For the past 5+ years (not kidding), I have been trying t...

Steebers
Grasshopper

For the past 5+ years (not kidding), I have been trying to get Shaw to fix the same issue. I can sit half a foot in front of my modem/router on the floor, and watch the internet cut in and out on my phone, sometimes every 45 seconds or so, sometimes it'll go as long as a minute and a half before cutting out again. I have been communicating this to Shaw for seriously years. I have had multiple tech visits, spoken with multiple tech support personnel on the phone, and repeatedly been asked if I have tried turning the modem/router on/off, unplugging it for 5 or so minutes, traded hardware in for different hardware, been asked if my house is old or large or if there are any obstructions between the device and the modem/router. I have repeatedly advised Shaw that my house is 790 square feet, that I am sitting on the modem, that I have paid hundreds of dollars in multiple months of data overages on my mobile account and have faithfully paid my Shaw bill on time for years for spotty at best service.

Shaw's response repeatedly over this timeframe has been to try to upsell me faster internet (I have internet 75, which should be theoretically more than adequate for my needs, and to which I have responded by asking what good is fast or slow internet when it doesn't consistently work??), to offer me a 'deal' on my monthly rate for a year, or to completely ignore me when advised that the issue has in fact not been corrected at all, giving me the definite impression that I am neither being taken seriously nor am I valued as a client.

I gave Telus the go-ahead to cancel my Shaw account on my behalf this morning, and though time will tell if Telus is a better service provider or not, I just cut my monthly internet rate in half (really) for the same Internet75 and with no contract or expiry timeframe on price point.

I have absolutely had it (clearly) with Shaw's complete and utter unwillingness or inability to provide the consistent and reliable service that I have been consistently and reliably paying for. Even if there is no change in the signal dropping in and out, I am at least looking forward to a change in providers. And for half the money. 

I am sorry to hear of the ongoing issues you've had. It s...

shaw-tony

@Steebers I am sorry to hear of the ongoing issues you've had. It sounds like a case of WiFi interference or potential issues with your device. Did you previously notice this issue on multiple wireless devices (tablets, laptops, other phones)? Also, do you receive the same slow speeds/disconnections with a direct ethernet connection to a PC? We certainly want to resolve your troubles and keep your business with us. Let me know if you have more questions.

0 Kudos

It wont help.  What area of Calgary are you in? I'm in Ru...

JakeT
Grasshopper

It wont help. 

What area of Calgary are you in? I'm in Rundle and have been experiencing these issues for going on 8 to 9 months. Around the time others have said that Shaw upgraded everyone from 150 to 300 and from 300 to 600. All wired connections and wireless go out at the same time the modem 99% of the time shows that it is connected but I will disconnect all hours of the day at seemingly randomly but speed is never issue once my device reconnects its full speed... one day it could be two disconnects the next it could be 40+ times. I have had about 8 or so technicians come out to my house... Every cable in my house has been replaced by Shaw from the wire going from the ally way green box, thru my basement wall, under my floor, up to my wall outlet and to the modem. And my modem has been swapped twice. I also went and bought a new router to see if this helped but I found out it was just random and I was experiencing a few light days of disconnects and soon found myself disconnecting again 40+ times a day.

To further troubleshoot this for about a week I disconnected everything in my house other then 1 computer wired directly in to the modem and 1 computer wireless and it still did not fix the issue. I then tested with just the wired computer for a few days and this again still did not fix the issue I tried a different computer being the only thing connected to my network and this again still did not fix the issue. I did this to test if my devices were some how the root of the problem.

I have gone as far as to having a "ping -t 1.1.1.1" command going all day to directly show me when my network is going down and have 100s of screenshots of ping tests and trace routes. I also downloaded a program called Internet Connectivity Monitor which I set up to run ping tests on Shaws website as well as google non stop and it counts how many times you disconnect in a day. I have shown people at Shaw these screenshots and talked to seemingly every "senior tech". And nothing has fixed it. If I talk about the issue to just the low tech people in chat they dont understand what is happening and draw blanks or ask me to try things I have done a 100 times. Any higher up person tells me its a problem with the node in my area and they are working on it... over half a year later its still not fixed.

So I finally gave up and wanted to switch off of Shaw to another ISP. But I'm under contract and was told by "loyalty" that because I still have usage on my network despite the stability issue I would still have to pay $15 for every month I have left on my contract. So I have come to the point where I use my Public Mobile cell phone internet plan to power my network when Im doing anything important until my GB's run out and then use shaw after that...

The sad part is Shaw was great for about 5 months before the free upgrade... If I was having these issues within the first 2 weeks of the contract I would have simply canceled my service with no fine. 

All in all I would not hold my breath waiting for Shaw to fix this issue. I have almost entirely given up on the situation and as soon as I have some extra cash will pay the $15 for every remaining month and switch to a different ISP. Will most likely have to give DSL a try... its a lot slower but if its more stable then I could care less.

I see you have a similar post here which I have advised t...

shaw-tony

@JakeT I see you have a similar post here which I have advised that there is an area issue that we are working on resolving. Thank you again for your patience.

0 Kudos

I solved mine by putting the shaw modem in the basement a...

Rjpvjr
Grasshopper

I solved mine by putting the shaw modem in the basement and attaching it near the main shaw coaxial cable. It only passess through 1 splitter instead of splitter from the basement and splitter again on the second floor. Then i just used an extender since basement wifi signal is less on the 2nd floor. Less splitters is better. I dont know if its significant but i attached the shaw cable modem on the 7db splitter output instead of the 3db

0 Kudos

> I don't know if its significant but I attached the Shaw...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I don't know if its significant but I attached the Shaw cable modem on the 7db splitter output instead of the 3db.

Some splitters label the DROP in signal-strength at that connector. On those splitters, connecting to the lower-number connector gives a stronger signal to the device (the Shaw cable-modem).

0 Kudos

I have the same issue, Mostly in the early morning. The c...

Warnick
Grasshopper

I have the same issue, Mostly in the early morning. The connection is awful and slow. . Latency in the 7000 MS range. It has been like that for many months now. A few months back they had 2 techs out and checked the house, all is great. They hooked right to the box in the ally and found every modem in the area was red and full of errors. well after many months i called in again today, after any disconnects, and was told it was assigned to a tech but there was no ETA.. I think that months of service disruption is unacceptable for a service we pay big dollars for .  I have been a client since Shaw was first introduced and will be looking at other packages in the future.

0 Kudos

agree , it is an area issue. I had 2 techs out here a few...

Warnick
Grasshopper

agree , it is an area issue. I had 2 techs out here a few months ago and they test right at the junction in the ally. The house was fine but they found every modem in the area was full of errors. It was terrible again this morning so I called to get a statement that a tech is assigned but there is no ETA, It should not take months to resolve an issue That is affecting that many clients. Of course I have too have had a temporary cable strung through the yard for over a year now.

I am like others in the forums. I have been a client with Shaw for many years, Since Shaw first started operation 40+ and will be looking to get out when my contract is up. My bill is well over $200 a month and for that I expect more than I have been provided.

0 Kudos

for your case it definitely looks to be a noise issue whi...

shaw-tony

@Warnick for your case it definitely looks to be a noise issue which can take some time to determine where it is coming from. I appreciate your patience while we work on a complete resolution. As for the temporary cable, that should be taken care of as soon as possible. Please touch base with technical support team once again so we can schedule a technician to bury/relocate that.

0 Kudos

This probably diconnecting wifi has been happening at my...

Watcher911
Grasshopper

This probably diconnecting wifi has been happening at my place since I upgraded as well.   It affects everything, gaming, netflixs, youtube,  the modem does not reboot, the wifi disconnects and then seconds later reconnects, very frustrating.  It is odd that so many people have complained but no one seems to have an answer.  Shaw must have some tech person that knows what is happening.... It is odd that shaw has gone to these new contracts to lock people in and then supply defective service....is there any point to have a technical person out again to look at this?  Last time the new router they put in has the same problem....

Does tech support know what is causing this issue?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help