Jump to solution

it is possible for the CRA to have blocked your IP. If po...

shaw-tony

@Pennya it is possible for the CRA to have blocked your IP. If possible are you able to touch base with someone at the CRA to whitelist your IP? 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I did contact CRA, they said they do not block IP address...

Pennya
Grasshopper

I did contact CRA, they said they do not block IP addresses.  Mind you, the person I talked to may not know.  When Shaw replaced my modem, would I have been given new IP addresses?  And is my laptop on the same IP address as my desktop?  I can access CRA from my laptop.  Maybe it would be easier to have Shaw change my IP address, than try to have CRA do something.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

it's true that a new modem would change your IP. I'm wond...

shaw-tony

@Pennya it's true that a new modem would change your IP. I'm wondering if it could be an issue with the network card/firewall on there causing this issue. I'm just trying to rule out all the possibilities. Is it possible for you to swap out your existing network card to see if that resolve this problem?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

would VPN work if I was having a network card issue?  I c...

Pennya
Grasshopper

would VPN work if I was having a network card issue?  I can get onto the CRA site using a VPN (Opera).  And I am using the same computer that was working fine before I had the change to Blue Curve.  And I was able to get onto the CRA site from my desktop when I took it to the computer tekkie's office using his internet.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

> When Shaw replaced my modem, would I have been given ne...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> When Shaw replaced my modem, would I have been given new IP addresses? 

Definitely yes. Each modem has a unique MAC (Media Acquisition Control) address. Shaw uses that "uniqueness" to assign one IP-address per MAC.

> And is my laptop on the same IP address as my desktop? 

Not 100% the same, but "close". An IP-address has 4 parts: aa.bb.cc.dd   Your two devices will have identical "aa.bb.cc" parts, but different values for "dd".  However, when your devices send through the modem, there is "address translation" going on.  For both computers, the CRA will see the IP-address assigned by Shaw to the modem, rather than the IP-address assigned by the Shaw modem to your computer.

Compare to sharing your "land-line" home-phone with others in your home. Anybody in your home who places a call will show the same telephone-number to the called person. When somebody calls your number, you have to "translate" the incoming call -- "honey, this caller wants to talk to you, not to me". The Shaw modem automatically "translates" all the incoming traffic, knowing which of your computers sent something, and therefore it must be that computer that expects a reply.

> I can access CRA from my laptop. 

So, it must be something on your desktop that is "different". Different web-browser? Different security-settings for "secure-HTTP" encoding/decoding? Different operating system?

> Maybe it would be easier to have Shaw change my IP address, than try to have CRA do something.

I very-much doubt that any change by Shaw will remediate your problem. There is some "incompatibility" between your web-browser and the target web-site (the CRA) that you have not yet found.

Can your desktop connect to other "secure" web-sites, such as an online-banking web-site, e.g., www.bmo.com  or www.vancity.com -- these web-sites should have equivalent "security" configurations as the CRA's web-site.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thank-you for all that great information.  I can access m...

Pennya
Grasshopper

Thank-you for all that great information.  I can access my online banking from my desktop no problem.  For browsers, on my desktop I am having the same issues when I use Chrome, Firefox & Internet Explorer.  I have reinstalled Chrome, and have made sure it and Firefox are up to date.  I have Windows 10 on both computers, the desktop has the latest update, but the laptop does not.  I have been using the same desktop for over a year, and it accessed CRA fine until I switched to Blue Curve, or maybe that was around the time of a Windows update?  I started Blue Curve in Jan.  I don't need to access CRA as often in Dec and Jan, so I don't remember the exact date when I started having issues.  If I have this "different" setting on my desktop, would I be able to access CRA from a different location?  As I did at the computer tekkie's shop?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

yeah this is a really unique situation where just one PC...

shaw-tony

@Pennya yeah this is a really unique situation where just one PC doesn't work. Can you access the site on other devices as well (phone, tablet, etc)?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Yes, I just tried it on my Samsung cell, and got on the C...

Pennya
Grasshopper

Yes, I just tried it on my Samsung cell, and got on the CRA site no problem.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Do you have any other wired devices to test the connectio...

shaw-tony

@Pennya Do you have any other wired devices to test the connection? Can you run a traceroute to the CRA website and Google.ca?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I have the issue of not being able to get to cra.ab.ca wi...

TCayzer
Grasshopper

I have the issue of not being able to get to cra.ab.ca without a VPN.

It doesn't work on three different computers, two Windows (Chrome) and one MAC (Safari), all directly connected by ethernet cables.

When I run a tracert :

Unable to resolve target system name cra.ab.ca

To google.ca I get 14 lines, 3 with Request timed out and most others around 23ms

Please help, and let me know if you need other information.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help