Internet Lag with PS4

lindsy
Grasshopper

Novice question. Currently running a ps4 hardwired to Hitron Modem. Had been on 150 plan. Play Destiny and although some lag usually got 100-120 download and 15 upload. Since early december the lag's been crazy. I know my account was to be automatically upgraded to 300 (without me doing anything) but not sure if its happened. Finally ran a speed test and now getting 25 download and 15 upload. Regularly. No variation! So what the heck? Nothing else has changed. Not even sure what questions to ask other than gaming is terrible. Any thoughts?gaming# #ps4

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: Internet Lag with PS4

shaw-tamara

Hi  

Just curious - have you done any sort of troubleshooting so far? If so, can you let us know which steps you have tried?  I'm also wondering if you are noticing slower speeds on any other devices, or just the PS4? 

0 Kudos

lindsy
Grasshopper

Hi

So the basic troubleshooting is what I've done in the past. Power cycle modem (my ps4 is wired to it); reboot and clear cache on ps4. I've run speed tests in the past, using my phone by the ps4. With internet 150 i used to get downloads in the 100-120 range and upoads in 15-16. In December, I got so much lag in my gaming but didn't track, then we had huge power outage. I started tracking dec 28 and was getting downloads of 22-38! Uploads were around 15. Tested again on Dec 31 and was getting 68-71 downloads and 8-15 uploads. Never had numbers as low as these december figures. I had received an email that I would be upgraded automatically to 300 internet. I'm assuming it should be done but these numbers are awful.  I did do these speed tests without any other devices operating.  I haven't noticed huge performance issues but some general slow down on my imac when searching internet - normally very fast.  I'm a rookie so not sure what other things I should be doing. Should I ask to go back to internet 150? I can hardly game (I play destiny). Any suggestions?

Lindsy

0 Kudos

Not applicable

I'm quite sure the problem is on Shaw's end and is probably going through some technical difficulties currently.

I'm paying for the 25mpbs plan but for the last couple of days, their own Shaw speed test returns 2.5 down and up for me as well as on speedtest.net. I've done the usual troubleshooting of ensuring no other devices are hogging my bandwidth, restarted my router, no QoS, etc...

Hopefully, they'll fix this soon but as far as I'm aware, its not just your PS4 and its also out of your control. 

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

Hey lindsy,

Thank you for clarifying. I've heard of some network issues with PSN and there have been several forum posts on their site about it (even directly wired speeds are still slow). I understand that with the PS4 pro, you can get up to 200 Mbps during a speed test. Have you tried a direct ethernet connection to a desktop/laptop to see if your speedtests are coming back slow through speedtest.shaw.ca

In the above, you mentioned speed tests with your phone. It may be a case of WiFi interference, I have more details on that here. You can certainly optimize your WiFi experience with the steps here. Once you have tried the steps, keep me posted on your results.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help