McAfee SecurityCenter support?

Microfiche62
Grasshopper

Has anyone successfully managed to get support from McAfee for their Shaw supplied SecurityCenter software?

I am not talking basic "read from a script" support like "Is your computer plugged in"

I am having issues with getting bugchecks specifically tied to a McAfee service that I think is related to a VPN I am using.

When I contacted McAfee, they told me my email isn't in their records as a subscriber so they can't help me. Shaw tells me McAfee has to help me... and around and around we go!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

-- here is my "script": uninstall McAfee; after restart...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Microfiche62  -- here is my "script":

1. uninstall McAfee;
  2. after restarting your computer, the built-in Microsoft Defender will be active as an anti-virus;
  3. download a fresh copy of the Shaw version of McAfee, and install it, or install some other "free" anti-virus software.

After doing this, what "bugchecks" will you be getting? Exact words? Error-codes/messages? What Windows "service" is showing the issue?

0 Kudos

Not sure what your penchant for "quotation marks" is all...

Microfiche62
Grasshopper

Not sure what your penchant for "quotation marks" is all about, especially since you didn't really "address my question"

This is a fresh install on a brand new PC. However, it was also happening on my old PC.

The bugcheck is not tied to a "Windows service", it is tie to a McAfee service "as I mentioned" - it is a BAD_POOL_CALLER error related to a call to NETIO.SYS by the McAfee executable MMSSHOST.EXE

As the exact same error related to the exact same McAfee service happens every time, I am pretty sure that installing a new AV would fix it.

However, this software is part of the subscription I pay for, and if I can make it work, it is easier and cheaper all around.

But thanks for your "help" anyway. 

-- "sometimes", the "free" advice that you get on this "f...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Microfiche62 -- "sometimes", the "free" advice that you get on this "forum" is worth "exactly" what you "paid" to receive the "advice".  🙂

So, "shooting the messenger" is a way for other "volunteers" on this "peer-to-peer" forum to choose to not reply to you, because you might make an "ad hominen" attack on the responder, rather than "thanking" the volunteer who tried to "help" you.

Via "Shaw On Demand", watch a few recent opening-dialogues by Stephen Colbert's TV show, where he pokes fun at the excessive (and incorrect) use of "air-quotes" during speeches by Donald Trump Junior.  🙂

"'nuff said"  🙂

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help