My internet 300 is all funked up

kakifly
Grasshopper

As of the week of August 18th, I noticed my internet 300Mbps speeds tanked down to 60Mbps.(WIRED Ethernet connection) I talked to a shaw rep, they told me to switch up my router, tried that, got the same style again (hitron) and nothing changed. And then randomly for about 6 days it was once again 300Mbps. And then it tanked to 60Mbps again for the last 2 weeks. I've tried literally everything in the book including reinstalling drivers for ethernet adapter, trying old versions, tried safemode with networking, tried a different computer, tried all the router ports, 6 different ethernet cables, any time i do a speedtest this is the result: https://www.speedtest.net/result/8604869214 Interestingly enough, the result is different on fast.com: Which yields 120Mbps...Speedtest.net gives the closest real result however since my actual download speed from steam, blizzard, origin, youtube, twitch, anything, is around 5 MBps.

My wireless off of the hitron router, running the 5G WIRELESS...gives my phone the correct 300+Mbps. So wired connection seems to be stuck at 60 Mbps, while my 5G wireless out of the same router is producing the correct 300Mbps.

What the heck is going on? Why would the wired be stuck at 60Mbps and yet the 5G wireless giving 300Mbps?

Labels (1)
5 Replies

that is certainly odd. Did you notice the same results in...

shaw-tony

@kakifly that is certainly odd. Did you notice the same results in multiple different browsers (try disabling your extensions/add-ons)? If it is intermittent, it may be signal related. At that point, touch base with technical support so they can investigate or schedule a technician to resolve that on-site with you.

0 Kudos

A lot of wired Ethernet is limited to 100Mbps by switches...

CarlM
Grasshopper

A lot of wired Ethernet is limited to 100Mbps by switches, cables, and the jack on your computer. You need to be sure every component supports 1Gbps to get the higher speeds.  60 Mbps is pretty normal on 100 Mbps Ethernet.  Your computer should tell you the Ethernet speed in the network properties. 

I have been having this problem since I moved and got a n...

Jinaar
Grasshopper

I have been having this problem since I moved and got a new modem for the 600Mbps package. This only happens against playing Heroes of the Storm (Blizzard). 

It is always random. A can go for a good week without the issue and then one day it will happen multiple times back to back almost. 

- ingame, connectivity is lost 

- I run SPEED TEST, results are 40Mbps Up and 10Mbps Down. 

- After 3-5 minutes, Internet will normalize and return back to 300-600Mbps. 

- as with everyone else, the same troubleshooting has been done and no fixes found. I am forever troubleshooting this on my own. 

Apologies for the reply, as it has no solution for us, but the more this is noted, the better I hope. 

0 Kudos

I just checked the signal to your modem and they are out...

shaw-tony

@Jinaar I just checked the signal to your modem and they are out of spec which may cause the random disconnections you've experienced. Are there any splitters or kinked/loose coax cables connected from the wall outlet to your modem? I'd recommend reseating the connections or swapping them out for new ones (free from your local Shaw retailer) to see if it helps. 

0 Kudos

Good morning, Tony. I am not at home to verify everything...

Jinaar
Grasshopper

Good morning, Tony. I am not at home to verify everything, but from memory, this is the setup for the internet:

Shaw Modem -> coaxial cable into wall -> (Possibly a splitter in the basement, need to confirm) -> Line outside to back alley.

I will review when I get home for sure. This is an older home so the possibilities of age to the cabling inside can be a factor. Thank you for checking into this remotely. 

Jin

TALK TO US
We're here to help