Internet Constantly Disconnecting

appleMacTech
Grasshopper

I've seen this question posted many times before but it's our turn. We live in North Vancouver. For about the past four weeks, our Internet has been constantly disconnecting at random, all day long, every day. Sometimes it will happen 15 or 20 times in a row within a 10 minute period. Other times, our connection will work perfectly for an hour or two and then start to act up. When the problem happens, the connection completely drops out (web and e-mail go "dead") and then the connection comes back online shortly afterward, sometimes within a few seconds. In the thread below, the poster mentions that it's supposedly the node for their area that’s the issue (going on 4 weeks for them, too, at the time when the post was made back in 2018):

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-discussions/internet-constantly-disconnecting/m-p/2513#M1534

We recently had the free upgrade to 300 plus we got a new white Shaw XB7 Gateway. We do not use Wi-Fi at all in our home. We use gigabit wired ethernet which I installed myself as an electrical contractor (I am also an Apple Certified Macintosh Technician so naturally, I have tried every possible solution -- to no avail).

What the hell is causing this to happen? Is there a problem in our area? Does this have something to do with the purchase by Rogers? It is driving us absolutely insane to the point of where I am almost ready to get rid of Shaw once and for all.

Labels (1)
62 Replies

Contact Shaw to get them to troubleshoot and check your c...

rstra
Grand Master

@appleMacTech  Contact Shaw to get them to troubleshoot and check your connection.

--  Is there a problem in our area? Possibly. Does this...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@appleMacTech --  Is there a problem in our area?

Possibly.

Does this have something to do with the purchase by Rogers? 

Not likely. I expect it will take months before any "technical" changes will happen, e.g., Rogers technicians being trained to work on Shaw's infrastructure, and Rogers Customer Agents being trained to answer calls to Shaw's Help Desk(s). The ink is barely dry on the administrative paperwork.  It will take a while for over 1 million Shaw customers to be "migrated" into the Rogers data-centre & billing systems.

Anyway, what do the lamps on the cable-modem look like when things are "normal" ?  Then, check again when you have an issue.

Note that a Shaw Agent can remotely logon to the Shaw cable-modem, to view the "signal-strength", and other values/statistics. Give Shaw a call, and ask the Agent to do so, and to interpret the results.

LED on the gateway is white when this happens. Thanks ver...

appleMacTech
Grasshopper

LED on the gateway is white when this happens.

Thanks very much, I'll ask Shaw to view signal strength.

There is a known Shaw problem in "our area". "Many people...

appleMacTech
Grasshopper

There is a known Shaw problem in "our area".

"Many people are facing this issue" said the tech support agent. Ongoing for 4 weeks with no fix yet. Just as I thought.

Shaw crew supposedly coming out.

Thanks for being on top of things and for fixing it so fast, Shaw 😀

0 Kudos

For anybody else reading this who has been dealing with t...

appleMacTech
Grasshopper

For anybody else reading this who has been dealing with the same intermittent random disconnect problem as us, it sounds like the outage is only in North Vancouver but I can't be 100% certain of that. When you go to the Shaw Service Outages page for the Vancouver Lower Mainland, it says "Good news! There are currently no service outages."

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/service-updates-outages/tkb-p/service-updates/label-name/lower%20mainland

OMG

Did they do any troubleshooting or just brush you off?

rstra
Grand Master

@appleMacTech  Did they do any troubleshooting or just brush you off? 

0 Kudos

4 so-called tech support representatives brushed me off a...

appleMacTech
Grasshopper

4 so-called tech support representatives brushed me off and did no troubleshooting over the phone. All of the information I posted above was 100% incorrect. I have no idea of who the tech support agent was that told me that there was a problem in our area because there is no problem in our area whatsoever. He had no clue of what he was talking about. He promised me he would put all of my information in our notes so when I called today, you guessed it, there was nothing in our notes at all. I had to re-explain everything. It took 4 people to get through to one person who actually knew what they were doing and now they have dispatched a technician to come out to our home tomorrow claiming it is a signal strength problem which I highly doubt. What on earth has happened to this company? Nobody at Shaw knows what they're talking about anymore. It is appalling, that's the only word I can use to describe Shaw's technical support.

Already did this. Eventually it comes back on. Called sha...

Goody2
Grasshopper

Already did this. Eventually it comes back on. Called shaw did a trouble shoot said all looked good and to monitor. Well that's what I have been doing for over a month. I am in Prince George so this is a BC wide problem.

Having same problem and I am in Prince George

Goody2
Grasshopper

Having same problem and I am in Prince George

TALK TO US
We're here to help