-- what risk for public in 25 port rule? Does it hurt any...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Gkirko -- what risk for public in 25 port rule? Does it hurt anybody (may be only somebody feelings)

Mail-filtering, via blocking spammer's access to 25/SMTP is a good thing, if it blocks "phishing" E-mail targeted at your grandmother ("Hi granny, I am in Europe, and I lost my credit-card and airplane tickets, and I need you to use Western Union to send $1000 to me, so that I can pay the hotel, and buy new tickets to return home"). 

So, is your granny a "nobody" ? When you tell her that she has been "phished", will that hurt her feelings?

0 Kudos

granny is responsible for herself. Her family is responsi...

Usrnm
Grasshopper

granny is responsible for herself.
Her family is responsible for her.
Someone could knock on her door & coerce her into giving them money
Is Shaw going to take responsibility for granny by placing a guard at everyone's door??

0 Kudos

-- Is Shaw going to take responsibility for granny by pla...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Usrnm -- Is Shaw going to take responsibility for granny by placing a guard at everyone's door??

Shaw has already done that, for her computer.

If her computer is compromised, Shaw's port-blocking will prevent the computer from sending directly to "other" SMTP-servers, e.g., Bell, Telus, Hotmail, Google, with a flood of "spam" messages that bypass the spam-filtering and spam-blocking that is done by Shaw's SMTP-server.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help