NETGEAR Gigabit Cable Modem (CM1000) instead of XB6 for customers not needing much...

langley834721
Grasshopper

Hello Shaw:
Please make a "simple" Gigabit modem available, something like this CM1000?
If this works with Xfinity from Comcast it should work with Shaw?
No Wi-Fi on board, no fan, just a DOCSIS 3.1 modem.

• Support all cable internet speed tiers, up to Gigabit (1000 Mbps) service. Separate router required for WiFi.
  • DOCSIS 3.1 up to 10X faster download speeds than DOCSIS 3.0. DOCSIS 3.1 is OFDM 2x2+ DOCSIS 3.0 32x8 channel bonding
  • Compatible with Xfinity from Comcast, Cox, Mediacom Cable, and more

Annotation 2020-06-27 215646.jpgAnnotation 2020-06-27 215645.jpg

Labels (1)
18 Replies

-- Please make a "simple" Gigabit modem available ... Tha...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@langley834721 -- Please make a "simple" Gigabit modem available ...

That is not simple, on "their end". Adding "back-end" support could be a major investment (training front-line staff and road-warrior technicians), and more.  It's like announcing that Shaw customers in Richmond BC will be able to telephone Shaw, and speak Mandarin, even when the telephone-call is picked-up by a 24/7 Shaw call-centre employee in Moncton.

Use a "bridged" HITRON modem -- no fan, 4 ports, no Wi-Fi, stable at 300 Mbits/second.

How many sites on the Internet can actually send a steady stream at above 300 Mbps?  Not many.

On your home network, how many computers do you have that simultaneously are receiving a steady-stream at 100 Mbps, such that the sum of their streams exceeds 300 Mbps? Probably none.

So, while having "Internet 600" or "Fibre+ Gig" gives you bragging rights, it's not useful to most Shaw customers.

I hear you mdk but my question was not so much about if G...

langley834721
Grasshopper

I hear you mdk but my question was not so much about if Gigabit is useful or not but more about Shaw's willingness to accept a DOCSIS 3.1 modem (no Wi-Fi) on their network....
If the technology would support a DOCSIS 3.1 modem then why not "accepting" it, does not necessarily mean Shaw support would have to deal with it?

You are of course 100% correct, most of us do not need Gigabit, in my case I would be super happy with symmetrical lets say ~600 Mbps Up AND down...
In absence of that I chose to go with Gigabit, also supporting/encouraging Shaw to continue with making investments into the network...
If nobody subscribes to Gigabit we will never see faster speeds...and I am thinking 2.5 Gbps....

Now my question really comes from the loud XB-6 modem (Its in my office and I can hear the fan wine all the time...)
Hoping Shaw will also roll out the new Technicolor XB-7 (Wi-Fi 6) modem eventally... (external power supply, better air flow, no fan > lower temp)...Xfinity (Comcast) just rolled them out...
xfi_advanced_gateway_2020_transparent.0.png0250d054a56fcc73063ab7f3b0faa895.jpg

Model Numbers: CGM4331COM
Friendly Model Name: XB7
Gigabit Ethernet Ports: 4
Dual-Band WiFi Option: Yes
Maximum Data Throughput: 2.5 Gbps

I thought that Shaw Business would have a modem only solu...

rstra
Grand Master

I thought that Shaw Business would have a modem only solution for their gigabit customers, but all I could find was the Hitron CODA-458.

Ii agree that it would be nice to have a modem only option for the residential customers, but it appears that Shaw prefers the all in one option. 

0 Kudos

Hitron CODA-458?

langley834721
Grasshopper

You mean Hitron CODA-4582?
Yeah, not a wired modem from what I can see, integrated router (Intel Puma 7) with Wi-Fi so similar to the XB-6?

0 Kudos

> not a wired modem From looking at Hitron CODA-4582, it...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> not a wired modem

From looking at Hitron CODA-4582, it has FOUR Gigabit Ethernet ports, and WiFi, but I did not see if it is "fan-less".

I'll have to physically check it out, since I know of one nearby business that has this device, where I can view/touch it.

Cool! Wondering if Shaw would make this modem available t...

langley834721
Grasshopper

Cool! Wondering if Shaw would make this modem available to non business customers?

The fan noise of the XB-6 I am pretty sure bothers a few people, my first such device with active cooling....
probably part of the reason for the XB-7 fanless design?
Also the XB6 must be expensive, and if the features are not being used a wired modem would make sense, no hidden broadcast either...

This all started for me with relocating both modem and Asus AC router (I want them close by for troubleshooting..) upstairs (3-floor house). I wanted better Wi-Fi coverage but did not want to leave the modem in the basement (only have CAT5e used for phones but now switched to VoIP..) in the walls and Coax going to most rooms...so I used the Coax upstairs to connect the modem but now the noise 🙂

0 Kudos

your feedback is appreciated. I will pass this along to o...

shaw-tony

@langley834721 your feedback is appreciated. I will pass this along to our product team to review.

Would love to see any other option than the XB6 for gigab...

MechaPrime42
Grasshopper

Would love to see any other option than the XB6 for gigabit. Currently on my second one and it is starting to fail. Not looking forward to a third one, but stuck with no other option. For whatever reason they are overheating while sitting out in the open. Even when we have the A/C on cooling the room.

Stuart Chapman
0 Kudos

I looked at a Shaw Business customer's equipment. They ha...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

I looked at a Shaw Business customer's equipment.

They had a Shaw cable-modem supporting Gigabit speeds, with 4 LAN ports, and WiFi.

Because it was "fan-less", it was silent. 🙂

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help