- can you give some quantitative details? Do you have mu...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@nokara - can you give some quantitative details?

1. Do you have multiple coaxial outlets in your home, such that you can connect the Shaw modem directly to one of those wall-plates, and use a "CAT-5e" (or "CAT-6") Ethernet cable to connect your computer to your modem, and then run the Shaw SpeedTest at each location?  What numbers for download/upload do you get?
  2. Do you have a coaxial-splitter between the wall-plate and your Shaw modem, such that "half" the coaxial connection goes to your Shaw TV box?  If you do, have you tried replacing that splitter?
  3. Which Shaw modem do you have? Blue wedge? Black rectangular box with lots of fins? Hitron? BlueCurve?
  4. Going back to question #1, what speed are you paying to Shaw to get?
  5. Do you have a lot of equipment (Shaw router, Shaw TV box, TV, computer, lamp, speakers, computer screen) plugged-in to the one electrical wall-plate?
  6. Have you tried a different Ethernet cable between the Shaw router and your computer?
  7. When you do have a problem, have the lamps on the cable-modem changed from their "normal" status?
0 Kudos

I currently have SHAW NO SPEED = again - out all day one...

pfs
Grasshopper

I currently have SHAW NO SPEED = again - out all day one day this week and then this is the fifth time I have not been able to get onto my e-mail.  What am I paying for????  They said to talk to a tech and all he did was insist that I live in an apartment block and he could fix the problem that my neighbours and we are having by working on my Shaw box behind a large cabinet and screwed to the wall.  They have a monopoly in this area and they know it so we have no choice but put up with this crap.

We have a BUNDLE with two tv, one computer on modem and t...

pfs
Grasshopper

We have a BUNDLE with two tv, one computer on modem and the phone.  It was installed by Shaw so I have no idea what the set up is.  One cable box is HD the other is not.  It was installed about 15 years ago.  My speed was very low but I cannot remember the numbers,  We are apparently "grandfathered" with a slow speed.  We are paying $200 for the bundle.  I crawled around on the floor with a jerk from Shaw telling me to get someone younger to help - sure pull a kid off the street?  He insisted that we lived in an apartment style block because he did not understand what a duplex patio home was and I hurt my back while working with him.  I was on my cell because that was the day everything went out and my shaw phone would not work.  My cell went dead and thankfully I did not have to deal with him any more so no techie for me please.

Right now all else is working - internet is fine but I cannot get into Shaw e-mail again.  This is frustrating and makes me think Google is the better alternative for e-mail.  Any suggestions

0 Kudos

Guess what,Shaw?? It IS your lousy Blue Curve modems whic...

Spiritorb
Grasshopper

Guess what,Shaw?? It IS your lousy Blue Curve modems which cause the majority of internet disconnects! I was having constant disconnects when using the Blue Curve(READ CRAP) modem. I have since switched to the Hitron GCNM250 and have had absolutely NO disconnects or other issues since! It is HIGH TIME that Shaw just admits that the Blue Curve is a bug filled MESS, and moves on to better technology, instead of being in lockstep with Comcast!

> I cannot get into Shaw e-mail again.  Any suggestions....

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I cannot get into Shaw e-mail again.  Any suggestions.

Can you successfully logon to Shaw WebMail, with your E-mail ID and its password? If not, click "Forgot Password", and follow that path.

If unable to logon to Shaw WebMail, do you have a My Shaw ID? If not, click "Create", to create one. If you do have a Shaw ID, but cannot remember what it is, click "Create". The Shaw ID that you create will replace any current Shaw ID. Hint: many people create their Shaw ID to match their Shaw E-mail ID.

Then, logon to My Shaw, and you will be able to change the logon password for your E-mail ID. That should let you logon to Shaw WebMail.  Then, on your computer, launch your E-mail program, and change the "saved" password to the newly-defined password.

0 Kudos

- We are apparently "grandfathered" with a slow speed.  W...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@pfs - We are apparently "grandfathered" with a slow speed.  We are paying $200 for the bundle.  

Telephone Shaw, and ask them for pricing for a "two-year Value Plan" for your "triple play" (TV, phone, Internet) bundle.

You will get 300 mbps Internet, using a new HITRON 4-port cable-modem, and a two-year guarantee of no price increases. Tell them that you want to keep your current two Shaw TV boxes. Monthly, the cost could be the same.

0 Kudos

just fix it!   how many customers need to be frustrated b...

user_45565841
Grasshopper

just fix it!   how many customers need to be frustrated before Shaw resolves this matter! 

Having Similar Issues, at least 3-4 times a day the inter...

JOEJ55
Grasshopper

Having Similar Issues, at least 3-4 times a day the internet drops, sends the house into a tizzy.  Quite frustrating as I'm working from home and rely on internet for conference calls and video conferencing.  Running the 600 service to support everything, but the last two weeks it has been VERY unreliable.  I'm an IT professional so please don't ask me to reboot the **bleep** modem again.  Nothing has changes on my end.........it's YOU not ME.  Would appreciate someone looking into it as soon as possible.  Telus is on speed dial.

0 Kudos

> Would appreciate someone looking into it as soon as pos...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Would appreciate someone looking into it as soon as possible. 

This is a "user-to-user" forum. I recommend that you contact Shaw (online-chat or telephone), and get the technician to remotely logon to your cable-modem, to check "signal strength" and other values.

> Telus is on speed dial.

Is that because you are having problems getting through to them?  🙂

0 Kudos

the upstream signal to your modem is out of spec. Some tr...

shaw-tony

@JOEJ55 the upstream signal to your modem is out of spec. Some troubleshooting should be able to fix that right up. Can you connect the modem directly to the coax outlet on the wall? Please ensure there are no kinks in the coax cable or if it's old, swap for a new one. Additionally, you can try a different outlet in your home to see how the connection goes. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help