Jump to solution

Losing wifi connection

appreciatesalla
Grasshopper

Several times during the day, my device lose wireless internet access. The icon indicates that I remain connected, but the web browser or app displays a message that a requested action cannot be done because I’ve lost contact. Usually I can reconnect by toggling the wifi on my device off and on. Less commonly I need to unplug the router/modem. The problem seems worse when more than one person is trying to use the internet. Please, I hope you can help with a solution, as my family has become rather frustrated with the situation.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Re: Losing wifi connection

shaw-tamara

Hi appreciatesallassistance 

That's definitely frustrating! We'll see what we can do to help you out. I'm just curious, have you done any other troubleshooting besides resetting the modem? It sounds like it might help to change the WiFi channel, so if you haven't done that yet you can give that a try. The steps will vary depending on your modem but you can find the instructions here if you need them: https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-1046

You may need to test out a few to see which works best. Let us know how that goes!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Jump to solution

Re: Losing wifi connection

shaw-tamara

Hi appreciatesallassistance 

That's definitely frustrating! We'll see what we can do to help you out. I'm just curious, have you done any other troubleshooting besides resetting the modem? It sounds like it might help to change the WiFi channel, so if you haven't done that yet you can give that a try. The steps will vary depending on your modem but you can find the instructions here if you need them: https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-1046

You may need to test out a few to see which works best. Let us know how that goes!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thanks for the tip however after manually setting the cha...

WT2
Grasshopper

Thanks for the tip however after manually setting the channels my issue remains. The phones in the house all drop wifi and revert to LTE, distance is not the issue as I'm sitting 5 feet from the BlueCurve modem and this happens more than once an hour.

Jump to solution

-- this is a user-to-user discussion forum, not a direct...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@WT2 -- this is a user-to-user discussion forum, not a direct path to Shaw Support.

All we can do is to recommend that you contact Shaw Support (currently, online chat is given priority over telephone), and get them to trouble-shoot, including remotely logging-on to your modem, to check the signal-strength reaching your modem. The connection between your devices seems to be OK, but the connection between your modem and the Internet seems to be problematic.

Jump to solution

I have this happen every other day, and it's so annoying....

Jordanchoy
Grasshopper

I have this happen every other day, and it's so annoying. I've contacted Shaw support multiple times about it and all they can ever tell me is to restart the modem or router when that happens.

Restarting the router every other day, which takes 10 minutes each time and only notifies me of the disconnect when I go to use the internet (I need it right then), is not acceptable. A solution would be how to prevent this internet drop, not to revive it.

Maybe Telus will have a solution

Jump to solution

-- I've contacted Shaw support multiple times about it an...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Jordanchoy -- I've contacted Shaw support multiple times about it and all they can ever tell me is to restart the modem or router when that happens.

That is not good support.

They should remotely logon to your cable-modem, to check its incoming signal-strength, and other values.

They should offer to schedule a technician to visit your location, and trouble-shoot.

They should offer to replace the cable-modem.

Keep calling Shaw. Try telephoning late at night, to connect to a Shaw Call Centre in Ontario or the Maritimes, instead of the local Shaw office. You'll get a different person, who may be more helpful.

Jump to solution

I've had the same issue for a long time, 2.4ghz is basica...

ShaunS
Grasshopper

I've had the same issue for a long time, 2.4ghz is basically useless, 5g I have to toggle off and on a half dozen times a day. shaw support was no help. doesn't matter where in the house I am either. some devices have the connection just cut and others say connected but no data will flow. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Shaw gave a duplicate IP address to a local business here...

danadams
Grasshopper

Shaw gave a duplicate IP address to a local business here, haven't asked them to fix that  due to the Covid 19 viruses.

It may be that Shaw wants to peddle their 'supposedly faster' new fiber optic plans.

After a while it is easy to see when Shaw is turning down the Internet. All  of the wireless operators do that.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

--  Shaw gave a duplicate IP address to a local business...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@danadams --  Shaw gave a duplicate IP address to a local business here, haven't asked them to fix that  due to the Covid 19 viruses.

That is really weird. If that is true, you and the other business would not have any useful Internet access.

Contact Shaw Business, and get them to resolve the issue.

> It may be that Shaw wants to peddle their 'supposedly faster' new fiber-optic plans.

Note that "old" customers can stay with "grandfathered" service plans, but all brand-new customers must select one of the new "Fibre+" plans.

> After a while it is easy to see when Shaw is turning down the Internet.

OK, if you say do, but I really doubt it, unless the Shaw infrastructure in P.A. is overloaded -- too many customers, causing "saturation" of the backbone from your location to Parksville (Qualicum? Nanaimo?).

> All of the wireless operators do that.

Really?

As a customer of Shaw Internet, you can have "wireless" within your home, but you have "wired" (coaxial-cable) up-and-down your street. 

Of course, outside of your home, if you find a "ShawOpen" or "ShawGo" access-point in downtown P.A.,, you will have wireless from your computer/tablet/phone/device to that access-point.

If you are a customer of Shaw Mobile, then you have wireless cellular-access.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Shaw changed my IP number to accomodate the business by a...

danadams
Grasshopper

Shaw changed my IP number to accomodate the business by adding a (2). Just a bad way to do things as I have had the number much longer than the business. 'We'el just stick it to this unimportant guy'

Anyway, did not realize this is a forum site so doesn't help.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help