NAS (DNS-323) not working with BlueCurve

skorpien
Grasshopper

I've recently switched to Shaw BlueCurve, and since then I've been unable to access my NAS (DNS-323).

I can ping its IP from command prompt, but when I enter its IP address in any browser it says it cannot find it. Additionally I can't map it using either its name or its IP.

I've tried setting a static IP in the BlueCurve admin page with no luck. Restarted both the NAS and modem and even restored modem to factory settings and problem still persists.

Any suggestions on how I can make this work would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Labels (1)
12 Replies

unfortunately, this is not supported but users on the for...

shaw-tony

@skorpien unfortunately, this is not supported but users on the forum could chime in. As for setting a static IP, this is not available for consumer accounts. Business accounts will have that feature. It should be UPnP. If the problems persist, you could bridge the modem and set up a 3rd party router to connect the NAS.

0 Kudos

what is your DHCP settings and what was the IP of your NAS?

thesainted1
Grasshopper

what is your DHCP settings and what was the IP of your NAS?

0 Kudos

I haven't changed the DHCP settings much on the BlueCurve...

skorpien
Grasshopper

I haven't changed the DHCP settings much on the BlueCurve gateway. I changed the DHCP range from 10.0.0.2 - 10.0.0.253 to 10.0.0.3 - 10.0.0.253 as I have a computer with a static IP of 10.0.0.2 that I set on the computer itself before figuring out DHCP reservation on the gateway.

The DNS-323 IP is 10.0.0.3 (set via DHCP reservation). Doing a port scan using nmap shows that there are no open ports.

I have a suspicion that if I can somehow open the proper SMB ports on that IP address, I'd be able to configure and map the drive, but trying to figure that out isn't very intuitive or user friendly.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply. That's rather unfortunate that it's...

skorpien
Grasshopper

Thanks for the reply. That's rather unfortunate that it's not supported as many people use NAS drives regularly.

For the static IP, I meant internal IP address (ie. 10.0.0.3 vs the IP address assigned by Shaw).

And about bridge mode, unfortunately I cannot do that as I have the BlueSky TV boxes and that would render them useless.

0 Kudos

Turn off your NAS.   then try pinging 10.0.0.3.  I"m wond...

thesainted1
Grasshopper

Turn off your NAS.

then try pinging 10.0.0.3.  I"m wondering if something else grabbed that IP before you did the reservation and the lease hasn't expired.  

also, is this connecting through a swtich/router?  What is in the middle between you, the nas and the shaw modem?

0 Kudos

I had the same issue with my DLINK DNS 320 which was not...

Gufran
Grasshopper

I had the same issue with my DLINK DNS 320 which was not readable by blue curve. This is because the conventional IP is changed by blue curve and if you want it to work, go to your DLINK admin and change the network to be DHCP enabled and blue curve will allocate a new IP which will be readable and you will have your NAS drive available

0 Kudos

> Doing a port scan using NMAP shows that there are no op...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Doing a port scan using NMAP shows that there are no open ports.

Did you do the scan to the NAS ("10.0.0.yyy") from a computer on the same network, i.e., with a "10.0.0.xxx" IP-address ?

If not, the firewall inside the BlueCurve may have blocked all the network traffic from reaching the NAS.

Is there a lamp beside the Ethernet socket on the NAS?  Does it blink differently while NMAP is running, to indicate that packets are reaching the NAS?  Similarly, is there a lamp beside the Ethernet socket on the BlueCurve that has the Ethernet cable that connects to the NAS?

0 Kudos

Not sure if this is fixed.  I had difficulty to access my...

XHP
Grasshopper

Not sure if this is fixed.  I had difficulty to access my Synology 218j after I linked it to either of 2 ether net ports on the back of Shaw Blue Curve.

1. Synology DS apps on my some mobile device still work with Synology ID in home (not tried when out from home).  Meanwhile, on some mobile devices in home, I had to input 218j's IP (instead of Synology ID) to access 218j.

2. On PCs (no matter running Win10 or Ubuntu), I couldn't access 218j by either a. DSM interface in browser or by b. 218j's IP such as \\192.168.0.XX.  The error message run as "refused to connect".

Searched online, I tried many ways, none worked.  I even completely turned off Win10's firewall and Blue Curve's firewall, still no luck.  Seems that Blue Curve, as a switch or router, blocks terminals from seeing each other (but why Synology mobile apps work is a mystery).

At the end of the day, I had to take out the Airport Extreme and attach back to Blue Curve, then connect 218j to Airport Extreme.  Everything back to normal.  Blue Curve very likely is the cause.

So in short, to me, adding a router behind Blue Curve might work.

0 Kudos

-- by b. 218j's IP such as \\192.168.0.XX.  Is that a "pr...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@XHP -- by b. 218j's IP such as \\192.168.0.XX. 

Is that a "private" IP-address given to computers connected to the "LAN" ports on the NAS?

What happens if you try \\10.0.0.3  ???

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help