Internet service

steve33271
Grasshopper

What’s going on with the service in westlock? I’m constantly rebooting the router. I have a Gen 2 router with 1.5GB internet. It’s not working as promised. Is there something wrong in westlock? I’m rebooting the router about 12-15 times per week. Never ever had issues until it switched to Rogers

Labels (1)
6 Replies

-- did you switch cable-modems when you switched to Roger...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@steve33271 -- did you switch cable-modems when you switched to Rogers?  The newer modems (XB6/XB7/XB8) seem to require a higher signal-strength than the previous modems.

Contact Shaw Support [1-888-472-2222] and get the support person to remotely logon to the modem, to view the signal-strength reaching the device.  Being "out-of-specifications" can cause your intermittent problems. 

Also, loose connections on any coaxial-cable can be a problem. Tighten them.

0 Kudos

Yah I had them remotely log into the modem. Tech came out...

steve33271
Grasshopper

Yah I had them remotely log into the modem. Tech came out and fixed it. I am awaiting my 2.5gbit ethernet PCI Express adapter to come in for my PC to do a good speedtest to see if I am getting 1.5 Gbit internet. It only currently has gigabit ethernet right now. I had the xb6 with gigabit service and that thing was a boss. The white XB7 is what I have now and the speeds were sad. They ended up sending a tech out he diagnosed and fixed the problem. He changed the ends on the coax coming in from the pole to the house and seems good now. My gigabit ethernet is getting 988 down now. When I upgrade to the 2.5 Gbit, I am hoping for down speeds close to 1500 mbps.

0 Kudos

From last two weeks, our home internet was unstable, alwa...

Patrick713
Grasshopper

From last two weeks, our home internet was unstable, always drop the line or switch between 2.4 and 5.0, we need constantly rebooting the router. Also the router is getting very noisy, can you arrange a service? May be need change the router.

Thanks  

0 Kudos

You will need to contact Rogers directly, they won’t book...

rstra
Grand Master

@Patrick713  You will need to contact Rogers directly, they won’t book a service call from an anonymous post.

0 Kudos

Thanks a lot! I'll try get in touch with Rogers.

Patrick713
Grasshopper

Thanks a lot! I'll try get in touch with Rogers.

0 Kudos

-- to do a good speedtest to see if I am getting 1.5 Gbit...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@steve33271 -- to do a good speedtest to see if I am getting 1.5 Gbit internet. It only currently has gigabit ethernet right now. 

As the Shaw Speed Test web-page states, simultaneously run the Speed Test on TWO computers, to get an average of 750 Mbps per computer, i.e. a total of 1500 Mbps.

Note that many servers on the Internet are connected via 1000 Mbps network adapters, meaning that what they send to you is throttled to that maximum speed.  The same limitation may apply to some of the Internet routers between your computer and the "source" system- they don't have 10 Gbps network ports.  Obviously, Internet routers that use fibre-optic (or coaxial) cables for their connections will be much faster than 1 Gbps.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help