Internet getting cut off way too often

Gomdolster
Grasshopper

Hi,

I'm currently on a 2 year plan and was actually really excited to use shaw.
Internet keeps getting discconected around 1AM everynight when I usually work and affects my schedule which is making me very frustrated.

I did notice that shaw does maintenance quite frequently, but I'm still getting disconnection on the day that was not supposed to get any sort of disruption.

Is there anyway to resolve this issue? 
Or I would really love to get out of contract, because my life is depending on it.

Thanks,

Labels (1)
6 Replies

-- my life is depending on it. If that is true, you would...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Gomdolster -- my life is depending on it.

If that is true, you would be wise to pay for a "backup" Internet connection.

Google-search for "phx-rsu2510f" -- this is a NextNet device that was marketed by Rogers Wireless. This adapter communicates over their cellular network, and has one Ethernet port.

So, if your current setup is: cable-modem --> Ethernet cable --> your own router --> your own devices

then when there is no Internet via the cable-modem, move the Ethernet cable to connect to this alternate device.

It probably will be a much-lower speed than provided via the cable-modem, but if you are "depending" on Internet access, it should work.

Or, find an old modem (external or internal), and find an ISP still offering "dial-up", and connect through the modem, for your "essential" access.

Thanks for your input. I find this as a tempoary fix. Why...

Gomdolster
Grasshopper

Thanks for your input.

I find this as a tempoary fix.
Why should I spend more money to establish 'back-up' internet when it is their responsibility to make sure the connection is stable...?

I would contact Shaw support, by phone or chat and get th...

rstra
Grand Master

I would contact Shaw support, by phone or chat and get them to check your modem to make sure it isn’t an issue  with your modem or cable in your house. To get out of your contract, you would have to be within the 10 day period for cancellations, or you would have to buy yourself out.

If your connection is super critical, I would do as the other person suggested and get a backup connection, but I would go with Telus or whichever telco is available in your neighbourhood.

-- Why should I spend more money to establish 'back-up' i...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Gomdolster -- Why should I spend more money to establish 'back-up' internet ..

Because you wrote: my life is depending on it

I took that to mean that you have some sort of critical medical equipment at home that requires a 24/7 connection, or have one of those body-worn "alert" systems that can detect that you have fallen, and cannot get up, and uses the Internet to send an alert.

>  you would have to buy yourself out

Before COVID-19, a team of Telus sales-people came to my door, and offered to "buy me out" of my Shaw two-year Value Plan, if I switched to Telus.  That was quite an offer, but they did not have any way for me to retain access to my PVR recordings.

I also have the same problem this is not the first time t...

mahmoudkarim
Grasshopper

I also have the same problem this is not the first time this had happened

They tell me to wait for a technician to come to my place 

He is booked for next week

In the meantime I cannot get much work done nor can I watch TV 

Shaw service has gone down a lot plus they have a no care attitude

Tells me to wait for the technician or I can cancel and go else where

0 Kudos

-- They tell me to wait for a technician to come to my pl...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@mahmoudkarim -- They tell me to wait for a technician to come to my place. She is booked for next week

You posted this on Friday. On which day did Shaw tell you that she will come? Next week's Sunday? Monday? Tuesday?

It is my experience that it is typical for Shaw to book their technicians around 3 days in advance. It's not like an NHL game, with 3 forwards on the bench for each forward that is currently on the ice.

> go elsewhere

Twice this year (once pre-COVID, once last week) TELUS offered to "buy me out" of my two-year Value Plan, i.e., giving me $135 in "credit" for 9 months at $15/month, if I were to switch to a 3-year contract with them. Ask them for that promotion.  TELUS also offers 1500 Mbit/second download, and 940 Mbit/second upload, for "only" $170/month, plus taxes. 🙂

TALK TO US
We're here to help