Jump to solution

Are both your desktop and your laptop running the same an...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Are both your desktop and your laptop running the same anti-virus software, or the same "Internet Security" package?

Are they running the same version (with updates) of Microsoft Windows?

What's the exact text of that "blocked" message?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

This is the message I get:  This site can't be reached,...

Pennya
Grasshopper

This is the message I get:  This site can't be reached,  The connection was reset.  Try: Checking the connection, Checking the proxy and the firewall, Running Windows Network Diagnostics.  ERR_CONNECTION_RESET.  I have had a computer teckkie look at my browsers (Chrome, Firefox, IE), and he has reinstalled Chrome, cleaned out my history, uninstalled Norton's and tried going to the site, then reinstalled Norton's.  Your Shaw technician also checked my Chrome settings.  I am on the most current version of Chrome.  I am wondering if it could be a TLS Handshake issue?  I went into my settings for time and date and synced the time.  So, since the new modem and syncing the time, yesterday I was able to get into the site, but it was painfully slow, it took about 6 minutes to get into the site when it normally would only be about a minute.  It spent a lot of time trying to do the TLS handshake, and a lot of time apps3.ams-sga.arc.gc.ca.  During tax season I need to go to this site regularly, and the time it is taking is not workable.  I have been using the same desktop for more than a year, and my computer is fairly fast, so all other websites are quick, and this CRA site used to be quick before Blue Curve.   And it was quick when I was using the computer repair shop internet.  Thanks

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

> apps3.ams-sga.arc.gc.ca My computer cannot find an IP-a...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> apps3.ams-sga.arc.gc.ca

My computer cannot find an IP-address for that FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name).

If your computer can, try using the "tracert" command-line utility to target its IP-address.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

This is the CRA login website I am trying to access:  htt...

Pennya
Grasshopper

This is the CRA login website I am trying to access:  https://apps2.ams-sga.cra-arc.gc.ca/gol-ged/awsc/amss/browser/check?program=pzaz&target=login&lang=e...  and while it is trying, it says Performing a TLS handshake to app2.ams-sga.cra-arc.gc.ca down at the bottom left of my monitor. There may be more but I can not see it.  Then Performing a TLS handshake to cms-sgj.cra-arc.gc.ca   and there may be more that I can not see....I eventually end up at the log in, painfully slow.  I am not sure how to use the "tracert" command, but will contact my computer teckkie, and see what he thinks.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Yes, both desktop and laptop are running the same Norton'...

Pennya
Grasshopper

Yes, both desktop and laptop are running the same Norton's anti-virus software (one package covers several computers), and both are running Windows 10.  My desktop has the most current updated version of Windows 10, but my Surface laptop has not had the most recent Windows update.  It looks like the last Windows update was in Nov?  I was able to access CRA fine back then,  I also tried "My Account" at CRA and it was so slow on my desktop that I quit and signed in on the laptop.  It takes about 3 seconds for each next button on the laptop, and more than a minute for each button on the desktop.  I am no longer getting the: This site can't be reached error, just really slow now.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

How many devices (wired? wireless? printers?) are connect...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

How many devices (wired? wireless? printers?) are connected to your Shaw router?

Power-off all of them, with the exception of leaving your desktop & laptop running.

Open the Windows "Task Manager" on both computers, and switch to the "Performance" tab.

Does it show any "network" usage in that window?

Minimize that window, and connect to the CRA web-site.

Restore that Task Manager windows, to see the level (Kbytes/second) of network activity.

Which web-browsers have you tried using? Internet Explorer (still included in Windows 10), Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer Beta, Chrome, Firefox, Safari ?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I powered off my printers, looked at my desktop task mana...

Pennya
Grasshopper

I powered off my printers, looked at my desktop task manager, performance, Ethernet.  When I tried to sign on, the readings were high, the graph spiked, maybe between 100 Kbps and 450 Kbps.  The Surface has a IPv6 address, but my desktop does not?  And the IPv4 addresses are slightly different between the laptop and the desktop.  The adapter name for the Surface is Wi-Fi and for the desktop is Ethernet.  I could not get in at all on the CRA site today on  the desktop.  I am using Chrome, but have tried Firefox and Internet Explorer as well.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

do you have protected browsing enabled on the BlueCurve m...

shaw-tony

@Pennya do you have protected browsing enabled on the BlueCurve modem? It may also be a specific setting in your anti-virus that is causing the connection to slow down/stop, are they under factory settings?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I don't know if I have protected browsing enabled on the...

Pennya
Grasshopper

I don't know if I have protected browsing enabled on the BlueCurve modem, just the default settings.  I have had 2 Shaw technicians look at it.  And my laptop is wirelessley connected to the same modem, and I can get on the site.  I have removed the Norton's and tried the website with out Norton's.  The Norton's would have been factory settings, as I did not change anything.  I have done that twice.  One of the computer tekkie guys suggested I use a VPN to get onto the CRA site, and so far I can actually get into the site using the VPN.  I am not sure if I will be able to efile though, but will try.  He also sent me a link to https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2014158-cannot-access-a-website-with-one-particular-computer where this person back in 2017 was having the same problem I am.  He said it did not get resolved until there was a Windows update.  My laptop does not have the latest Windows update because the hard drive is too small, so maybe that is the difference?  Could it be a setting in Windows security?  The other computer tekkie suggested reloading Windows, but that is a lot of work and time, and no guarantee it would work, so I would really  prefer another solution.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

> my laptop is wirelessly connected to the same modem, an...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> my laptop is wirelessly connected to the same modem, and I can get on the site.  

The CRA's web-server sees the "public" IP-address that Shaw has assigned to the Shaw router.

It does not see the "private" IP-addresses assigned to your two devices. The IP-addresses for your 2 devices should be quite similar, but not 100% identical.

If you temporarily disable IPv6 on your laptop, can you still connect?

If you temporarily enable IPv6 on your desktop, can you connect?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help