IPv6 Address Not Assigned

MumboJumbo
Grasshopper

Hi All,

When I have statically assigned an ipv4 address to a device on my network, it fails to receive an ipv6 address. 

Checking on two of the devices in my network I can verify that this is the case. Any devices that are using DHCP will receive ipv6 addresses as well as the ipv4. 

Hardware: 
- Shaw Blue Curve Gateway
CGM4140COM

Can anyone confirm if this is expected behavior?

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/equipment-info-fibre-gateway-xb6/ta-p/5632?responseId=8...

Labels (1)
2 Replies

-- when you set a "static" IP-address, did you set it on...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@MumboJumbo -- when you set a "static" IP-address, did you set it on the device, or did you configure the BlueCurve to "reserve" a specific IP-address for the MAC-address for your device?

Lastly, for what reason do you need an IPv6 address?

0 Kudos

Within the BlueCurve menu is where I made the change.  -...

MumboJumbo
Grasshopper

Within the BlueCurve menu is where I made the change. 
- Connected Devices > Devices > Edit Device

Checking this further, I found that my original post is not accurate, though I'm still unsure how IPV6 addresses are assigned out as one of my devices still does not have one. 
Both devices with a static IP reserved now have an IPV6 address. The one device that does not have a static IP does not have an IPV6 address. (Basically the opposite of my original post) 

I am trying to simulate network traffic over an IPV6 address so that I can test network monitoring tools. Without the traffic, there is no data to report on. I've managed to use a different device on my network for this purpose. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help