). Post the results here.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I was just talked into "upgrading" to this new 1 gbps pla...

Slarty
Grasshopper

I was just talked into "upgrading" to this new 1 gbps plan.  They tell me it will kick in within 5-10 minutes.  I didn't have time to check until the morning but my once 600 mbps connection is now down to avg 300.  This is brutal!  I JUST had my modem replaced after 3 days of troubleshooting with web chat like 3 months ago!  They confided in me that they do not have a tier 2 to escalate to and aren't given training to troubleshoot anything.  All they do is re-provision the modems, send firmware out, and tell you to make sure you're directly connected to the modem before you contact them. 

So I jumpted through their hoops again, factory reset, speed test after speed test, plugged the modem directly into the coax coming into the house etc etc etc.  Then a guy called me and had me run more speed tests, and ask all of the same questions over the phone.  Then he dispatched a tech for today.

The guy just left,  when he got here he said my lines looked over 25 years old and he was surprised I was even getting the speeds I had.  So he climbed up a ladder and replaced the line.  Then when I was back up and ran another 300 mbps speed test, he double checked my plan, said "yup, should be a gig.  Nothing more I can do here!" and left.  So now I'm supposed to try to escalate with tech support after telling them a tech was out here.  Shouldn't he do that so someone else can continue working on this?  I'm about to ask Shaw how I can start billing them for my time because I've spent days on something that I've more than proven is not my issue. 

When I read through the contract, it said something about a $15 fee to cancel?  Is there a bunch of other crap they'll try and tag me with?  I think it's time to try the competition again.  They seem to have much faster upload speeds anyhow.  Seriously, who the hell needs a gig down when you only get 25 up?  It ended up costing 10 bucks more a month which is why I signed up for it in the first place.  Last speed test I did (when I got the replacement modem) I was running the proper 600 as per my last plan.  Switch to gb only so I can get 300 mbps?  What the hell is this Shaw?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Oh yeah, forgot to mention.  They tried to charge me $100...

Slarty
Grasshopper

Oh yeah, forgot to mention.  They tried to charge me $100 for the modem I returned too!   That's why I contacted them in the first place only to find out this 300 mbps debacle.  I remember when I first signed on with Shaw they had excellent sales AND support.  It's the reason I've stayed with them so long.  But it's become real nonsense with all this BlueCurve stuff.  I think I'm done giving these people my money.   And knowing that many of you are having similar issues really drives it home. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help