internet connection stops for some devices randomly while other continue work,

Jim108
Grasshopper

Labels (1)
11 Replies

-- more details, please: what devices continue to work?...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Jim108 -- more details, please:

• what devices continue to work? Manufacturer? Model? Operating system?
  • what devices stop?
  • which devices connect via 2.4 Ghz?
  • which devices connect via 5 Ghz?
  • can you switch a device to from 2.4/5 Ghz to 5/2.4 Ghz?

0 Kudos

It seems random. Wyze plugs, camera and motion sensors ha...

Jim108
Grasshopper

It seems random. Wyze plugs, camera and motion sensors have at time stopped. CE Smart plugs, Globe Suite plugs and bulbs, Prime Wire out door plugs that are all 2.4G Motorola Phone that is usually on 5G but when out doesn't wonk on either. Older iPad quits regularly. Newer iPad and 2 year old iPhone will stop. Computer some times that is on 5G. All have stopped at times.  I had a switch in an extension cord so I could restart the modem easier. It had the same problem before as after. I have unplugged and removed coax for 45 seconds and repluged in. I have taken the extension cord and switch out and plugged the modem into the wall and where the cable comes in the house. Been through three agents and every time I get a new suggestion that drops the connection and chat window. It's all working now but if things continue stop and I need to reset too often I will try something more drastic.

0 Kudos

I also have a Fongo phone adapter plugged into a Cat5 por...

Jim108
Grasshopper

I also have a Fongo phone adapter plugged into a Cat5 port on the modem. It will stop occasionally too. I had considered using my own modem but since the phone wired connection stops there is no point. After the total reboot of everything, the Prime Plug was unavailable so it seems my problems continue. It is 2.4G.

0 Kudos

--- ...  plugged into a Cat5 port on the modem. It will s...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Jim108 --- ...  plugged into a Cat5 port on the modem. It will stop occasionally too. 

Since both wired and WiFi connections are failing, go drastic, and get Shaw to replace the "flaky" device.

How old is the cable-modem? How long have you had this issue?

0 Kudos

I have a Hitron CGNM-2250 and Internet 300. The Modem is...

Jim108
Grasshopper

I have a Hitron CGNM-2250 and Internet 300. The Modem is about 4 years old.

0 Kudos

-- I have a Hitron CGNM-2250 and Internet 300.  I recentl...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Jim108 -- I have a Hitron CGNM-2250 and Internet 300. 

I recently signed a new two-year Value Plan with Shaw. It was a solicited "early renewal", with about 5 months left on my then-current two-year Value Plan.  As part of the renewal, Shaw upgraded me to the much-newer XB7 cable-modem/router, and to Fibre+ 500. If you are getting near to the end of your current plan, contact Shaw at:  1-888-444-5295 and see what Shaw can offer you. I noticed that the WiFi coverage is much stronger, and my upload speed is now 100 Mbps -- previously, it was 15 Mbps.  🙂

My hope is that swapping modems will resolve your issue.

0 Kudos

Computer works fine in all other areas. I have Shaw Ignit...

Foxhair
Grasshopper

Computer works fine in all other areas. I have Shaw Ignite 500 put in last week. Internet quits randomly, usually for a few seconds.  I have done all the network diagnostic and networking is fine except for internet.  Technician who installed only tightened cable half way in but I fixed all connections myself. Internet cuts out less now but still continues.

0 Kudos

-- when your Internet quits randomly, do you have any oth...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Foxhair -- when your Internet quits randomly, do you have any other devices (WiFi or wired) that continue to have Internet access?  Which devices "stop" -- iPhone connected to your WiFi, Smart-TV connected to your WiFi, desktop connected via Ethernet cable? Security cameras? WiFi door-bell?

0 Kudos

-- contact Shaw [1-888-472-2222] or www.shaw.ca/chat to g...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Foxhair -- contact Shaw [1-888-472-2222] or www.shaw.ca/chat to get an Agent to remotely logon to your cable-modem, to view the "signal strength" reaching it. Having poor signal-strength may be causing your symptoms.  Did you upgrade from a previous modem, such as a Hitron, that was more-tolerant of poor signal-strength?

How is your computer connected to the cable-modem -- Ethernet cable, 2.4 Ghz WiFi, 5 Ghz WiFi?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help