Internet security out of date?

Blue88
Grasshopper

Approximately daily I get a pop-up warning about the security level of my Shaw internet! What to do? 

The pop-up is of the same style as pop-ups from Shaw, so I assume it's generated by Shaw.

When I click on the WiFi icon, then the Properties for the connection to our Shaw modem, and then Settings, it shows

Security type: WPA2-Personal

which is the latest industry-standard method of protecting your wireless network, and probably overkill for us with its extra processing requirements.

Does Shaw need to fix something, or is this maybe a Shaw ad for their BlueCurve or something?

Labels (1)
7 Replies

--  What to do?  Without the exact text of that message,...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Blue88 --  What to do? 

Without the exact text of that message, maybe by using the "Windows Snipping Tool" to do a screen-capture, it is difficult to respond.

There are different protocols within "WPA2-Personal". Which protocol is your cable-modem configured to use?

0 Kudos

It would also be helpful if you could provide info on the...

guchsingh
Grasshopper

It would also be helpful if you could provide info on the device you're using. 

0 Kudos

The protocol is 802.11g

Blue88
Grasshopper

The protocol is 802.11g

0 Kudos

In properties the device is said to be Realtek RTL8822CE...

Blue88
Grasshopper

In properties the device is said to be Realtek RTL8822CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter

but the modem/router is a Shaw-issued Hitron CGNM-2250

0 Kudos

-- the protocol is 802.11 G Consider the case where your...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Blue88 -- the protocol is 802.11 G

Consider the case where your high-school French was taught to you by a native speaker of French as spoken in Que'bec, and you take a vacation to France, where Parisian French is the first language. There might be some "communication" difficulties, for both people in a conversation.

Similarly, the HITRON is capable of using different security-protocols, some of which are no longer recommended, because some of those protocols have been "hacked".  Thus, the pop-up that you are getting is an alert that the current configuration inside the HITRON is not the "best".

If you live on a farm, where WiFi signals from your neighbours do not reach your home, and there are no "strangers" hiding outside your home, trying to "sniff" your WiFi traffic, it does not matter which protocols the HITRON is using. On the other hand, living in a condominium means that there are many WiFi "clouds" overlapping into your residence. One of them could be a "bad actor", trying to "sniff" your WiFi transmissions.

0 Kudos

I have this same problem and when I called Shaw support I...

VictoriaJan
Grasshopper

I have this same problem and when I called Shaw support I was told that they could not help me because my modem is not a BlueCurve.  My modem is a Hitron which was provided to me by Shaw.  I asked if Shaw was no longer providing support for this modem and was told that they just couldn't change the Security Type because it's not a BlueCurve.  This is not acceptable.  The exact error message that I am getting on my computer is "SHAW-999999-5G isn't secure.  This Wi-Fi network uses an older security standard that's being phased out. We recommend connecting to a different network"  If there is anyone reading this who can advise me on which Security Mode, Auth Mode and Encrypt Mode I should be changing the modem too I could really use your advise/guidance.

0 Kudos

-- my configuration:

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@VictoriaJan -- my configuration:

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help