-- internet speed tests show that download never exceed 6...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@peter_orr -- internet speed tests show that download never exceed 60 mbps and upload barely hits 20, so 300 mnps is complete fiction

Certainly, something is wrong with your download speed. Your upload speed is higher than the 15 Mbps provided by "Shaw 300" service.

Run the Shaw SpeedTest, with a "CAT-5e" or "CAT-6" Ethernet cable connecting your cable-modem to your computer, and tell us what speed you are observing.

If you have an older computer, with a "Wireless G" WiFi network-adapter, the speed of that adapter will be significantly limiting your download speed. While "Wireless N" supports a theoretical maximum of 300 Mbps, when using "channel bonding", you're more likely to see a maximum of 150 Mbps.

I recommend that you contact Shaw (online-chat currently gets priority over telephone), and have them trouble-shoot. For example, they can remotely logon to your cable-modem, to view its performance statistics, such as "signal-strength".

I'm sorry for any frustrations that may have caused. I'm...

shaw-tony

@Sysengr I'm sorry for any frustrations that may have caused. I'm within the same area and haven't experienced any issues after maintenance. When the disconnections happen, does the modem go offline (white light on top goes out) or does it stay solid? Do the disconnections affect your ethernet connected devices or is it WiFi only?

Checking your connections, it looks like your upstream signal from the modem is a bit out of spec which may be causing the disconnection issues you've been having. I'd recommend reseating the coax cable connection finger tight, ensuring there are no kinks in the coax cable, and replace any splitters that are connected to it. That should improve the signal connection, if it doesn't, touch base with technical support to further troubleshoot or to schedule a technician visit to investigate.

0 Kudos

I have this same issue. Trying to contact tech support bu...

AngelaV6955
Grasshopper

I have this same issue. Trying to contact tech support but of course I have already been on hold for over an hour and a half which is just infuriating. This is by far the WORST internet I have ever had. 

0 Kudos

-- I have already been on hold for over an hour and a hal...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@AngelaV6955 -- I have already been on hold for over an hour and a half

If you were listening to their pre-recorded messages while you were on hold, you may have heard a message stating that Shaw is currently giving preference to online-chat over telephone.

For me, waiting for an online chat to connect me to a live person has never been over 5 minutes.

Hint: try telephoning late in the (Pacific Time Zone) evening -- you will probably get connected to a Shaw Call Centre in Atlantic Canada, e.g., Moncton, where it is the middle of the night. 

0 Kudos

I got same issue at saskatoonInternet constantly disconne...

iron0121
Grasshopper

I got same issue at saskatoonInternet constantly disconnecting all day everyday and then I don't know what's going on ,issue going on 3 weeks now and shaw hasn’t fixed it even multiple TS come onstie. Where can i complain them for about this issue?

0 Kudos

-- Where can i complain them for about this issue? While...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@iron0121 -- Where can i complain them for about this issue?

While reading this, scroll-down to see:

Capture.JPG

Click that "Your Voice" hyperlink to send feedback to Shaw.

0 Kudos

I just started having this problem down at Lang Bay. Webc...

SydneyP
Grasshopper

I just started having this problem down at Lang Bay. Webcams/Netflix/clock whatever. They drop off and then go back on multiple times a day. Anybody had a solution? New modem?

0 Kudos

there may be several reasons why your Internet drops off...

shaw-tony

@SydneyP there may be several reasons why your Internet drops off such as weak signal to the modem, kinked coax cables, faulty coax outlet, faulty power bar/outlet, including a faulty modem. Swapping the modem may not fix your issue. Try some troubleshooting steps here, if they don't work, touch base with technical support to investigate further.

I have the exact same problem, and they have offered the...

Buddnet
Grasshopper

I have the exact same problem, and they have offered the same exact solutions - turning the modem off and on, or offering to get a faster internet service... I'm up to a 600 Mbps system now, but it is STILL HAPPENING... I need a stable internet for my home business, as I must do zoom conferences, etc, and I CANNOT make it past maybe 30 minutes before my internet crashes and I must turn off my internet (in my computer) and turn it back on, and it reconnects... It is ridiculous, and NO ONE at Shaw has been able to provide a solution, other than upselling me a faster service - which hasn't worked...

0 Kudos

-- NO ONE at Shaw has been able to provide a solution, ot...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Buddnet -- NO ONE at Shaw has been able to provide a solution, other than upselling me a faster service - which hasn't worked.

If you ask, a Shaw Agent should be able to remotely logon to your cable-modem, to check various values, including "signal-strength". Having poor signal-strength can cause your symptoms.

As @shaw-tony wrote on July 21:

I'd recommend reseating the coax cable connection finger tight, ensuring there are no kinks in the coax cable, and replace any splitters that are connected to it. That should improve the signal connection, if it doesn't, touch base with technical support to further troubleshoot or to schedule a technician visit to investigate.

Also, try a different coaxial-cable, and a different Ethernet cable.  Temporarily, bypass any coaxial-splitter.

TALK TO US
We're here to help