Internet Connection Issue

dm2
Grasshopper

I have TV and internet from Shaw. 

The TV is fine. The internet Hitron CGNM2250 modem often drops out during usage or on restarting. 

When the issue is present, the modem 3rd icon from the top keeps flashing green. When everything is working ok, the icon turns blue. 

When the problem happens, I tried calling Shaw tech support several times so they can test the system from their end. After waiting for 1/2 hour on hold, the modem problem fixes itself, then everything works until the next instance. 

Anyone have any ideas why the modem 3rd icon flashes?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

The modem is looking for an upstream connection. Make sur...

rstra
Grand Master

@dm2  The modem is looking for an upstream connection. Make sure all your connections are tight and call Rogers and get them to check the signal, this might require a service call.

Thanks. I had 2 of the 90 degree coax  cable adapters ins...

dm2
Grasshopper

Thanks.

I had 2 of the 90 degree coax  cable adapters installed where the cable comes out of the  wall and at the modem.

They  were something I installed so the installation looks cleaner.

I removed both, so the installation is back to how shaw originally had it. Tightened the connectors with a wrench.

After that, it hasn't acted up on that same day.

I'll retry for the next few weeks and post an update

That’s good to hear. Yes, those connectors can cause prob...

rstra
Grand Master

@dm2  That’s good to hear. Yes, those connectors can cause problem.

Update: The same problem came back after 4 days, connecti...

dm2
Grasshopper

Update:

The same problem came back after 4 days, connection dropping out and the 3rd modem light flashing.

This time I checked the coax connections outside the house at the Shaw box. All the connections were tight at the splitter when checked by hand. However, when I used a wrench, I found 1 input cable quite loose. It took several turns to tighten. There is a rubber seal between the ports on the splitter and coax cable nuts. I guess it took extra torque with a wrench to get the seal to seat properly.

I have not had any issues for a few days since.

I was also watching a utube video on how  slightly loose connections can  cause signal interference. 

I think if anyone has internet issues, check all your cable connections using a wrench to make sure they are all snug.

0 Kudos

Yes, most cable problems are RF related.

rstra
Grand Master

@dm2  Yes, most cable problems are RF related. 

-- After waiting for 1/2 hour on hold When you have the i...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dm2 -- After waiting for 1/2 hour on hold

When you have the issue, can you still open a "chat" session (www.shaw.ca/chat) to ALMOST IMMEDIATELY contact a Shaw Agent?

0 Kudos

No, I can't open a chat session if my internet is not wor...

dm2
Grasshopper

No, I can't open a chat session if my internet is not working. 

I don't have a data plan on my phone either

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help