-- thirty minutes Open a command-line prompt, and enter:...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Buddnet -- thirty minutes

Open a command-line prompt, and enter: IPCONFIG /ALL

and look for lines similar to:

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.10(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : October-05-20 01:52:43 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : November-05-20 08:16:51 AM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

My computer has been granted an IP-address from my Shaw cable-modem that expires tomorrow morning.

What do you see for your "lease obtained" and "lease expires" values?  Are they 30 minutes apart?

Are you using any "Internet Security" package (anti-virus & firewall) ? Norton? McAfee? Such software can block your computer from "refreshing" its IP-address after your 30 minutes have expired.

0 Kudos

Internet constantly disconnecting

FOREST
Grasshopper

we are also having the same problem. we upgraded to the new "lighting fast fibre + internet speeds" got their new modem, what a joke. the old Hiltron modem was much better . The modem  is in clear line of sight  from the tv in the living room and I cant even watch the news anymore, every 2min it is constantly disconnecting.

0 Kudos

what a piece of junk why am i even paying money for this...

FOREST
Grasshopper

what a piece of junk why am i even paying money for this ,was this new equipment and technology not even tested out first before selling to consumers 

0 Kudos

-- I think that it's possible that the HITRON is more tol...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@FOREST -- I think that it's possible that the HITRON is more tolerant of "poor signal strength" than the BlueCurve.

I recommend that you contact Shaw Support (www.shaw.ca/chat ) or 1-888-472-2222 and get the Agent to remotely logon to your BlueCurve, to view the signal-strength, and other values, reaching the BlueCurve.

0 Kudos

MY internet and TV view experience has turned to absolute...

Orthogod
Grasshopper

MY internet and TV view experience has turned to absolute...well...**bleep**.   

We have not enjoyed any noticeable benefits other than searching with voice.

We had contacted shaw...they could not find our router...I could not continue with support at the time...after disconnecting power and reconnecting multiple times...because I had to work...2 hours of waiting and effort lost.

I too am considering switching cable and internet providers...

0 Kudos

-- I too am considering switching cable and internet prov...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Orthogod -- I too am considering switching cable and internet providers

If you currently have a "two-year Value Plan" with Shaw, there will be a cancellation fee ($20/month for the remaining months). If you are paying month-by-month, just cancel, after signing-up with Telus, and after a Telus installer has hooked-up everything.

Note that there is very little competition for TV/Internet services. In B.C., there is Shaw and there is Telus and there are "resellers".

Those resellers purchase "bulk" network capacity from Telus and/or Shaw.  So, confirm with the reseller that they will be providing Telus networking to you, not via Shaw.

If the reseller supplies Shaw networking, you could have the same problems, because the reseller will use the Shaw network, rather than installing their own cables up-and-down your street.

My recommendation is to continue to connect to Shaw. Ask a Shaw Agent to remotely logon to your cable-modem, for them to view the signal-strength reaching the device. A "poor" signal can cause the symptoms you have observed.

Thank you.

Rorschached99
Grasshopper

Thank you.

0 Kudos

I am also having issues where my internet connections dro...

WhyAmIHere
Grasshopper

I am also having issues where my internet connections drops out randomly throughout the day. I would not really care if it were not happening so frequently (already 4-5 times a couple hours into my work day), and if was not during business hours, when I NEED to be able to have consistent internet access for meetings and SSH access. If this issue is not resolved soon I will be switching internet providers. As I was typing this, my internet dropped AGAIN. This is super unacceptable.

0 Kudos

-- welcome to this user-to-user discussion (and sometimes...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@WhyAmIHere -- welcome to this user-to-user discussion (and sometimes "gripe") forum. It is not a path to Shaw Support.

I recommend that you contact Shaw ( www.shaw.ca/chat or 1-888-472-2222 ) and get the Shaw Agent to remotely logon to your cable-modem, to view and interpret the various statistics that the modem is keeping, e.g., "signal-strength", because bad signal-strength could be your issue.

0 Kudos

That has been happening in Port Alberni for months. In ad...

danadams
Grasshopper

That has been happening in Port Alberni for months. In addition, when Shaw turns it down for the weekends it becomes totally unusable.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help